CTD After Clean Install

Domas

After hours of trying to update and get my old mod setup up and running, I decided give up and start over with a clean install. However, after following STEP - Skyrim Total Enhancement Project to the t* (lowercase - I will explain why), I am still crashing to desktop before the load screen even finishes.

What I have done:

-Uninstalled Skyrim and removed every mod I used to have to start with a clean directory

-Reinstalled, downloaded STEP, and reinstalled, in order, every "Core" and otherwise interesting mod TheCompiler lists, as well as follow his ini Tweaks and overall information word for word*

-Installed and ran Optimizer Textures

-Running with Windowed Mode as well as Simple Borderless Window

-Ran BOSS

-Updated my AMD Drivers to the latest 12.7 Beta for my Radeon HD 5870

-Defragged my HDD as per TheCompiler's suggestion using Smart Defrag

-Ensured I had the latest DirectX Runtime installed

-Attempt to start a new Skyrim character, only to crash before the first load scene finishes

*The only thing I did differently than what the STEP guide suggests is install almost every mod through NMM. There were a few, for instance certain mods that TheCompiler only uses certain texture files, that I installed by hand. I don't think this would be a huge issue, but regardless I would like to give any information that would help resolve these CTD issues.

My Hardware Information:

Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz

4GB (2 x 2gb) DDR3

(single) Radeon HD 5870 1GB

My BOSS Log:

BOSS Log

Copyright 2009-2012 BOSS Development Team

License: GNU General Public License v3.0

(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html)

v2.0.1 (6 April 2012)

======================================

General Messages

* Note: Latest BOSS thread: "http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1395580-relz-boss-for-skyrim/"

Summary

Your masterlist is already at the latest revision (r4867; Jul 21, 2012). No update necessary.

Recognised plugins:

Warning messages:

Unrecognised plugins:

Error messages:

Ghosted plugins:

Total number of messages:

Total number of plugins:

Plugins sorted by user rules are counted as recognised plugins.

Script Extender And Script Extender Plugins

SKSE Version: 0.1.5.9

CFM_extensions.dll

SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.dll Version: 1.13.2.0

Recognised And Re-ordered Plugins

Skyrim.esm Active

Update.esm Active

HighResTexturePack01.esp

HighResTexturePack02.esp

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Active

* Bash Tag suggestion(s):{{BASH: Delev, Relev}}

Warmer Magic Lights v2 - White - Big.esp Active

StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp Active

83Willows_101BUGS_V4_HighRes.esp Active

Ars Metallica.esp Active

ClamsDropPearls.esp Active

Crimson Tide - Blood.esp Active

dbmisc.esp Active

Lanterns Of Skyrim - Around Cities_bright.esp Active

* Note: Obsolete upgrade to new version

Lanterns Of Skyrim - Bridges x2 - OnOff_bright.esp Active

* Note: Obsolete upgrade to new version

People Have Torches.esp Active

Perfect Legionnaire 3.0.esp Active

SMDropLitTorch.esp Active

Auto Unequip Arrows.esp Active

DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp Active

* Note: Make sure you have not switched DoF off in your ini file. If you don't see any effect, open you Skyrimprefs.ini and look for 'bDoDepthOfField'. Make sure it is set to 1.

Cloaks.esp

* Bash Tag suggestion(s):{{BASH: Relev}}

* Note: Use only one cloaks*esp

Cloaks - Player Only.esp

Cloaks - No Imperial.esp Active

daedric_phelm.esp Active

SkyrimCoinReplacer.esp Active

* Bash Tag suggestion(s):{{BASH: Delev}}

NonEssentialChilds.esp Active

SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp Active

dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Reduced.esp Active

BFSEffects.esp Active

DeadlySpellImpacts.esp Active

DeadlySpellImpacts - Two Fire.esp Active

More Visible Soul Trap Effect.esp Active

Realistic crime report radius.esp Active

Slightly Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp Active

WATER.esp Active

Execution Complete

Any help would be much appreciated! I almost refuse to believe it's my PC not being able to keep up (I did install some Hi-Res Textures). It's not the greatest, already a few years old, but it used to run Skyrim flawlessly. If there's any other information needed to help solve this, please let me know!

Thank you

Side Note: What is the difference between BSA and Loose files? Per STEP Guide, I only installed the Loose Files.

EDIT: I should also note that Skyrim should be running at the latest version. Steam automatically updates my games.

