How solid is Vortex at this point?

blitzen

I'm having some problems with NMM now after years of reliable installing. It has become very, very slow and it's not installing all the files it should. My SSE folder contains 193 GB and 277,649 files. I'm pretty sure I had more mods installed in LE without having problems, but it may be time to do an intelligent re-install of SSE at some point when I'm ready to play it again (which may not be until some of the large mods in development are released). Is Vortex going to be able to handle an install with 500+ plugins (lots of mod merging)? How does it compare to NMM in performance? Is it robust?

Edited by blitzen

How solid is Vortex? Well, try it and decide for yourself. However, do not use Vortex to manage a game in progress. Start a new game and proceed slowly, learning as you go. Watch the videos that you can access from the Vortex dashboard. Study the built-in Vortex Knowledge Base, which can also be accessed from the dashboard. Pay special attention to the pros and cons of trying to import mods from NMM. And spend time in these Vortex forums.

Most importantly, be prepared to unlearn some NMM habits, especially in regard to load order management and file conflict resolution. Vortex handles these issues in a different and ultimately more effective way than NMM. Many of the difficulties people have with Vortex result from neglecting these important differences and trying to use Vortex as if it were some version of NMM.

I've used Vortex for a year now, beginning when Vortex was still alpha. I've had extensive previous experience with Wrye Bash, OBMM, FOMM, MO, and NMM, all of which served me well. In my opinion, however, Vortex is the best of the bunch.

But you need to find that out for yourself.

Guest deleted34304850

how do you quantify solid? the experience is different for each user. only you can answer how solid it is - for you.

however, it is very solid, but we do have some very flaky users.

You seem to be asking Vortex to manage 277,000 already installed files. That is not going to happen.

Vortex needs to start with a clean game directory.

Then install all your mods using Vortex. Vortex on it's own does not merge mods; that is up to you.

Check out some of the introductory tutorial videos.

I, along with some of the others here, have used Vortex since the first Beta. I have seen a few hiccups along the way, but I now consider it very solid.

My question was more about how it will perform when used to manage a very heavily modded game. NMM is taking a long time to install mods at this point, and isn't installing some files, which is very odd. NMM doesn't crash, but it's not installing correctly now for unknown reasons. If I were to start using Vortex, it would be with a fresh SSE install, so it would be a huge time investment recreating my current setup. I don't want to find out that Vortex can't handle it after all that work.

You seem to be asking Vortex to manage 277,000 already installed files. That is not going to happen.

Vortex needs to start with a clean game directory.

Then install all your mods using Vortex. Vortex on it's own does not merge mods; that is up to you.

Check out some of the introductory tutorial videos.

I, along with some of the others here, have used Vortex since the first Beta. I have seen a few hiccups along the way, but I now consider it very solid.

Where did I say that I'm asking Vortex to manage an existing installation? Did you actually read the post: "it may be time to do an intelligent re-install of SSE "

I'm asking if it can manage a large installation without problems. And you are answering questions I didn't ask. I know how to merge mods.

Edited by blitzen

how do you quantify solid? the experience is different for each user. only you can answer how solid it is - for you.

however, it is very solid, but we do have some very flaky users.

Are people only reading the title? I'm asking if it can manage a very heavily modded game without crashing , slowing down dramatically, or having install errors. That is why there is some text in the body of the post. The "performance" and "robust" words were the important ones. The statistics I provided about the current installation is simply to show the general size what it would be managing. So the quantification of "solid" would be the behaviour described in the second sentence of this response, combined with the scale of the installation described in the original post.

Edited by blitzen

If you aren't going to bother reading the original post, don't respond. It seems that people just read the title and make a bunch of incorrect assumptions and answer questions I didn't ask. It's real simple: Is anyone using Vortex to manage very heavily modded SSE installs without having any problems such as crashes, botched mod installs, or severe performance degradation? That's all I want to know.

Edited by blitzen

Guest deleted34304850

this is your title;

How solid is Vortex at this point?

so yes, i read the title. the text within was answered elsewhere. you asked a question that is unquantifiable, except by yourself after you've migrated your 6 billion gigs of mods. if you dont like the answer, ask a better, more formulated question. none of us here are mind readers, or have access to your system.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

If you don't read the text don't respond. Real simple. Just reading the title is pointless. How many posts here on the Nexus could you intelligently respond to by only reading the title? The title is just to identify the general topic of the post. Your comment is bulls***. You are too lazy to read the whole post, then complain that you don't have enough information to answer the question. Seriously? Nobody will mistake you for a genius.

Edited by blitzen