Starting Settlement Resources?

Haravikk

So I'm having a go at a Minutemen/settlement building focused playthrough, and probably the biggest annoyance is the lack of building materials available when a settlement first joins; it can take a long time to establish a trade route, and really I'd like to spend a few days preparing each settlement then move on, as I'm playing Survival (I re-enabled a few things, but I like to keep no fast travelling).

Anyway, what I've been doing for each new settlement is opening up the console and giving myself a bunch of resource shipments. To make this easier I found All Shipments Batch File "mod", which I've tweaked to focus on adding a set of basic settlement resources with a single command.

However, what I'd really like is for these resources to simply be in each settlement's workshop automatically once it becomes available, so that I've got a better starting point for building walls/fences and a few other basics.

What I'm wondering is:

• Does such a mod exist? I've tried searching but there are a lot of settlement mods and words like resources, shipments etc. are far too generic so I could be missing the one I want as I try to skim through. If such a mod exists I'd appreciate a link!
  • If such a mod doesn't exist, can anyone lend some advice about what I'd need to do to make it? I've tweaked stuff in creation kit before, and know scripting, but I'm not at all familiar with how settlement stuff works. All I should need is a way to detect when a new settlement becomes available, grab a reference to its workshop and then I can just dump resources into it, but I'd appreciate any help on where the best place to do this would be, for example I assume that editing any basic workshop script would be a bad idea, as other mods may do the same so any ideas for an alternative would be a huge help.

For a start game enabled quest script you will probably want to play with;

WorkshopParentScript Property pWorkshopParentScript Auto Const Mandatory
MiscObject           Property pMiscItemToAdda       Auto Const Mandatory
MiscObject           Property pMiscItemToAddb       Auto Const Mandatory

Event OnQuestInit()
 RegisterForCustomEvent(pWorkshopParentScript, "WorkshopPlayerOwnershipChanged")
EndEvent

Event WorkshopParentScript.WorkshopPlayerOwnershipChanged(WorkshopParentScript akSender, Var[] akArgs)
 If (akArgs.Length > 0)
  bool bPlayerOwned = akArgs[0] as Bool
  WorkshopScript WorkshopREF = akArgs[1] as WorkshopScript

If (bPlayerOwned == TRUE) || (WorkshopREF.OwnedByPlayer == TRUE)
   WorkshopREF.Additem(pMiscItemToAdda, aiCount = 9999, abSilent = TRUE)
   WorkshopREF.Additem(pMiscItemToAddb, aiCount = 9999, abSilent = TRUE)
  EndIf
 EndIf
EndEvent

This is similar to what you looked at, but gives better numbers. It's, Materials Batch File, by Meyer217,

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6880 , Materials for settlements. 10,000 of each material needed, now including crops. A caution, this puts the material in the players junk inventory, not directly into the workbench. Stand next to your workbench, hit the tild key, then type, " bat materials " without quote marks and hit enter. You shold also use Faster Workshop by reg 2k. This eliminates the slow workshop load time. One last thing, something to expand or eliminate the settlement build budget. Lore friendly, no, but it does what you want in less than a minute.

Thanks for the recommendation instyne49, but I've actually already modified the batch file to get the amounts and types I wanted, but my aim really is to eliminate it altogether.

For a start game enabled quest script you will probably want to play with;

WorkshopParentScript Property pWorkshopParentScript Auto Const Mandatory
MiscObject           Property pMiscItemToAdda       Auto Const Mandatory
MiscObject           Property pMiscItemToAddb       Auto Const Mandatory

Event OnQuestInit()
 RegisterForCustomEvent(pWorkshopParentScript, "WorkshopPlayerOwnershipChanged")
EndEvent

Event WorkshopParentScript.WorkshopPlayerOwnershipChanged(WorkshopParentScript akSender, Var[] akArgs)
 If (akArgs.Length > 0)
  bool bPlayerOwned = akArgs[0] as Bool
  WorkshopScript WorkshopREF = akArgs[1] as WorkshopScript

If (bPlayerOwned == TRUE) || (WorkshopREF.OwnedByPlayer == TRUE)
   WorkshopREF.Additem(pMiscItemToAdda, aiCount = 9999, abSilent = TRUE)
   WorkshopREF.Additem(pMiscItemToAddb, aiCount = 9999, abSilent = TRUE)
  EndIf
 EndIf
EndEvent

Woah, thanks so much! You've basically written the entire script for me, heh :D

I'm going to experiment with it today, I'm thinking I might try to link up a hidden container to hold the starting resources and then "copy" them (go through the list adding the same item in the same quantity to the workbench), this way I shouldn't have to add every resource type I want to the script, and could even change the starting resource types and quantities dynamically (e.g- with an MCM menu, as I should probably learn how to make one of those in Fallout 4 at some point). Looks like I'll need to require F4SE to do it this way (there's really no function to get all inventory items in the base game?), but then I think F4SE is basically mandatory anyway (or should be).

I'll post an update once I've made some progress to get some early feedback, then package it as a mod when I'm happy with it. Thanks for the help!

