Skyrim isn't detecting my save files.

twitchy724

Steam cloud saves cause a lot of problems with Skyrim disable it on the desktop and the problem should disappear; If your saves are still missing copy the ones on the laptop and move them in Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves and leave steam cloud disabled

Thanks for the suggestion, may try it.

That said, the saves made from my laptop while away already appear in the save folder on the desktop - I guess loaded from the cloud when first firing up the desktop. They do not appear on the load screen either. I'll also fire up the laptop later too (got some RL stuff to do) and see if the new PC I created last night appears on the load.

Sometimes Skyrim loads the save from the cloud and sometimes from the documents that is what causes the problem.

Would that show in the ini file save location path? (I cannot look on desktop until later tonight). Just trying to form a game plan for when I get in front of it.

Hope I can solve this as had no issues before with saves.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I'm not sure on how exactly the steam cloud makes the game see the saves on the cloud. The normal Skyrim saves are located where the .ini files are, inside a folder called "Saves".

Sometimes Skyrim loads the save from the cloud and sometimes from the documents that is what causes the problem.

Tried disabling the Steam Cloud - had no effect! Though the new PC I created on the desktop has not syncd to the laptop??

The plot thickens. It isn't the end of the world per se, but I would like to be able to play my saved games lol!

Anyone have any ideas? There are several in this thread with the same issue, which means it is unlikely a mod order type problem.

I use MO and have a fairly heavy modded Skyrim (around 200). It runs very stable on both Desktop and laptop (although the differing profiles on each MO mean I cannot play desktop saves on laptop and vice versa) - the laptop runs a lesser experience due to being nearly 5 years old and much lower spec.

Thanks all.

So you have Mod Organizer on both PCs but where are your saves: inside the Mod Organizer profile or in documents?

Edited by Project579

So you have Mod Organizer on both PCs but where are your saves: inside the Mod Organizer profile or in documents?

Hi, thanks for the assist.

On Desktop - Document/My Games/Skyrim/Saves

Not all my saves are present - a few of the laptop recent saves are there but not all of them from the character created while away, the rest are present. Curiously, the PC I just created is NOT present? Going to do a winsearch and see.

On Laptop - Documents/My Games/Skyrim/Saves

All previous saves including the desktop ones are present except for the new PC just created on the desktop. All the laptop saves are present.

Hope I can find a fix!

So in the end you are using steam cloud to have the saves in both the PCs right? If so as i said previously Steam cloud doesn't work well with Skyrim and could cause issues.

wOOt! Solved!

My problem was MO on the desktop - somehow the profile had switched from the default - most likely me with a keyboard slip and not noticing (possibly been drinking....) - switched back, copied the new PC from the profile save folder in MO to the regular location in documents and all my saves are on the load screen again for use.

Thanks for the interest and assistance Project579 :)