Copyright Issues

Shadowcran

You might want to see this (dont know how true it is)

Found it on MorrOblivion dot com

--------------------------------------------------------

Why don't quests work?

As I said above, Morroblivion is currently in beta and quests and dialogue do not work yet. As of now, you can't do much more than explore the land and cities, and kill creatures and stuff. Quests are scheduled to be added eventually somehow.

Wasn't Morroblivion shut down by Bethesda?

Morroblivion was only shut down on the official forums, and hosting of it on TES Nexus was taken down at Bethesda's request, due to some apparent licensing issues with using textures from Morrowind in Oblivion. Work on the project is still going on, however.

and that was copied from the official fan site right??

Morroblivion is an entirely seperate matter from what the original aim of the thread was. Put simply, it breaks the EULA which you agree to, and is not allowed since there are several resources used in Morrowind which Bethsoft does not outright own the rights to. Re-use of those resources in another game, even owned by the same company, is illegal. Although Morroblivion does not distribute these resources directly, it allows people to convert these resources for use in another game. This is primarily the reason why it was shut down by Bethsoft, they could not authorize such usage, and controlling those resources once converted would be nearly impossible. As is they seem to have a hard enough time controlling mods which make use of altered DLC and SI content. Continuing with this sort of idea that Morroblivion is a "good" thing will likely only result in Bethsoft adopting stricter policies on what is and is not allowed within modding. Technically, even distributing retextures of Oblivion meshes for use in Oblivion is an illegal act. The biggest problem is that when it was brought up, the reason why Morroblivion wasn't allowed was not complete enough to satisfy people, and the actions of moderators to cease any and all discussions on the matter only ended up creating more confusion. Although it was later explained completely, the damage was already done. The fact that such a project has to continue behind the scenes in a "shush shush" manner should only tell you that it probably isn't legal, and will likely be shut down again later. Things like this never remain a secret, and once you have others using it, Bethsoft will probably be forced to take action.

ummm. Is anyone else aware that there's someone uploading the DLC mods onto Nexus for downloading?

Seems they're blocked by the author for now...but geez...do I report this?

Haha,yes I saw this too earlier.Let him/her dig their own grave. :biggrin:

Sorry for taking so long to respond...I sleep in the day..and no, I'm not a goth or a vampire.

For the last 4 posts and their authors..thanks.

Giskadurk, there's really a group that do that? Geez. Doesn't surprise me at all. There's a lot of people that would love to make ALL video games out as THE BAD GUY. These liberals do this from time to time. They don't want to admit there's something wrong with parents, schools, their own liberal laws etc. so they make an entertainment as the culprit. Comic books in the 50's(this is when the Comics Code Authority was created due to the book "Seduction of the Innocent) were the culprit then. Television was blamed in the 60's and 70's along with tobacco, candy or whatever else they could think of.

Yup they do it to me every time i make a release and have been doing it since march 2008.

And they are oblivion players btw.

Beth are friendly cooperative, explain things, help out and are generally good people. When they act they act because the law demands they protect their own copyright or the law will remove it. Hense the morrowiblivion mod. That was a no brainer legal issue right from the start.

Those that wish it where not so should support open source games more, that stuff if legal for open source (and there are some good free software for making games from scratch out there being used today be millions of mod makers).

Btw theres a dwemer tile set im looking at that uses the orrery esp from beth or rather the textures in it to be exact. Want to know why I may not add it to the resource pack so everybody can use it ? Because if i link to the original mod and it says the downloader needs the orrery and mine does not, even if i retexture it my self to remove the dependance on that downloadable content. Forum users will twist that fact, get my threads locked and my downloads removed because nobody will check their facts before acting.

Ask Jannix if im right or of im right.

So there is a price to pay for those false reports and your paying it right now.

Giskard

I don't understand the fuss over Morroblivion, really. Even if it WAS completely allowed - Morrowind was made to a different graphics standard than Oblivion. Its lowres meshes and textures will undoubtedly look crappy in the Oblivion engine, especially without normal maps. Why does anyone want that?

Sorry for taking so long to respond...I sleep in the day..and no, I'm not a goth or a vampire.

For the last 4 posts and their authors..thanks.

Giskadurk, there's really a group that do that? Geez. Doesn't surprise me at all. There's a lot of people that would love to make ALL video games out as THE BAD GUY. These liberals do this from time to time. They don't want to admit there's something wrong with parents, schools, their own liberal laws etc. so they make an entertainment as the culprit. Comic books in the 50's(this is when the Comics Code Authority was created due to the book "Seduction of the Innocent) were the culprit then. Television was blamed in the 60's and 70's along with tobacco, candy or whatever else they could think of.