Edited by Domas

When you did your fresh install of the game Domas, or should I say BEFORE you did, did you go in and manually delete the games folder and the steam folder inside C:/Progarm Files (86)/Steam/Steam Apps/Common/Skyrim? If you didn't prior to your fresh install then you may still have issues. Just asking.

*Nice set-up you have and I agree I don't think it's your PC. You have left over files on your system that didn't get deleted I believe.*

Edited by Reaper0021

When you did your fresh install of the game Domas, or should I say BEFORE you did, did you go in and manually delete the games folder and the steam folder inside C:/Progarm Files (86)/Steam/Steam Apps/Common/Skyrim? If you didn't prior to your fresh install then you may still have issues. Just asking.

*Nice set-up you have and I agree I don't think it's your PC. You have left over files on your system that didn't get deleted I believe.*

After I uninstalled the core game, I did go back and delete all the leftovers (files from mods and such that I had previously downloaded). The only thing I didn't delete was the Skyrim folder under Documents\My Games since that held save game data (I realize they will probably be corrupt, and I plan on starting fresh anyway - However I did want to try and save them). However I don't think that would cause issues; the uninstall option from Steam should remove the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files, no? Either way I re-modified them using the STEP guidelines.

I have had the uninstall from Steam leave things behind which caused me no end of troubles. Steam doesn't always get rid of all it's supposed to. Just as it always wishes to update your mods of it's own accord when such updates are not always needed. When I have to, which has been twice before, had to uninstall Skyrim to start from scratch, I have deleted folders associated with Skyrim totally and have fixed my issues in that manner.

Now, as for your saved games your trying to keep, I don't blame you there. What I try to do in such cases is: Log into game with the "Former Saved Game", save in a new spot, then load up from that newest save. Then I delete the other save from my folder. I have spent so many hours tweaking my Skyrim, figuring out which method is best/worst to maintain the game. This is just my personal experiences Domas. I hope we can get you fixed up ASAP.

I have had the uninstall from Steam leave things behind which caused me no end of troubles. Steam doesn't always get rid of all it's supposed to. Just as it always wishes to update your mods of it's own accord when such updates are not always needed. When I have to, which has been twice before, had to uninstall Skyrim to start from scratch, I have deleted folders associated with Skyrim totally and have fixed my issues in that manner.

Now, as for your saved games your trying to keep, I don't blame you there. What I try to do in such cases is: Log into game with the "Former Saved Game", save in a new spot, then load up from that newest save. Then I delete the other save from my folder. I have spent so many hours tweaking my Skyrim, figuring out which method is best/worst to maintain the game. This is just my personal experiences Domas. I hope we can get you fixed up ASAP.

Thank you for the quick replies, Reaper0021 :)

So far it's looking like I have to restart from scratch. (I just wish the physical Install CD didn't redirect you to Steam. Purposely bought a physical copy to avoid using Steam's unbearably slow DL speeds /sigh). I'll save this for a (second) last-ditch effort, though. If anyone else has any insight on how I might get this working without another reinstall, please let me know :).

I hope somebody else CAN and WILL reply Domas cause I hate to see you have to start totally from scratch. I have never used S.T.E.P. (Skyrim Total Enhancement Package I believe it's called) before, so I have no firsthand knowledge of it's usefulness or what it does. I hope somebody else can chime in and offer something up. Fast. Edited by Reaper0021

If you haven't purged everything yet, I'd like to see If i can help. I can't seem to tell from your description, but have you Tried running it without any mods?

So I ended up uninstalling/reinstalling everything again... Few Odd occurrences. First, instead of defaulting to High settings, the game defaulted me to Medium, which has never happened. I used to be able to bump it up and run it in Ultra no problem. Second thing that happened was it detected random Save files. I say random because I went through and removed every files Steam Uninstall left behind under both steamapps\common\skyrim\etc etc as well as Documents\My Games\Skyrim (where save data and ini files are generated).

On top of that, the clean install with no mods outside the official higher-res textures DLC were installed, and still I CTD at the exact same spot; during the load screen after selecting New Game. Basically I'm nearly at a loss of what to do... I've ran it both with and without the official DLC esp's active.

o_O

EDIT: So I've narrowed it down. I'm able to run Skyrim on High settings in Full-Screen mode. Windowed Mode + Simple Borderless Window crashes to desktop every time, regardless of graphics setting. However, I can no longer run in Ultra settings for whatever reason - it blacked out my screen and I received an ATI Recovery Error.

