ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Anyone else hate the combat recently?

Rohok

So I play on Master difficulty- I have a rule. If I can't play a game on the highest difficulty setting I shouldn't be playing it. So here I am on the master difficulty, and at the lower levels it was great. Combat was a rush- It took a few hits to kill someone, but at the same time, it took a few hits for me to die (Except those god damn wounded spiders- I've never had a more frustrating time) Combat was fast paced, it was deadly, it was all about getting hits in, dodging, and blocking attacks at the right moments or I'd be dead.

But now at level 39 I'm getting one-shotted with arrows, and iron long swords are killing me in three whole swings, and yet with my 70 damage ebony longsword it takes upwards of 20 or 30 hits to bring most high level opponents down to half health, and don't even get me started on when I'm in werewolf form- Still takes a lot of hits to kill someone, and I get one-hit killed by every weapon in the game. The only thing this difficulty is challenging is my patience, not my skill. Is anyone else experiencing problems like this? I've tried every mod I could find that "improves" the combat but all it does is make it easier for enemies to kill me, and makes it so it takes longer for them to be killed (not harder, longer- it's a grind, like WoW). It's not skill-based, it's grind based, and the more swings I throw at the enemy the more they go down. It should take timing and skill to take down an opponent, so what happened to it? And why are enemies getting harder when I'm supposedly getting stronger?

Nothing seems to work. I've tried ACE, Duel - Combat Realism, Arrow Tweaks, etc. What have all of you done to remedy such a game breaking flaw in design? There's no way I'm lowering the difficulty setting to make it "easier". I still want to die in a few hits, but at the same time I want to be able to kill every enemy in the game with skill and finesse- minus the larger beasts which are rightfully high in health points. Since level 25 or so winning fights has consisted of me sneak attacking with a bow and arrow and drawing enemies into traps. My level 100 heavy armor and level 100 one-hand and level 70 block are nigh useless against anything considered a high level creature. It seems like the moment you get in close, you're dead. Not to mention shields don't block damage?

Someone please help. Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Rohok

Enchant your gear, invest in smithing levels and perks, grab plenty of health pots and deadly poisons and make sure you get the most our of your sneak skill.

I've definitely got loads of health potions as well as cooked food as back ups- In a lot of high end fights I'll run out of potions, cooked food, uncooked meats, and end up just munching through 300 carrots to bring my health back up if I really need it.

What kind of enchantments for my armor should I be getting?

Crafting, or dial back the difficulty. I usually don't suggest Smithing, and Enchanting up to OP, but if you insist on sticking with Master, this is the only way. You realize, that means you do 50% damage, while they do 200%, right? If you're an Orc, you can even it out, for 60sec only for melee damage. About the only way to compensate is improving your weapons, and armor.

Recently? Haha! I've always hated the combat in Skyrim.

But seriously, you might actually want to consider lowering the difficulty. I know a lot of people consider this a matter of pride for some bizarre reason, but the purpose of having variable difficulty is to let you adjust the game to a level where you are actually having fun. You are not actually supposed to torture yourself through the game just because "real men play at Hardest!" or whatever. You said it yourself: You were having the most fun when the fights were challenging but even.

Personally, I prefer the lower difficulty settings because I play games to relax and I'm not a damn masochist. Usually I start out at whatever amounts to medium and adapt the difficulty from there. The only time I've set Skyrim to Master was when I fought Alduin, because I'd heard he was kinda weaksauce and I wanted a memorable final boss fight. I've spent a lot of time playing on Novice and I can tell you right now that on that setting, the experience is the exact opposite to what you describe: At the higher levels and with sufficiently twinked out gear, almost nothing can kill you and you one-shot all but the strongest enemies.

So, you know, maybe you should give Expert a try?

The ACE combat mod doesn't make it easier for enemies to kill you if you know how to fight.

Other than that, get enchanted stuff. I found vanilla skyrim too easy so I had to make it harder with mods.

Either go all in for a certain style of play (in vanilla, sneak assassin/archer is by far the easiest. You'll be 1 hitting those death overlords) or make sure your hybrid encompasses enchanting and alchemy.