Yup they do it to me every time i make a release and have been doing it since march 2008.

And they are oblivion players btw.

Beth are friendly cooperative, explain things, help out and are generally good people. When they act they act because the law demands they protect their own copyright or the law will remove it. Hense the morrowiblivion mod. That was a no brainer legal issue right from the start.

Those that wish it where not so should support open source games more, that stuff if legal for open source (and there are some good free software for making games from scratch out there being used today be millions of mod makers).

Btw theres a dwemer tile set im looking at that uses the orrery esp from beth or rather the textures in it to be exact. Want to know why I may not add it to the resource pack so everybody can use it ? Because if i link to the original mod and it says the downloader needs the orrery and mine does not, even if i retexture it my self to remove the dependance on that downloadable content. Forum users will twist that fact, get my threads locked and my downloads removed because nobody will check their facts before acting.

Ask Jannix if im right or of im right.

So there is a price to pay for those false reports and your paying it right now.

Giskard

Yes,it's true,i've seen topics get deleted and such,morroblivion was a copyright issue from the start,and besides,you won't want outdated 2000 style graphics running on oblivion, btw liberals?Fanboys like to do things to anger people,but liberals do it too?dang,keeping on topic i believe if you really want morrowind on oblivion,just build it from scratch with oblivion meshes and texture as well as resources if you want,NOT from the morrowind game,i think it is ok,if you really want though.It's also okay to ask i'm sure or pm the guyes if it's ok,thats what i do to ask,customer support,hey their there to answer questions ;) ,Mostly just ask customer support and they'll most likely fix your problems

Bethesda does not create all of its meshes and textures itself. It often outsources to other studios in order to make deadlines.

These meshes and textures are copywrited by the other studios and sold to Bethesda with the understanding, and writing in the contact at time of puchase, that they will only be used in that 1 game. The contact is written in a way that prevents the other studios as well from reselling those meshes and textures to anyone else.

Morroblivion imports those meshes and textures into Oblivion, thus if Bethesda did not include that part in the EULA and allowed Morroblivion, they could be sued from the other studios who made those textures for putting in another game without permission or paying them for it, or even worse, would allow the studios that created them to resell under breach of contract to another company who chould theoreticly redo Morrowind or make thier own sequil and call it something else.

That is what is wrong with Morroblivion.

Why is it still up? It's based out of France who has SIMILAR, BUT DIFFERENT copywrite laws. There it is Illegal to pirate, but once purched legally they don't give a poop what you do with it. So a french man who sells pirated games can be sued, arested, so forth so forth, but if Purchases legally Morrowind and Oblivion can do what ever the hell they want.

More than likely, No one here lives in france so that means NO Morroblivion for you, at least not on this site. And more than likely it means YES US LAWS, EULA, and Copyrights pertain to YOU.

I think the problem is that a lot of these out to protect copyright laws are at a loss on how to protect ALL video games, especially with the internet and availability of pirate sites and the like.

They don't seem to be really going after those who maliciously steal content, just those that do so for a noble purpose or benevelont motive. Why? they're easier to find. I'm sorry that happens to you Giskadurk, it must be a speed bump in the intellectual process to have to have that in the back of your mind.

Lucky, I'm an idea man. I don't possess the eyesight for modding...believe me I've tried. If I had kept on, I'd end up not being able to even type this or play Oblivion at all. Being stuck at home with disabilities, if that happened, you might as well chuck dirt on me(just an expression, I prefer cremation than ruining a perfectly good spot of earth)

But I've always been able to take an existing idea or make one up and make it better and better. I've been an integral figure in a lot of past game developments. However, on Oblivion, I feel my talents aren't really needed in teh mod ideas. Most good ones have been done already. The problem here is deciding which ones to put in your load list and which ones to take out once you reach that 255 limit.

I do have ideas however. I've a silly suggestions thread and I do silly suggestions in 5 at a time, with one being a real idea that's not so silly.

Lists of monsters/creatures that should/could possibly be great in Oblivion

Lists of vegetables/fruits not in oblivion

Gothic horror Quest/London addon -mod based on Gothic London during the Victorian era. Jack the Ripper, Mr Hyde, thieves, cutthroats, bandits...vampires. Tower of London infested with undead etc.(for some odd reason and with no background to support it..I think the German modders would do this one better....I like Castle Ravenpride and WarCry)

Peasants to add to daily life/ general laborers. I guess an expansion on Life Translated

and more.

But usually when I think of an idea for Oblivion I find it's been done or in the process.

Archived