Expanding Vanilla Armors

Guest deleted2588518

Guest deleted2588518

I wasn't sure if there was already a mod in progress or already created that covered this sort of idea. I did use the forum search but came up with nothing.

I really like the style of the Banded Iron Armor for Skyrim. I think it looks very Nordish. I have a lot of fond memories of Daggerfall and wondered why they abandoned the idea that you could have two or three different armor styles that covered the range of minerals. Iron, Steel, Silver, Elven, Dwarven, Mithril. Adamantium, Ebony, Orcish, Deadric.

So Basically, I'm considering adding a re-texture and recipe mod that will provide a wider variety of vanilla style armors using the different materials that can be acquired via mining. I was thinking along the lines of Weapons of the Third Era only for the vanilla armors.

Iron/Banded Iron Model

-Iron (Obviously unmodified)

-Steel variant

-Silver variant

-Moonstone variant

-Dwarven Metal variant

-Mithril (silver and steel together?)

-Adamantium (unsure about composition of metals)

-Ebony variant

-Orcish variant

-Daedric variant

Obviously I would also create variants for armor models like Steel Plate Armor. I'm unsure about using the Ebony Plate model because the style is very animeish and my personal opinion is that it clashes with the Skyrim theme. It just feels completely out of place like the Glass Armor style. In Morrowind the glass style fits because of the whole volcanic theme. The style is a bit odd for armor and seems like it would be more a burden to the wearer than anything else. But stylistically its fun and does add flavor. I don't get that feeling from the Ebony style in Skyrim. Its just completely out of place. But if enough people request its style in lower materials I'll consider adding it. Also, If I could find a nice model for chainmaille I could add in the different levels for that as well... Expand the armor selection beyond a single armor style for each material type.

If people are interested, and I find the motivation to complete this mod, (provided it isn't already made, I never found anything like it on the nexus) I will definitely share with the nexus community.

Guest deleted2588518

Alright. After some basic tutorials on how to use the CK correctly, I've gotten some of the items created. Next step is getting the weights, value, etc close to the correct amount for each type. So far I've made the variants for the Iron/Banded Iron armors in Steel, Silver, Moonstone, Dwarven Metal, Orcish and Ebony. Those are the easiest to create recipes for at the moment without having to create custom materials like Mithril or Adamantium. I may leave Daedric out of the process due to the Daedric armor in game being more unique.

Next step is to create the actual recipes. Which doesn't look overly complicated.

So here is a list of what I will be producing via the CK.

Iron/Banded Iron Set

-Steel

-Silver

-Moonstone

-Orcish

-Ebony

Steel Set

-Iron

-Silver

-Moonstone

-Dwarven

-Orcish

-Ebony

Steel Plate Armor Set

-Iron

-Silver

-Moonstone

-Dwarven

-Orcish

-Ebony

Shield Models

(Iron, Iron, Steel)

Iron, Steel, Silver, Moonstone, Dwarven, Orcish, Ebony

That shouldn't take too much time. Maybe a few hours at most. The complicated and time consuming part will be the individual textures. Something that may prove beyond my ability to produce. I doubt very seriously that I could produce textures for these with any real quality. So if there is someone who is good at texture work and know how to do this relatively easily.. Please feel free to contact me. In the meantime, I'll see what I can produce myself and see how they turn out. This will be my first 'official' mod for skyrim. Starting small. ;)

Edited by TotalMeltdown

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deleted2588518

Alright, So I've made a few test pieces. Used gimp to get the color as close as my eyes will allow... Got the items themselves made in the CK along with the recipes to create them made. Problem is... I'm trying to link the created items in the CK to their respective modified .nif counterparts. I decided to make a .bsa archive so that lose files aren't an issue. I guess this is where I'm getting stuck because I don't see the files in the directories using the CK inside the .bsa file.

Do I have to work with lose files in the data folder and then pack them into a bsa? I've read the tutorials on how to do all this with the CK but never did find where someone was using files inside an already packed .bsa file...

Going to test some stuff in game. I'll drop some pics when I get done.

Guest deleted2588518

Silver Banded Armor next to its Iron counterpart and a Vanilla Silver Greatsword. Figured the best thing to do was make it look as 'vanilla' as possible.

• 1 year later...

I think it's a good idea but new armors should look more unique.

For example Iron Plate Armor should look cruder. You could remove the fancy pauldrons or replace them with something else.

Hello guys. Im a 3D-Artist and created a couple custom versions of existing armors. So if the author is interested in this models he can contact me via pm and i will show and share what ive done so far.