I have no issues at all playing in Full-Screen Mode. The main reason I played windowed + SBW before was because it fixed a few stability issues for me. The only qualms I have is the windows 7 "Loading Arrow" that is constantly on top of my screen. Is there any way at all to get rid of that? Windowed + SBW gets rid of it, but I obviously can't use it.

EDIT2: For anyone else wondering, you can fix the "2 Cursor Bug" by right clicking on TESV.exe>>Properties>>Compatibility>>Check 'Disable Visual Themes'.

EDIT3: After several more hours of playing around with settings and various mods (Mostly texture mods), I was finally starting my new game file with no errors... for about 20 seconds, then another CTD (At least I was in-game this time!). So I'm officially at a loss.

Running Full Screen, High Settings, etc... BOSS Log:

BOSS Log

Copyright 2009-2012 BOSS Development Team

License: GNU General Public License v3.0

(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html)

v2.0.1 (6 April 2012)

General Messages

* Note: Latest BOSS thread: "http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1395580-relz-boss-for-skyrim/"

Summary

Your masterlist is already at the latest revision (r4894; Jul 23, 2012). No update necessary.

Recognised plugins:

Warning messages:

Unrecognised plugins:

Error messages:

Ghosted plugins:

Total number of messages:

Total number of plugins:

Plugins sorted by user rules are counted as recognised plugins.

Script Extender And Script Extender Plugins

SKSE Version: 0.1.5.9

CFM_extensions.dll

SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.dll Version: 1.13.2.0

Recognised And Re-ordered Plugins

Skyrim.esm Active

Update.esm Active

HighResTexturePack01.esp

HighResTexturePack02.esp

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Active

Warmer Magic Lights v2 - White - Big.esp Active

StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp Active

83Willows_101BUGS_V4_HighRes.esp Active

Ars Metallica.esp Active

dbmisc.esp Active

People Have Torches.esp Active

SMDropLitTorch.esp Active

Auto Unequip Arrows.esp Active

Cloaks.esp

Cloaks - Player Only.esp

Cloaks - No Imperial.esp Active

daedric_phelm.esp Active

hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp Active

Masters of Death.esp Active

NonEssentialChilds.esp Active

dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Reduced.esp Active

BFSEffects.esp Active

DeadlySpellImpacts.esp Active

DeadlySpellImpacts - Two Fire.esp Active

Realistic crime report radius.esp Active

Slightly Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp Active

rcrnShaders.esp Active

* Note: Make sure you have bEnableFileSelection=1 in SkyrimPrefs.ini under [Launcher].

WATER.esp Active

Necessary Map Markers (all files included).esp Active

Crimson Tide - Blood.esp Active

Execution Complete

I mean, everything looks solid to me. I even went through and downloaded only the lower-medium res texture replacers (as opposed to the highest res I had been downloading). If it would help I will list, in order, the texture replacers I have downloaded and installed. Though, I don't see why that should cause me to CTD - if anything I should be seeing giant yellow exclamation marks and such.

:psyduck:

Edited by Domas

Hi, i have extensive experience regarding STEP.

A few suggestions.

1. If you have patch 1.6.89 for skyrim, you need to use an updated beta patch for the unofficial skyrim patch. Get the 1.05c version, which can be found here

2. Uninstall Burn Freeze Shock Effects.

3. Uninstall Deadly Spell Impacts

**When uninstalling mods, make sure all traces are removed. So do not disable them in NMM, but completely wipe/ delete all the mods files from the skyim directory.**

4. I see you are using Immersive Armors, which is not part of the STEP recommendation. While unlikely to be the cause of your CTDs, try uninstalling it anyways.

5. Make sure you update as many mods as possible. The current STEP guide is for patch 1.5 for skyrim, and as such is outdated, and so are some of the recommended mods. I new version of STEP for the latest patch is in development, but since TC is on holiday it make take some time.

6. Once all this is done, you have to start a new game. If using an older save after uninstalling these mods, you will have a lot of issues. I cannot stress this enough, disregard all saves so far. This is not a a problem that STEP creates, but how Bethesda coded the save game operation. Its impossible to clean a save game of uninstalled mods.

Here is a link to my troubleshooting blog. .

http://s1.zetaboards...?x=0#post631601

If you use any of this and have some success - or even if nothing works - please post back here what you did that worked or didn't work. That kind of information can be invaluable to other members having the same or similar problems - And to me in fixing any problems in the blog.