What is your favorite Hold, and why?

Cipherthe3vil

Whats your favorite Hold. Your Favorite area of Skyrim. On the same note, what is your LEAST favorite Hold?

I figure its about time I make a thread that wasn't cussing or otherwise crude in language. (ie; stupid, fking, ect. Sorry I get like that sometimes ^_^;)

There may already be a thread for this, but I didn't find one in my quick look through.

My favorite Hold is the Reach. Because there is lots of Forsworn twits to kill and I think its the most beautiful area, with lots of greenies and towering mountains abound.

My least favorite Hold is the Rift. Because it always makes me CTD and I think its rather boring (Probably because I've never been able to fully explore it. The only thing of interest I know is that nudist/spa camp in the hotsprings (I can explore the Hotsprings alright. Its more to the east that gives me problems, but dipping into the Hotsprings is fine.)). I always have to use COC or Fast travel to navigate Rift, because I can't walk from point A to point B without freezing or CTD'ing. Always. Sometimes I CTD just trying to get from Riften Stables to Goldenglow Estate for example.

The Reach is definitely my favorite. Lots of waterfalls, rivers, mountains, and greenery. I don't know any reason to hate it.

Edited by Cipherthe3vil

The Rift is my favourite. I enjoy Autumn the most of the seasons and having an area of Skyrim all fall'd out, well, how can I not like it? :D

My least favourite would have to the Tundra up north. Namely the areas from Dawnstar - Windhelm. I love the snow, don't get me wrong, but the area itself is just so hard to navigate and using the realism mods doesn't help the area either; one missed iceberg jump into the water and I'm loading up a quick save.

I have not actually explored the Reach fully, only followed the road to Markarth and back twice or thrice and gone to Sky Haven (I hate getting to that place...) but it looks like it has potential to be awesome.

The cause of your CTD's is most likely a mod you have conflicting, btw.

one missed iceberg jump into the water and I'm loading up a quick save.

The cause of your CTD's is most likely a mod you have conflicting, btw.

I've done that before XD

No. Rift has always caused me CTDs. Always. Even during the first 20 or so hours of play in which I had no mods at all. I do like the autumn look to the Rift, but the constant CTD's seriously puts me off, and drops the Rift down below all the other holds.

Edited by Cipherthe3vil

I figure its about time I make a thread that wasn't cussing or otherwise crude in language....

Aw, c'mon, just a little cuss? It just doesn't right somehow :biggrin:

J/k

I think you've summed up my feelings exactly why the Reach is my fave. Lotsa rivers and waterfalls, mountainous but still grassy, lotsa forsworn to keep my char on her toes. And I love some of the bigger ruins the forsworn have taken over. Plus there seems to be a lot more places where you can't just blindly follow the roads to get to. I have Bethjunkie's (very cool) Adventurer Camp mod, and my char always makes a pit stop at the one in the Reach when she's in the neighborhood. Great views and just a cool place to hang.

My least favourite is also the Rift. Not so much b/c of crashing problems, but mainly 'cuz the whole lush forest thing is cool and all, but just not as cool as the other holds.

edit: Lol, so I was just in the Rift and was thinking, geez, that's pretty cool... and that... and that... I have my criticisms of Skyrim for character developement, story depth and quest bugs but, man, (and especially with a load of Nexus hi-rez texties), I have no qualms with the game world that Bethesda's created. So, yeah, least favourite isn't really too bad a label for an area of Skyrim. They're all varying shades of awesome.

Edited by kevkiev

The Rift. The scenery is gorgeous. Looks very much like where I live. It's a little annoying that there's an enemy every 10 feet between Ivarstead and Riften, but once you clear that up...

Least favorite is Winterhold. Other than the college, that whole area is worthless and boring.

Edited by Rooker75

I have two favorites for sheer beauty....that's the Reach and the Rift....though the Reach wins out as the favorite, because it has the Forsworn, my favorite enemy and I simply just like them.

I don't think much of Winterhold...not much there and I don't play Mages, so even less there for me I guess.

I have two favorite Holds:Whiterun Hold and The Reach.

Whiterun Hold is the biggest Hold of all,and the Hold that i spend most of my time.

The Reach is amazing,it have so many waterfalls,the terrain is mountainous(i like it) and the region contains many members of the Forsworn(who i love to kill).

My least favorite Winterhold.That area is so boring,the only interest thing there is the College of Winterhold.However,the College of Winterhold is useless to me when i play Warrior chars(most of my characters are Warriors).

I think I'd also have to go with the Reach as my favorite hold, on balance. It is just such an amazing place to explore, the Forsworn notwithstanding. There are other parts of the holds that I perhaps enjoy more, like the north/west of Hafignaar or the mountains between Whiterun and the Pale, but the Reach is consistently great the whole way through.

Least favorite would have to be either Falkreath or Whiterun, but probably Falkreath. Considering the potential of a vast forested area, it is just really boring and bland, save the bit by Anna's cabin or whatnot (the archer in the mountains), but elevated terrain is more the exception than the rule in Falkreath. Whiterun is just... uninteresting, but at least the views are better.