Game broken when using ANY Nexus mods.

ramakgaming

Thank you for that information Reaper0021 - IT WORKED! I can finally play the game again! HOORAY!

This is something that needs stickied, for in case others have this problem, it can be easily found!

Okay. Then last thing I can say. Based on my OWN EXPERIENCE and nothing else. I did a full uninstall of the game, deleting all folders, reinstalled fresh and started with NO Steam mods. First, delete and unsubscribe to the Steam mods so they don't load up when you reinstall the game. Then, do the Nexus mods you want 1st one at a time. I did this when I had messed up my game BAD with scripts, bad .ini files, etc. Maybe try that.

Good I'm glad you can play with Nexus Mods now. Enjoy the variety my friend.

On a final note:

STEAM is good at what it does, but as far as auto-downloading mods, updating them properly, etc., it's not the best. Sometimes, it's not always essential when a new version of a mod comes out to immediately update to that new version; STEAM does that and as a result can cause tremendous instability issues. Moreover, when STEAM deletes a mod, it doesn't always get rid of all the scripts, .ini tweaks, etc associated with said mod. What your left with is a hodge-podge folder full of bits and pieces of mods and it can cause great instability issues.

Whenever you experience crashes of an unexplained nature, or the game becomes terribly unstable to the point it's unplayable and your pulling your hair out, then it's time for the easy fix and uninstall:

1) Start your game and at the launcher, go into the Data Files on the launcher and unsubscribe to and delete all STEAM mods from your game or else they will just reload when you start the game again.

2) Uninstall Skyrim from your system. You will then have to manually delete your Game Folder located in My Documents/My Games/Skyrim

3) You MAY then have to go into you main program folder and manually delete the game folder located in C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steam Apps/Common/Skyrim.

4) Restart your PC.

5) Install Skyrim. After it finishes and it updates through Steam with latest patches, again restart PC.

6) Load up your Skyrim game and play it for a couple of minutes. Then exit the game. This allows the game to create the proper folders needed for mods.

7) Load up your NMM and start small. Go for a mod like "Enhanced Blood Textures." Install it and then run the game, testing stability. Then from there, follow each Mod Authors instructions on your chosen mods.

I'm of a like mind with "Gopher", one of the best modders (IMO) out there. I follow all his videos and I suggest you all do the same as the man is very detailed on how to install mods and how to make your gaming experience that much better in Skyrim. Follow him on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/user/GophersVids Enjoy!!

Edited by Reaper0021

Glad that worked but I have one more suggestion for folks experiencing mysterious CTDs. Check "plugins.txt". For some reason any time I add or subtract mods, even just checking or unchecking an already installed esp, it adds a second instance of Skyrim.esm (or is it esp?) to the top of that plugins.txt. This makes the game CTD sometime before it drops you into your game. Sometimes it will generate an error. I've given up on trying to fix it and I just keep a shortcut to plugins.txt on my desktop. Any time I make changes to my mods I check that file and erase the "skyrim.esm" entry. One will start with a capital s, the other starts with a lower case s. Delete the lower case one. If you cannot find plugins.txt it's because you have windows set to hide system files. You can change that setting in folder options.

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys for all the tips and help. I believe this thread is old now, but I am going to update a post right now. I'm not going to mess with the original post, it's not a good idea in case others experience the same problem. But I am having a minor issue that I can't yet figure out how to fix.

I am happy with the mods I have, and the way they are setup, the only thing that I can't get my head around is why the MQ104 quest called Dragon Rising, will never begin after I give the dragonstone to Farengar. I have actually sit there and waited for an entire day (reality, not in game day) and it still NEVER occurred. I'm not sure what to do about it, that is why I am posting here again, in hopes that folks will help me with the issue.

I am sure I have a different set of mods than I had when I originally posted. Shortly, I'll update this post here, with my new set of mods that I have. I have tried disabling one mod at a time to find the culprit, but I got no where. If you can help me, I appreciate it.