Crashes right from the start

AbdusSalaam1

Dear community,

recently i've bought the Oblivion Game of the year edition in steam, installed it and wanted to play.

I haven't come far. In the beginning, in the caverns of the prison the game crashes in a room with stone pillars when i fight a rat or when i try to open a chest. After a while i tried again, but sice this time the game also crashed when i attempt to load my latest savegame, another savegame works.

My PC has following inside:

• Intel i5-4570 3.20 GHz
  • 8 GB RAM GDDR5
  • Windows 10 64 bits
  • AMG Radeon R9 200

I've already tried some things to fix the problem:

• installed the Unofficial Oblivion Patch with wryebash
  • installed the unofficial oblivion DLC Patch(with this Patch the
  • game haven't started so i deactivated it)
  • restored the default graphic settings(but kept the 1920x1080 Solution)
  • reinstalled the game
  • replaced the Oblivion_default.ini with the following ini-file(for removing the ram cap): https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/47825

in the written order.

The game still crashes at the same points.

Can someone of you help me with this problem?

NEVER (as in never ever) touch Oblivion_Default.ini ... that is the file the game needs and uses to set up Oblivion.ini (which will be located in My Documents\My Games\Oblivion). Using an Oblivion.ini that was created on a different machine with hardware that isn't the same as yours is a recipe for disaster.

Start with a fresh install of the game and confirm that it is working. Add one single mod to that now confirmed working game and test to see if it is still working. When you add a single mod to a working game and then it breaks it's a pretty trivial thing to figure out where to start troubleshooting.

The reason the game wouldn't start after you added the Unofficial DLC patch is you probably added patches for DLC you don't have installed, so you got a missing master crash. Not all GotY editions have all of the DLCs.

Not a Steam guy myself, so I'm not certain of the ins and outs of what goes on with a reinstall using Steam.

I'd suggest uninstalling the mods before you try a reinstall via Steam. If you used a mod manager to install the mods then it should give you a way to uninstall. If you manually installed it's just a matter of deactivating any ESPs and then removing all of the files that each added (I'm a manual install dinosaur myself ... I refer to the folder contents that I downloaded and extracted to when looking for what should be uninstalled).

Okay, thank you.

I've deactivated all Mods in the Modmanager WryeBash and deleted the esp-files of the mods in my Data-Folder of the game.

I've started the game, started a new game because when i wanted to run my old savegames there stood that they are dependant on files that are not longer there or something like that. The game crashed at the same point as before. It crashed when i attempted to open the chest in the hall with the stone pillars in the prison caverns, afterwards i tried just to run through this hall but it crashed again in the hallway after the hall with the stone pillars.

So the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP) and the Unofficial DLC patches (UOMP) were the only mods that you had to uninstall?

Remember that mods can add more than just the ESP files, so to completely uninstall them you need to remove more than just the ESP in those cases.

By the time you make to that chest (if it's the one I'm thinking of) you've already made it past the rats and no enemies will be bothering you until you finish in that area and move on.

Not sure what else to suggest if it was just the UOP and UOMP that were installed beforehand.

Looking at your first post again ... was your first problem with no mods at all?

Hello again,

the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP) and the Unofficial DLC Patches (UOMP) were the only mods i've downloaded, anyway there were some other mods on the mod list of wryebash but i can't tell you if they belong to one of the before mentioned patches.

I've to tell you that i've also changed the ini file in the Data folder of the game to the default ini-filein my last try

Today i've tried to unzip the UOP to a seperate folder and compare it with the files in my Data-folder in the Oblivion-folder to delete all the files of the patch but i think i've accidentially deleted more than just the mod files so i deinstalled the game via steam and removed all remaining game files manually. Afterwards i've installed the game via steam again and tried it without any mods again with the same crash problem.

My problems appeared in the first place when i've started the game the first time without any mods. I've installed the mods after some tries with crashes because i've written in posts in other forums with Oblivion crash issues that the unofficial patches could possibly remove the crash problems. I've just installed the WryeBash-Mod-Manager afterwards and then the UOP and the UOMP, it hasn't removed the crash-problem. Hence i've written that removing the RAM-cap of the game could also maybe fix crash problems i've downloaded this ini-file i've mentioned in the first post and then i've written this post in this forum. That's my story :wink:.

OK ... the only step I don't agree with is the part about using somebody else's Oblivion.ini for your own game. You could edit your own Oblivion.ini with the settings you see in certain sections of Oblivion.ini from somebody else's Oblivion.ini (which is an option that the person who posted that Oblivion.ini "mod" mentions).

Oblivion_Default.ini should be located in the game's Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder, not in Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data folder. As I said, Oblivion_Default.ini is the file that the game uses to create your own Oblivion.ini in the My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder when you first start the game from a fresh install or anytime I can't find Oblivion.ini in your My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder.

Which leads me to my next question ... before you installed the game from Steam this latest time did you delete Oblivion.ini in your My Documents\My Games\Oblivion folder? If you didn't the game won't create a new Oblivion.ini and so each time you try fixing the game by reinstalling you keep the one thing that may be the source of your trouble.

The specs for your computer tell me you can run this game without problems ... we just need to find that one little stumbling block.

Delete the My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini file and then start the game. It will detect your hardware and create a brand new Oblivion.ini starting from the stub (which is Obivion_Default.ini). Don't change or add anything else and see if you an make it through the tutorial dungeon (the UOP and UOMP don't fix much through that area anyway, so you won't be missing out on anything).

Yes, that is normal. The game was released a long time ago, so it can't be expected to recognise modern (or more modern than 2006) hardware. I get the same message myself when I've needed to reinstall the game.

Just open the video options and set things to what you think your machine should be able to handle (and from your machine specs I'd say set resolution to match your screen resolution and pretty well max everything else).