Rainfall inside settlement buildings

mayoculpa

In any "outdoor" environment (ie you don't enter through a load screen), rain falls indoors, regardless of what kind of roof is above you. You can be standing on the bottom floor of a ten-story concrete building, but you still get rained on just as much as if you were outside. The floor, the characters, your placed objects all still get wet. This has kinda bugged me for years.

It would be extremely cool if there were a mod that kept the interior of buildings dry when it rains. Or even had varying levels of rain protection based on roof type. A lot of the shack roofs and pre-existing buildings are kind of janky and full of holes, so it would make sense for those to be less effective. If your standard "shack roof" were a bit leaky but a concrete roof kept you perfectly dry, that would be even more cool.

Not sure if a mod for this already exists, but if so I haven't been able to find it.

Personally I made my own mod that removes all weather -- except for very brief showers and such, so there's SOME minimal claim to realism -- just because that bugged me so much. Seeing soaked settlers sleeping on soaked beds, that was just driving me crazy. Especially when also seeing several settlers -- and a brahmin when Carla or other traders were in town -- were chilling out on the roof all day anyway. Well, someone throw them some tar and have them fix the roof, for crying out loud.

Granted, it IS a bit the same kind of solution as decapitation solves a headache, but it's done wonders to keep me from getting an ulcer. Plus, it explains why everything is brown. So, if anyone is interested: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6339

Thank you AuroraMoon! That is exactly what I was looking for and I will install it as soon as I'm back at home and on my PC! :D

That makes sense Moraelin. Personally I like having the weather, and have been eyeing several of the mods that actually make it more extreme (seasons? rad storms that have a chance to randomly spawn feral ghouls? HMMM). But I imagine there are plenty of folks who may be interested in a mod to cut weather entirely so as to just focus on the rest of gameplay.

Edit: Also I love the mental image of brahmin patching a roof. "Get a moooove on with the tar brush there, Bessie!"

Edited by mayoculpa

• 2 years later...

In any "outdoor" environment (ie you don't enter through a load screen), rain falls indoors, regardless of what kind of roof is above you. You can be standing on the bottom floor of a ten-story concrete building, but you still get rained on just as much as if you were outside. The floor, the characters, your placed objects all still get wet. This has kinda bugged me for years.

It would be extremely cool if there were a mod that kept the interior of buildings dry when it rains. Or even had varying levels of rain protection based on roof type. A lot of the shack roofs and pre-existing buildings are kind of janky and full of holes, so it would make sense for those to be less effective. If your standard "shack roof" were a bit leaky but a concrete roof kept you perfectly dry, that would be even more cool.

Not sure if a mod for this already exists, but if so I haven't been able to find it.

As far as I know you can stop the rain from entering but you can't stop the wet shader from being applied everywhere.(issue with the engine)

I already asked for another part to make settlement buildings more comfy. And that is an item that changes the ambient sound to a interior one(like prebuilt structures, Sanctuary Hills, Sunshine Tidings,...).

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/9937153-acoustic-space-item-for-the-workshop/

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/167207-acoustic-space-item-for-the-workshop/

Right now I am watching various videos about the creation kit.

The idea atm is to create a invisible box with no collisions that has an interior acoustic space in it and is a workshop item.

Not sure if this is possible.

And I have never even created a mod.

Edited by ZI0MATRIX

Doesn't Ambient Occlusion turn off rain in 'covered' areas???

Only if the "cover" is considered as a cover by the engine.

Many glass roofs type elements are not considered as cover, or at least raindrops are bugging through the glass frequently.

If I got something wrong please correct me.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/36127

Most of the stuff I use for construction is added by mods in any event..... I don't recall if rain comes thru my greenhouses or not. :) But then, I have "always clear weather" installed as well.

Doesn't Ambient Occlusion turn off rain in 'covered' areas???

Only if the "cover" is considered as a cover by the engine.

Many glass roofs type elements are not considered as cover, or at least raindrops are bugging through the glass frequently.

If I got something wrong please correct me.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/36127

Most of the stuff I use for construction is added by mods in any event..... I don't recall if rain comes thru my greenhouses or not. :smile: But then, I have "always clear weather" installed as well.

I like the rain. Use it for sleeping. THe only thing that bugs me is that no one has made an Acoustic Space item for the workshop. When it rains the sound inside your settlement structure is like you are some hobo on an open field. But when you are inside the premade sacturary buildings, suddenly the sound gets transformed like you have a roof over your head.