How Many Mods Has This Guy 'Stolen'.

nonamenomad

Technically, anything made for Skyrim is owned by Bethesda. It just so happens that modding websites such as Nexus and the Workshop have some respect for the modders so they don't allow others to rip off their work. The Workshop just takes longer to enforce this policy, but the law is in favor of the company that owns the game since everyone who buys the game agrees to the terms of use which makes it clear that all mods belong to them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received an email from Steam.

Quote :

Thank you for reporting content that violates the Steam Terms of Service or breaks the rules of the area in which it was submitted.

Because of your efforts, we've removed 2 more items from the Steam Community.

The Steam Support Team.

That's great news!

Ne0n still has other mods online in his Workshop. If I had my way, I'd make it so that if a mod creator has been proven to be a plagiarist, all of the mods they've uploaded would be considered suspect and taken offline until the mod "creator" can prove they weren't plagiarized. Faced with the burden of proof for all their uploads, I think that the vast majority of plagiarists would just walk away.

Taking their entire Workshop offline can limit the damage they can do to permissions. In one of the comments section of a mod that was uploaded by Ne0n, (that mod appears to be gone now), a user working on their own mod was thanking Ne0n for being granted the permission to incorporate the contents of one of "Ne0n's" mods into their own when it's likely Ne0n never had the right to authorize permission to begin with.

Technically, anything made for Skyrim is owned by Bethesda. It just so happens that modding websites such as Nexus and the Workshop have some respect for the modders so they don't allow others to rip off their work. The Workshop just takes longer to enforce this policy, but the law is in favor of the company that owns the game since everyone who buys the game agrees to the terms of use which makes it clear that all mods belong to them.

Their terms of service can say what they like, but that does not make it true. Bethesda do not actually own the game engine, they only license it, so their claim to anything made using the Creation Kit is a little redonkulous to say the least. It's a bit like if I used a set of Black and Decker tools to make a piece of furniture and them then coming along and saying "I'll be having that sunshine..." So, with my lawyer's wig on, I am not convinced that the law would be in favour of Bethesda.

Last I heard, GStaff was admin on the Workshop as well and said something about not giving a brass razoo, or words to that effect, about mod poaching. Perhaps hounding them has had an effect since then.

A bit unrelated, but since you guys seem schooled on Steam/Workshop rules, I recently posted an audio main theme replacer, however someone just commented that some other guy did exactly the same thing many months ago - same track, same everything. So my mod is basically a duplicate and 99% redundant. The remaining 1% usefulness of my mod as I see it is that folks who never saw the original mod get a chance to see mine and enjoy the greatness of the track (neither me or the other mod author actually made the track - we just liked it enough to make it a replacer).

So, what you guys reckon - I should take it down as being a spamming duplicate mod, or leave it to run and people get 2 chances to find the awesomness of the track in question... so you know what I am talking about the track in question is here:

Not that fussed either way - was fun learning how to do sound replacements and work with XVM files (as in WTF are XVM files...)

My mod:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=72850

The other mod wayyy before mine:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=8042

Be interested on what you guys views are...

Bethesda do not actually own the game engine, they only license it, so their claim to anything made using the Creation Kit is a little redonkulous to say the least.

Wait... what?

Wouldn't it make sense that the creator of a game engine would be the owner of said game engine? If not them then at least their publishers? In either case it wouldn't be the players.

I agree with everything else you said, though: Using someone else's tools doesn't mean they own the rights to what you created.

A bit unrelated, but since you guys seem schooled on Steam/Workshop rules, I recently posted an audio main theme replacer, however someone just commented that some other guy did exactly the same thing many months ago - same track, same everything. So my mod is basically a duplicate and 99% redundant. The remaining 1% usefulness of my mod as I see it is that folks who never saw the original mod get a chance to see mine and enjoy the greatness of the track (neither me or the other mod author actually made the track - we just liked it enough to make it a replacer).

So, what you guys reckon - I should take it down as being a spamming duplicate mod, or leave it to run and people get 2 chances to find the awesomness of the track in question... so you know what I am talking about the track in question is here:

Not that fussed either way - was fun learning how to do sound replacements and work with XVM files (as in WTF are XVM files...)

My mod:

http://steamcommunit...wse?appid=72850

The other mod wayyy before mine:

http://steamcommunit...etails/?id=8042

Be interested on what you guys views are...

If it's your own work and hasn't been copied and pasted and then claimed as your own then fair enough. What I'm on about is bare face plagiarism.

Clicked the link to see, and Got this :

Sorry!

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This Steam Workshop item has been banned for either violating the Steam Terms of Service, the Steam Workshop Legal Agreement, or the Terms of Service for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Here's a link to the Steam Community home page.

Looks like steam did te right thing eventually.

Clicked the link to see, and Got this :

Sorry!

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This Steam Workshop item has been banned for either violating the Steam Terms of Service, the Steam Workshop Legal Agreement, or the Terms of Service for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Here's a link to the Steam Community home page.

Looks like steam did te right thing eventually.

Steam removed the offending files but his Steam Workshop page is still there. I'll be keeping a beady eye on his files.