How Many Mods Has This Guy 'Stolen'.

nonamenomad

I wonder how long my comments on his Realistic Map thread will last. Fwiw, I reported the mod on SW as well.

I've only started reading up on this issue. I'm not exactly the biggest steam fan in the world to begin with, but it's now a haven for stolen mods? Do these guys have any shame at all?

edit: lol, my comments on his SW thread lasted all of 4 minutes - one of which suggested that he upload it here and explain how it's not Ice Penguins mod and remove any doubt on the matter. (added one more just to say I've reported it - it'll probably be gone next time I look - *looks for nervous laughter emoticon*)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with what is stated in this thread, but question the usefulness of the poll.

Who would truly have any opinion other than "hate them" ánd be willing to be known for it?

Other than a few trolls or rebels...

So how can you be certain it's a copy-paste act, I mean perhaps both modders attempted to add the same thing based on existing examples (the in-game roads) and it therefor turned out the same?

Though it does seem suspicious to me how swiftly all those comments disappeared that were on the alleged thief's mod-page.

So how can you be certain it's a copy-paste act, I mean perhaps both modders attempted to add the same thing based on existing examples (the in-game roads) and it therefor turned out the same?

Well, anything's possible. But the exact same result, to the extent it's the exact same main file with the exact same add-on features? Imo, the odds are close to zero.

I also hate when a mod is stolen. Honestly, it's pretty messed up to think anyone could morally do that. I guess those that do it suspect it's "just a mod" but it's not, it's just like anything else you put your hard work into. Stealing anyone's work as your own is just wrong.

I've actually seen this the other way around though too. Someone makes a similar mod and others claim they stole theirs. If it's a really unique idea, then yes, of course, like if you wrote a whole storyline and this other mod has the same one, but I'm saying in general. Like a new weapon or something. Two people make similar swords with some kind of flame enchantment or something. I mean, come on, it could be a great mod still, but that isn't really an idea only one person could come up with. But I digress.

Steam is very slow on enforcing anything from what I've seen. Stolen mods far more so, but ported content as well. Like the ported Morrowind and Oblivion weapons that were up for... like, 2 months or something? And they were on the popular list even at one point lol They've started taking care of that a little more quickly now, but it's a shame stolen mods aren't dealt with more quickly as well.

I can´t believe the guy just deleted my comment, still he can´t delete the reports so, this is a shame, at best I hope it makes modders stop using the workshop the best mods are in the nexus anyway. Honestly we knew this was coming right after they announce the workshop, what a fail on steam´s part, it´s suppose to be an anti-pirate software and it does nothing, I wouldn´t be surprised if dawnguard ended up in the workshop for download XDXD

Yeah, he's pretty quick on the delete. Although one of mine did last for about 15 minutes. Since he's in Germany (though that's an assumption on my part), maybe the one I just posted will last a while longer given the time difference. (edit: nope) Edited by kevkiev

Perhaps mod authors could add a brief notice when the mod is first loaded in-game, "This mod is brought to you by [author]. If you downloaded it from someone else, you're not playing with the supported version." Put the message in a critical compiled script to make it harder to remove.

Honestly we knew this was coming right after they announce the workshop, what a fail on steam´s part, it´s suppose to be an anti-pirate software and it does nothing.

Hardly the workshop's fault that there are mod thieves. It's been happening since modding became popular long before Skyrim. I also think steam's anti-piracy effectiveness could be debated, but regardless, it's silly to expect steam to have software that would combat stolen mods. More dedicated staff maybe.

I agree with what is stated in this thread, but question the usefulness of the poll.

Who would truly have any opinion other than "hate them" ánd be willing to be known for it?

Other than a few trolls or rebels...

Though it does seem suspicious to me how swiftly all those comments disappeared that were on the alleged thief's mod-page.

I looked for a 'privacy' button for the poll but couldn't find one. You don't have to vote.