Trouble with .ogg files

GowiHasti

I got .wav files for the voices for a custom NPC just as the GECK says. All the lines play perfectly. I've seen it said you can use .ogg files instead of .wav to reduce file size so I converted my .wav files to .ogg and when I play the game the text for the line appears and the NPC uses the lip files generated for him BUT no sound comes out now.

What did I do wrong and can anybody tell me how I use .ogg instead???

GowiHasti - Hello!

I don't know about the .ogg files but I do know the .wav files I've used on occasion would not play in GECK or in game.

I had to re-save them as .wav files & they then worked fine.

I used the great (& free!) program Audacity:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You can set Bit rate & file type there easily, a really good no fuss no mess program. :)

I also found that many sound files have to follow a certain structure &, in some cases, even naming format to work.

I had to follow the examples found in game to ensure some sounds played.

This was with weapon sounds & a few triggered sounds. I've no experience with dialogue.

"I've look at its properties and it doesn't tell me."

On Win7 the bitrate for audio files displays at the bottom of the folder window when selected.

Should also show up when you right click on a file & select Properties - Details, it's under the Audio heading.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

GowiHasti - Hello!

I don't know about the .ogg files but I do know the .wav files I've used on occasion would not play in GECK or in game.

I had to re-save them as .wav files & they then worked fine.

I used the great (& free!) program Audacity:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You can set Bit rate & file type there easily, a really good no fuss no mess program. :)

I also found that many sound files have to follow a certain structure &, in some cases, even naming format to work.

I had to follow the examples found in game to ensure some sounds played.

This was with weapon sounds & a few triggered sounds. I've no experience with dialogue.

"I've look at its properties and it doesn't tell me."

On Win7 the bitrate for audio files displays at the bottom of the folder window when selected.

Should also show up when you right click on a file & select Properties - Details, it's under the Audio heading.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Thank you!

Using Audacity like you suggested I was able to change the bitrate, channel, and frequency to what rickerhk said and that got it to working in-game.

Thank you both!