End of an era?

Deleted3881394User

Just for further input, this topic has came up several times before even before Skyrim came out. Several people complained about how there were more equipment (ie clothing) coming in than anything else. As several posters already mentioned, quest-type mods take a very long time to make. It is far easier to simply put equipment into the game and most people are not willing to put the time and dedication it takes to do the quest mods.

A suggestion to the OP and others that feel similar: take up the torch yourself. Mod what you want to see rather than complain about what's coming out.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

I have to echo Xenavire, in that every mod adds a bit more to crafting Oblivion to suit one's taste. I just started playing the game in November of 2011 (and got sucked into it majorly); in that time I've probably downloaded well over 200 mods, and that's just scratching the surface of what's out there among the older mods. The majority were to suit my style of play or alter the Oblivion world to better suit that (or my tastes), and I'm happy to say, I"m still finding stuff to add--even as new mods have slowed down considerably (I even cloned my Oblivion setup to run an alternate using HGEC just so I can check out all the offerings for that body mod, and try a different style of play and modding.)

I've only been modding for a couple of months now, and most of what I've had to offer is pretty simple fare, mostly suited around things I've always wanted to see in game; while I've picked up quite a bit, there's still much to modding that is a mystery to me, or beyond my (limited) time and patience to learn. I can truly say I have *nothing but the utmost respect* for the guys like Lanceor who do the big mods, overhauls, or even add systems to the game like Maskar with his "Basic Personal..." mods--I say this because I figure if I find the small stuff I do this frustrating, I can't begin to wrap my mind around how they can put so much time, effort and knowledge into the works they do, and create something so awesome in the end.

As a new modder too, I can see why some might give up after a mod or two; the possibilities are as overwhelming as the functions and commands of the CS, but the actual info/explanations are a bit thin (much of what I've learned has come from either studying the work of others or the "Okay, let's see what this does!" method of learning), hence adding to the slowdown a bit. I don't think the era has ended though; just look at Morrowind. It came out in 2003 and people are STILL producing mods for it, and probably will for years to come. :dance:

Since I've been mentioned, I may as well chime in. :)

Because of their long development times, the release of large mods will lag behind the popularity of the game by two or three years. IMHO, Oblivion reached its peak "modding-wise" around 2010. A lot of big quest mods would have been started around then, and we will continue to see them being released over the next year or two.

Skyrim is quite oblviously a "competitor" to Oblivion. As expected, a lot of players stopped playing Oblivion and switched to Skyrim when it came out. Anyone thinking of making a large mod would have known this, so soon after Skyrim's announcement, I would imagine that no new big projects would have been started.

You could say that it's the end of an era, but it's pretty normal for games to be at their most popular when they are new, and the popularity of mods will lag behind it for a year or two.

Let me also add as an example, the Stealth Wars mod I made in which adds in player-hunting NPCs (with special functionality I might add :thumbsup: ) took a year to develop. And when it comes to playing it, it doesn't seem all that complicated. It's the "behind the scenes" stuff that took so long to develop, ie scripting. Edited by lonewolf_kai

Well its understandable though. The majority of mods out there are equipment addons. But thats okay. There's still a good bit of quest/dungeon mods out there too. You just have to look for them. I'd suggest using the category function on the Nexus when looking for them.

As I'm sure you're aware, just be careful when adding and check for compatibility with your other mods. :dance: