Upgrading my computer

So, for reference, this is my computer here.

I want to upgrade it finally, after some 5-6 years, but I don't want to buy an entirely new computer. What graphics card would you guys recommend? Also, in one of the reviews I read that they installed a smaller but more powerful power supply, so I'm wondering if someone could tell me how to do that as well :P

Thanks.

EDIT: Probably going to end up building my own computer now, instead of upgrading it.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, saw you talking about your PC the other day in the chat. Unfortunately, it looks like you might need a new computer. There's just no space for upgrades; the PSU in there is cramped as is, and there's almost no space for a graphics card. Its a really limited environment to work in.

If have to upgrade, you're going to need a low-profile graphics card(Budget?) for sure; it looks like very few cards are going to fit in cramped PCI-E x16 slot.

The PSU is only 200W and its already jammed in with no margin for space(from the pictures I saw), and even if you fit one in, everything is probably going to burn up from bad ventilation.

I'd really advise you to get a new computer.

Edited by Lutine

Not much, you'd still need fans to get the air moving. :P

The GPU would fit right on top, directly underneath the plastic/metal paneling. It's a very stupid design, and as one reviewer said, ""Heat rises" is the very first fact of basic physics that every kid learns in elementary school..."

If the motherboard you have is ATX, you could move everything to a cheap case. If it's the more proprietary BTX, which it likely is(Gateway), you can scout out an ATX motherboard compatible with your CPU and then get a case... But you might as well be buying a new computer.

I had another look at the pictures. It's definitely BTX.

Anyway, if you did get holes drilled in, getting a proper airflow --Not just any airflow-- is vital. It looks nearly impossible there. :confused:

Any particular reason why you're so against buying/building a new PC?

It'd be more effort to upgrade the one you have now (if it were even possible) than to buy a new one. (Budget?) Since what you have it's not a gaming PC (I assume this what you're aiming for), I'd buy a mid tower, with a proper PSU (600w or more), any recent GPU (Nvidia 560 or better), at least a quad core, (I5s and I7 are very good)-with proper motherboard-, and 8gbs RAM or more. Anything less and you're gonna have problems when running most games.

What's your budget? Do you have a certain game in mind?

the effort isnt all that much. its not hard to build a PC and really only takes a couple of hours (depending no your skill and experience)

its the money that stops most people. you can build a cheap PC or an expensive one, but either way its gunna be at least a few hundred dollars for the cheapest PC and even that can be a hit to people's wallets.

I definitely won't be doing it right away, but I want to look into it. I'm willing to spend $400-500 at minimum I suppose for a decent one, at most around $1000.

I looked at this case and also this one. Then this is the graphics card, the motherboard, the sound card, and then the RAM. This is the core I looked at, the media reader, and then the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

I have no clue if they'd even all work together, but those are the things I looked at because I thought I'd need them (if I build a new computer).