How Good Is This Computer?

HeirApparent

Well, lets face it. I know a lot about computers, but only software. I don't know much of anything about their hardware except for stuff like graphics cards. How good is this PC and how worth the price is it?

Price: $2,482

Gamer Mage D295

1 x Case ( Azza Solaris Gaming Case - Blue )

0 x Case Lighting ( None )

0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )

0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )

** 1 x Processor ( AMD FX-8150 CPU (8x 3.60GHz/8MB L2 Cache) )

0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )

1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - Standard 120mm Fan )

1 x Memory ( 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )

1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - 2GB - 3-Way SLI Mode (Triple Cards) )

1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )

1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE] Creative Labs Fatal1ty Gaming Headset - Free with Purchase of any system over $1499 )

1 x Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 -- AMD 990FX w/ 6x PCI-E 2.0 x16 )

1 x Power Supply ( 1200 Watt - Thermaltake TR2 TRX-1200M )

1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Dual 1TB Drives (2TB Capacity) - RAID 0 High Performance )

0 x Data Hard Drive ( None )

1 x Optical Drive ( [12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black )

0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )

1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black )

0 x Meter Display ( None )

0 x USB Expansion ( None )

1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )

0 x Monitor ( None )

0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )

1 x Speaker System ( iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )

0 x Video Camera ( None )

0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )

1 x Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service )

1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

** Note the 8-Core

Edited by HeirApparent

Great if you have the 2.5k to spend, but you could probably go up to 16gb RAM without issues depending on your motherboard... Of course since you're buying it pre-built that means buying it as-is, then buying the RAM separately to upgrade on your own.

Although liquid cooling may sound so "1337" and hardcore gamer... it's easy for a pump to fail or for you to forget to maintain it. A watercooled system only makes sense if you plan to overclock the processor... in which case you usually void the warranty. Liquid cooling also may not factor for videocard overheating... which may be an issue if you don't have reasonable airflow moving through your case.

I could probably build something of reasonably similar performance for about 75% the cost. So I guess that's about normal markup (Alienware is 60% markup)...

Great if you have the 2.5k to spend, but you could probably go up to 16gb RAM without issues depending on your motherboard... Of course since you're buying it pre-built that means buying it as-is, then buying the RAM separately to upgrade on your own.

Although liquid cooling may sound so "1337" and hardcore gamer... it's easy for a pump to fail or for you to forget to maintain it. A watercooled system only makes sense if you plan to overclock the processor... in which case you usually void the warranty. Liquid cooling also may not factor for videocard overheating... which may be an issue if you don't have reasonable airflow moving through your case.

I could probably build something of reasonably similar performance for about 75% the cost. So I guess that's about normal markup (Alienware is 60% markup)...

Yeah I get the markup, but it doesn't bother me too much. I'd build my own if I knew what I was doing, and didn't have so much bad luck with self-installation! :P I can't make anything without there being 5,000 problems. Took me 30 minutes to install my router signal booster! :P

But anyways, you're saying I should go without the liquid cooling? Only reason it's on there is because I didn't deselect it. I thought that might cause problems with 8 processors, 3 high end graphics cards, and a high-end motherboard.

So no liquid cooling should be a no problem situation? Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink is my only other option.

I also went with more memory. 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module like you suggested right?

Edited by HeirApparent

With air cooling, it's a little louder, but most processors are designed to run in an aircooled environment since that is the type of cooling that is easier for consumers. As long as you are not overclocking the processor or sticking the PC inside a poorly ventilated computer cabinet, you should be able to maintain reasonably good temperatures using a quality fans and heatsink. Unless the processor specifies that it needs water-cooling, a fan should work well enough. If you're in doubt, you could always just go with a quad core with a higher speed or cache. Many programs don't really handle multi-threading well anyway, so usually it is one core handling an entire program while the other cores process mostly other things, which is why you can often see one core at 50+% load while others are sitting around 10%. Processor speed comes from a combined throughput of each processor, not the speed that each processor is running at, so a quadcore 3.2 can sometimes run faster than an octocore 3.6. Much of actual speed boils down to what programs are being used, and how well each of those cores are able to pass information between eachother and the installed RAM.

Liquid cooling is mostly for those who plan on overclocking their processors, or who are bothered by the noise that fans generate.

Both systems require some level of maintenance.

Air-cooled systems should be cleaned of dust about once a year, but sometimes more depending on how dusty the room is and how high of fan speed. Generally this involves using a low power vacuum (dust buster with narrow attachment), and a small, clean, paintbrush (natural bristles) to help sweep out the tight spots in your processor. But you usually get some idea of when a cleaning is needed when your computer starts to run warmer than usual. If a fan dies suddenly, your computer may still overheat, but since fans are louder and you have more than one running (one on the processor and one on the case) it is less likely to go unnoticed or lead to catastrophic failure and damage of the hardware. Replacement of a fan is a simple process and most of the parts can be ordered.

Water-cooled systems should be checked every 3-6 months for leaks or blockages and depending on the system may require re-filling every few weeks. Someone who has used that specific system before could probably be better at describing the full process. If the pump dies, so does your entire system cooling, requiring the pump to be replaced and increasing the possibility of a leak, in addition to removing the only method for cooling your computer. If a leak forms inside your case, it's almost certain to fry one or more components.

Given how uncomfortable you are with dealing with hardware, you might not want to go with a water-cooled system unless you have someone you can have maintain it for you and sign off liability on the parts.

Wow, Vagrant0. You have gone far beyond what I'm asking for. Thanks for all the great information! Will note for reference. :)

Thanks. I shall go with the Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink. The computer doesn't need the liquid-cooling from my specs (according to the manufacture's tech support),

And kudos to you, sir!

You're just flaunting your gaming rig :facepalm: .

For my opinion your rig is pretty much the standard.

Like what Vagrant0 have said, if you don't know anything about maintaining computer hardwares I suggest you don't use liquid cooling system.

Edited by kanakosoup