Rather than mess abut with physical containers, better to use a form list and drag in the 30 c_*_scrap components.

Iterate through that adding them, like this;

Int iIndex =0
While iIndex < pMISCItemFormList.GetSize() 
 MiscObject ItemToAdd = pMISCItemFormList.GetAt(iIndex) as MiscObject 
 WorkshopREF.Additem(ItemToAdd, aiCount = 9999, abSilent = TRUE)
 iIndex +=1
EndWhile

edit: spelling

Edited by SKK50

I'm really not understanding whats so hard about just typing in bat <whatever> while standing in front of the WS, and then just dumping everything in there. Seems like a lot less hassle to me than trying to mod the game.

In my case, I only do this until I start to get all my settlements connected through provisioners, and then after that, I don't need to run the bat files anymore. Since I don't always grab all the settlements in the same order, or set them up the same way (or even have the same settlements, since i use a lot of mods that give me extra), I have no way of knowing ahead of time which settlements I would want pre-stocked. Thus, I just run the bat file until i'm built-up enough not to need it.

But, everyone plays differently, so good luck.

why not using a simple bat file?

player.additem 001BF72D 1000; Acid
player.additem 001BF72E 1000; Adhesive
player.additem 0006907A 1000; Aluminum
player.additem 001BF72F 1000; Antiseptic
player.additem 000AEC5C 1000; Asbestos
player.additem 000AEC5B 1000; Ballistic Fiber
player.additem 000AEC5D 1000; Bone
player.additem 000AEC5E 1000; Ceramic
player.additem 0006907B 1000; Circuitry
player.additem 000AEC5F 1000; Cloth
player.additem 00106D99 1000; Concrete
player.additem 0006907C 1000; Copper
player.additem 000AEC60 1000; Cork
player.additem 0006907D 1000; Crystal
player.additem 001BF730 1000; Fertilizer
player.additem 00069087 1000; Fiber Optics
player.additem 000AEC61 1000; Fiberglass
player.additem 0006907E 1000; Gears
player.additem 00069085 1000; Glass
player.additem 000AEC62 1000; Gold
player.additem 000AEC63 1000; Lead
player.additem 000AEC64 1000; Leather
player.additem 00069086 1000; Nuclear Material
player.additem 001BF732 1000; Oil
player.additem 0006907F 1000; Plastic
player.additem 00106D98 1000; Rubber
player.additem 00069081 1000; Screw
player.additem 000AEC66 1000; Silver
player.additem 00069082 1000; Spring
player.additem 000731A4 1000; Steel
player.additem 000731A3 1000; Wood

run it on every wb and you never run out of stuf

I'm really not understanding whats so hard about just typing in bat <whatever> while standing in front of the WS, and then just dumping everything in there. Seems like a lot less hassle to me than trying to mod the game.

Really it's about immersion; I just don't like having to open the console to add items, with individual commands or a bat file doesn't really matter, I just want there to be more starting resources for settlements without having to do anything.

Of course I realise the irony of that if I'm making a mod in order to not have to do anything in future, but there are a few other things I'd like to do as mods at some point as well so it seems a reasonable place to start with something relatively simple. I've done some minor modding in Skyrim in the past but am totally unfamiliar with the things that are different in Fallout 4, already there are some difference in scripting.

Unfortunately so far my script didn't work and I saved at the wrong point to debug it; I've added a heap of debug messages for the next settlement I unlock so hopefully I can figure out what went wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

While i use the 'Achievement' mod which enables achievements even if one had the console open or is using mods (heck i'm only using visual/building) mods, I dont mind opening a console (for which I only require to Restart the game to get rid of that, so it's just a hazzle saver).

This said, I created a script collection for Fo4 based on the wiki console command list (just like all the others, i'm just linking the source).

This said, you could call either:

bat s_newbase
bat s_newbase_lore
bat s_newbase_vault

Each giving different amount ranges of materials.

The "lore" one (in mind/Theory) would send settlers to run around outside of the Settlement and search for scrap, and bring back these mats, thus the numbers are the lowest of those scripts available.

Lots of other scripts there too.

But, you dont like open console.

How About opening the pipboy?

* Advanced Follower Tweaks, while doing what it sais, it does a lot more too, you can select to 'scrap all' of a Settlement. (NOT sure if it is saver than the console 'scrapall' command!)

* Sim Settlements (3 in 1), can tear down an exisiting Settlement for it's materials, and then rebuild according to a City plan (desk) or Manual (regular Workshop mode, using plots)

Personal experience, if you have enough People in your existing Settlements, I first assign one of those to establish a trade route to the new settlement to be protected.

Exception example would be Oberland, for which I sent a settler from Starlight to Graygarden (robots), from which the settler will start the route to Oberland.

Other than that, scrapping a new Settlement completely, gives more than enough resources to build a good start.

Despite the beacon and probably depending on your loot on how many Generators you'll be able to build, but if you carry some weapons with you, at least a small Generator should never be an issue.

my 2 Cents, hth

Edited by Sephrajin