Dawnguard Vampire Attacks = Game Killer?

Sky999

The vampire attacks devastated my first play through. The mods to stop this are, to me, essential.

Riverwood was a ghost town. They even murdered the dog.

Had attacks where I heard the commotion and was still too late. Had a run of masters with a gargoyle and a pair of hounds that made short work of NPCs.

i still have a follower mod I never hire, Aetia, since her home point is lounging on the Rverwood traders front porch. I equip her very well and just leave her there, she is essential and functions as a powerful town guard.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never knew you were supoosed to kill those black robes dudes walking the streets, thought they were maybe future vampire questgivers or maybe clan vampires. They were non hostle. Should not matter thanks to mod essitles are immortal and I dont think they will kill camy.

Edited by skyquest32

• 2 months later...

the "resurrect" console command can't always be implemented, as the attacking vamps like to reanimate any corpse handy, and when the y do finally die whom ever they reanimated turns to a pile of ash... Heck, I've even tried to resurrect a few reanimated creatures, and they just died and went "POOF! I'm an ash pile." Using the "kill" console command does the same with reanimated people, but "resurrect" does nothing.

• 5 months later...

ok something I have noticed on multiple games is that most repeat MOST of the time a vampire

attack will be in the open and VERY easily defeated. however it is possible for Dawnguard to

BREAK the game (ie I had a mysterious vampire attack in Whiterun kill the Jarl on me.......the very

first time I entered Whiterun on that game by the time I saw something was going on it was already

to late to save him, and I did try reloading but he was dead before I got to Dragonsreach).

it is EXCEPTIONALLY rare to have happen though.

as for the mod on nexus to delay the start of Dawnguard I have ctd with it. on game just started due to a

corrupt savefile issue I am going to have to do Dawnguard at lvl 10 start so it cannot kill a quest giver.

I have seen and can confirm it can break the game. total of 11 times 4 on x360 and 7 on pc (across

more hours of playing than I like admitting to (400+ on x360 and even more on pc).

easiest solution is to do Dawnguard as soon as you can be recruited. if not pray you are in a position

to fix quest breaks it causes (either load a save or resurrect on pc).

and before someone goes and says it CANNOT kill a essential pc I will say its NOT supposed to but the

mysterious stranger attacks HAVE done so to me on multiple times in multiple games (up to date versions).

in conclusion anyone who has never had a quest break from it congratulations you are lucky.

for myself I just do it as early as possible and let that solve the issue for me.

At higher levels, the vampires can dispatch most nonessential civilians in one shot, and they roam in packs that don't necessarily take one target at a time, and appear on the other side of the town, and a lot of NPCs don't have the sense to run away. If anyone honestly thinks there's a way to consistently 'outplay' a situation like that without losing NPCs, I want to see some video evidence, because I can't even get to the scene fast enough let alone kill them all before somebody gets got.

I have found the only sure fire way to avoid Vamp attacks...well, has worked for me...is never enter a Town between Dusk and late Dawn...But if you Fast Travel, Carriage Ride or have a House in a Town I am guessing that could be difficult to time. Other than that, I think the only way it can be dealt with is Mods...These Vamp attacks were a very bad choice on Bethesda's behalf :(

• 1 year later...

It is 100% impossible for NPCs inside of towns to die before you get to the town for the same reason as its impossible for you to be in Eastmarch and have a named NPC in the Reach die.

NPCs cannot be killed unless you are in the same cell as them because there not loaded and the game does nothing with them until you are in the same cell.

a Khajiit Caravan in Dawnstar cannot be killed while you are in Whiterun hold, a NPC in Riften cannot be killed if you're in Solitude, NPCs cannot die unless you are in the same cell as them.

im not sure about that i have my follower set to 5000 health. when i hunt mammoths from horseback with bow the giants usually get her on her knees (she cant be killed except by you when at 0 health)

• 1 month later...