Skyrim has just suddenly had a huge FPS drop?

Sky999

I am dealing with a similar issue now, except somewhat reversed. Yesterday morning the game was running just fine. I shut down my computer when I finally went to bed, and now my fps is peaking at 4. This is both with and without GameBooster. Edited by GrimKreeper

Go to your Windows advanced power settings and make sure the default max CPU usage is set to 100%, otherwise Windows may throttle your CPU.

Also, disable your virus scanner while playing Skyrim.

Also, disable any programs that might do automatic downloads or updates in the background while you are playing.

• 1 year later...

Whenever I try to load a save it starts fine but then after a little bit of time the frame rate lowers to about 2 or 3, i tried rebooting the PC, it works fine without mods but when i use them then it happens, my RAM usage has been weirdly high lately, could that have anything to do with it, i tried Razer Game booster, it did nothing, if i have the mods on then run a different game it still has the same effect, does anybody have ANY idea what is happening, its not a virus, i ran every scan there is. P.S. Can Avast be causing this if it is running in background

• 6 months later...

I'm having a similar issue on my widows 8. my problems started after moving my machine from one room to another then downloading a new enb, uninstalling an old one, installing the new one and starting up skyrim. switching to the old one doesn't work either and TES5Edit doesn't detect any problems

• 7 months later...

I have this same issue with Fallout 4 btw.

It happens after I do a quickload sometimes.

It's a GPU related issue (mine is a GTX 780), as during the low fps problem, GPU utilization jumps to ~99%

CPU utilization increases somewhat as well, but not as drastically.

Low FPS problem carries over to other games and benchmarks after it starts in Fallout 4.

Problems disappears once computer is restarted, may reappear with quickload.