Dawnguard Vampire Attacks = Game Killer?

Sky999

I also experienced a vampire attack on Whiterun. There I was, sauntering out of my house one morning when I saw several of my friends being butchered by vampires! I could not save the female blacksmith - one of the best traders in the game due to her being available to buy stuff really early in the morning and so handy being just next door. I killed the vampires and then used the console to resurrect AA. Despite the fact that she was still speaking to me and trading, a messenger came up to me and told me that I had been left 100 gold in her will. Luckily I had recently saved, so I reloaded. The next day, the same thing happened and this time the female blacksmith was murdered, then 'resurrected' by one of the vampires as a zombie to fight on his side. When I killed him, poor AA dissolved into a pile of ash from which she could not be resurrected. Again I reloaded.

Not liking the fact that my friends in Whiterun were being butchered and not finding the constant paranoia / reloading issue whenever I went home to Whiterun very pleasant, I decided to do something about it. Guessing that if I completed the Dawnguard main quest the attacks would stop, I rushed my way through the campaign to beat Lord Harkon and restored peace to Whiterun.

All good fun, but the problem I have with it is that I would have liked to have taken my time over the Dawnguard campaign, like collecting the Dwema schematas for various crossbow upgrades, etc. The vampire attacks really forced me to rush to the conclusion, which seems a waste of a good set of side quests. Fulfilling the Dawnguard side errands now that he vampires are all dead lacks any sense of urgency.

Conclusion? While the vampire attacks are exciting and add to the game, I think that certain NPCs should have been made essential. To lose traders and important citizens of Whiterun and other cities just isn't on. The world of Skyrim is underpopulated as it is without that.

Previous to Dawnguard, the dragons were a major problem in terms of citizen killing, particularly for characters who spent a lot of time outside. The female trader in Winterhold kept being fried by a dragon on her balcony, for instance. I also remember witnessing the Nord and Redguard husband and wife blacksmith team in Dawnstar being disembowelled by frost trolls on one occasion as well. I just can't help wanting to reload o such occasions. Sentimental? Perhaps.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with the losses....aside from losing needed Merchants and losing mini-quests....is the loss of named population. This loss I think is the main issue, when Guards dies they respawn, but as for named NPC's, there really are not enough people in Skyrim to take such a heavy hit....would be too easy to end up with an empty Skyrim whilst you still have a low level character....and rushing through the Dawnguard DLC to try and lower your losses just sucks a whole lot of fun out of the game.....Once again the modders community have had to come to the rescue to repair another of Bethesda's stuff up's....I do love the Bethesda games and I know developing a game is an enormous task....but there are a number of important issues that should have been seen to in the development.

The problem with the losses....aside from losing needed Merchants and losing mini-quests....is the loss of named population. This loss I think is the main issue, when Guards dies they respawn, but as for named NPC's, there really are not enough people in Skyrim to take such a heavy hit....would be too easy to end up with an empty Skyrim whilst you still have a low level character....and rushing through the Dawnguard DLC to try and lower your losses just sucks a whole lot of fun out of the game.....Once again the modders community have had to come to the rescue to repair another of Bethesda's stuff up's....I do love the Bethesda games and I know developing a game is an enormous task....but there are a number of important issues that should have been seen to in the development.

Yeah, good point. I can see how you could end up with an almost an empty named-npc world by starting with Dawnguard enabled from the getgo. Which would take a ton of personality from the game. Most recently, my char and Serana saved the day during an attack in Rorikstaed... I mean, yikes, aside from those kids that place doesn't have a lot of population to lose! And yeah, worrying about that and rushing through the DLC isn't a great solution. Seems like the kind of idea that probably sounded great in concept but doesn't work out so well in practise. But, as has been stated by Bethesda themselves, they don't spend a lot of time testing and would rather fix things later (er.... ). I can see the practical benefits with such complex games, but the drawbacks can be pretty huge too - I think sometimes they miss the borderline obvious.

But, yeah, at least we have the Nexus to rely on to come up with solutions. Geez, without mods or console commands, PS3 and Xbox players really get the short end of the stick in this game. I wonder how they even get by sometimes. (I had to "setstage" through a quest yesterday for the umpteenth time.)

NEED HELP !

I just bought (and enabled) DG !

Now, out of the blue adrienne avencini (the smith at the entrance of whiterun) is dead !

There was no Vampire Attack !

I saved the game before her body disappears forever !

What´s the console command to bring her back to life ?? Resurrect didn´t work !

For me - Game Breaker , i even had the No Vampire Attacks mod enabled to prevent this kind of thing.... :wallbash:

EDIT : Never mind , i got the ressurect command to work. 2 guards and another NPC also showed up dead too.

I saved a named save called B4DG just i case i have to rollback my game and DISABLE dawnguard ! lol !! :thumbsup: nice job !! :ohdear:

Edited by canimodo

To my sorrow I made an error and left Adrienne Avenicci out of my bat file because yes, you guessed it, I was just taking Sylvanel for a stroll around Whiterun and the vampires attacked and killed her. :wallbash: Added her now for the benefit of other characters.

Well , dont know if it has to do with me ressurecting her (2 posts above), but now she disappeared for good !

Cant see her body around town !

I doubt its part of the storyline (if it is, pls let me know), but im disabling DG. (The No Vampire Attack mod didnt work cause i got attacked in whiterun).

Dont wanna play the game with ppl just disapearing like that. :facepalm:

:pirate:

EDIT --> Apparently the mod DOES work. I forgot to pick the amulet up !

Edited by canimodo

This is for Canimodo about the missing Adrienne....

SPOILER ALERT

One of the later Dawnguard quests I had was to rescue her from a cave when she was kidnapped by a vampire - so perhaps that's where she is. I'm not sure if the cave is variable, but in my game it was that mountain pass between Whiterun and the old Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary in the south. There is an entrance to the pass on both the north and south sides of the mountain range anyway. Either go straight there and look or get the quest from the Dawnguard. Hope this helps!

This is for Canimodo about the missing Adrienne....

Thx Jamaal13 !

I enabled DG back , and im using the Non Vapire Attack on Towns MOD !

I hadnt even started the DG questline cause i was not sure i was going to play it.

Gonna give it a try ! (of course, gonna have a backup savegame before starting it)

+kudo lol (what the hell is a kudo?)

It's a game killer alright.

I got Dawnguard a couple of weeks ago, having already played the base-game for 170+ hours, got two chars up to lvl 50. Now at this level the vamps that attack aren't just two-hit dead guys. They're 'master-vampires' that slaughter everything they see. Although guards can hold their own against there buggers, civvies rushing the menace are usually instantly fried by AoE-attacks and/or summoned things. This lost me half the population of Whiterun once. And has, in the last 70 hours of gameplay lost me just about the entire Solitode market-square, one NPC at a time.

I played 170 HOURS without one dragon killing an NPC. And then in the first 20 hours of playing with Dawnguard I lose entire populations on multiple occasions (reloading is tiresome) and other populations are slowly drained over time. Now while I like the vamp-attacks in the wild, I really think that towns should be safezones.

Also: Resurrecting a character doesn't help. They'll simply have vanished by the next time you get back to town. That's how I lost Belethor, anyway.

Really hoping this Vampire Repellent Amulet mod works... And someone should really add some "safe town" or "anti town vamp" or "immortal NPC" mods to the Steam Workshop, as there's nothing like that in there.

I finished the DG MQ and now I miss those vampire attacks. I liked traveling to the towns and hoping that an attack would occur. It was usually chaos trying to single out the vampires, and it was very satisfying when you successfully killed them without a loss to the townspeople.

I may go back to a save right before I finished it just so this feature comes back.