Dawnguard: Arch-curate Vyrthur boss fight problems

drshomeboy

Hello. I'll try to get straight to the point. I've been playing Dawnguard DLC for the past few days and I've picked to fight on the Dawnguard's faction side. I've reached the mission Touching the Sky in which I am told to confront arch-curate Vyrthur. The problem is the actual boss fight, because I cannot progress past it. Vyrthur unfrozes a bunch of chaurus bugs that attack me, I kill them, then he sends a few frozen falmers on me, I kill those too, then Vyrthur says: "a good display, but your time is at an end." and this is were everything stops working properly. Vyrthur starts using magic to destroy chapel pillars, but that's about it. There are still some falmers frozen and I've seen a youtube video in which they are unfrozen by Vyrthur and the fight continues. Basically the boss fight scripting seems to get broken right after Vyrthur's "your time is at an end" comment. I have lots of mods installed, I haven't had problems in the previous quests before this one. I was hoping it was a mod issue, I disabled most of them but it didn't fix the problem. I fast traveled to other places and reloaded the chapel to be sure that mods were not interfering any longer, but still the same.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of issue? is there a possible fix for it?

Edited by drshomeboy

I'm having the same problem except I dont even get to the "a good display, but your time is at an end." part. I kill the bugs and falmers that become unfrozen but then he just sits there. I hope it's not because of a mod (which it probably is)

Same problem, tried console commands - no use, half of Falmer enemies still frozen and there is no Ancient Frost Atronach conjure by the boss.

Disabling the mods, and reinstal the game, and playing new character have no effect.

Somebody, please, help.

Edited by Eilando

How are you guys holding up? This bug is damn terror, nothing less than game-breaking. Un-freaking-acceptable. I had a huge problem with getting in Auriel's Chapel initially, the glacial tunnel waypoint to it kept teleporting me back to the entrance of the inner sanctum (with the huge statue of Auriel). I did finally manage to get into Auriel's Chapel however, but the fight was even more of an abomination. On my first try, I could only get to the frozen chaurus wave before the Arch Curate sits idle and doesn't unfreeze the falmer - what the ****!?

Upon reloading a quick-save right outside the entrance or the map transition (Inner Sanctum -> Auriel's Chapel) autosave, the fight randomizes. One time, I got past the first frozen falmer wave ("an impressive display" dialogue line), and the other time I got so far as for the Arch Curate to drop ceiling debris on my head at 60 second intervals (longer than it should take). After a couple more tries, he actually does things right this time, and here I am past the buggiest boss battle of the decade.

Best of luck, hope it turns out well for you guys soon.

P.S. I have over 110 mod .esps activated and many, many more loose files in my game directory. Mod issue causing this, perhaps?

EDIT: Another problem now. Finished all prerequisites, but the next quest following 'Touching The Sky' isn't starting. I was expecting bugs like in every Bethesda product, but GOD DAMN - how am I even supposed to finish DG at this rate?

EDIT 2: Solved by using 'setstage dlc1vq07 200' quest to complete Touching The Sky.

Edited by Rattlesnark

Well since I've encountered this bug I've put Skyrim on hold until the next patch. When I have time though, I'll try to make a new save to check if I get the same bug without any mods installed. Other than that, I haven't found any fix for this yet.

EDIT: Ah, yes, I did the setstage command that I found on a Skyrim wiki, but I'm hoping to fix the quest, not bypass it completely.

Edited by drshomeboy

• 5 weeks later...

I've moved past that point, guys, but in vain too :( I'm a VL and the problem with this fight starts right at the beginning of the fight - just instantly after a quest update text when I enter the chamber with frozen Falmers Serana becomes hostile and attacks me. Then I'm killing all falmers and frost atronach, and the boss destroes the dome of the chapel, revealing the battlefiled to the sky. There goes a script where my character comes to first person view and crambles to the ground. And that's it for me - I've seen the YouTube walkthrough, just after the player falls, Serana crouches next to him and asks if he's OK, and then calls to fallow her to hte balcony. The boss is idle and the talking part starts. But not in my case. In my version of the buggy game Serana never asks if I'm ok, she stops being hostile to me, but she rushes on a boss and they start to fight endlessly, and I myself can move but cannot attack, cast spells, use powers or even draw my weapon. That's a f***ing epic fail, Bethesda!!!! I tried to disable all mods, making clear save and re-running all the Chapel - to no use :( It's obviously a default game scripting bug, so I'll stop playing Skyrim until a patch is out :(

P.S. I too don't want to skip part of a game with setstage command, so I'll wait for a patch or a community solution. I have more hope for the Unoficial Dawnguard patch then Bethesda, though. I'll contact this mod's authors and ask them to look into this bug.

I've found a solution to what I think is Ioshilee's problem. I had similar issues with Serana attacking the arch curate and I fixed it once by opening the console, selecting serana and then using the <kill> command which rendered her passive. This allowed the the curate to run away and do his little speech thing. When I retested this it didn't work as cleanly though and the deadlock fighting between the two of them began. Instead I had to use a combination of <stopcombat> and <kill> commands on the arch curate over and over again until he had time to run away from serana. Still missed the little speech thing, but it allowed the quest to progress more normally. If you want to revive serana, she'll do it on her own, or for a speedier solution use the <resurrect 1> command (not the plan resurrect command or else you'll lose all her items!). Hope this helps.

I've found a solution to what I think is Ioshilee's problem. I had similar issues with Serana attacking the arch curate and I fixed it once by opening the console, selecting serana and then using the <kill> command which rendered her passive. This allowed the the curate to run away and do his little speech thing. When I retested this it didn't work as cleanly though and the deadlock fighting between the two of them began. Instead I had to use a combination of <stopcombat> and <kill> commands on the arch curate over and over again until he had time to run away from serana. Still missed the little speech thing, but it allowed the quest to progress more normally. If you want to revive serana, she'll do it on her own, or for a speedier solution use the <resurrect 1> command (not the plan resurrect command or else you'll lose all her items!). Hope this helps.

Thanks! Missed the talk with Curate, but still the q-t is done now. And I watched the speech on YouTube anyway :)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Ok, so here we are, almost a year later, and this bug is still here. I get as far as him collapsing the ceiling, and running to the balcony, but it stops there......no dialog, no battle, nothing. I can not make any actions except "waiting". No attacks, no shouts, can't pull up a map, can't pull up a menu(except to save/load). If I do a quicksave next to the two of them staring at each other, and then a quickload repeatedly, it occasionally ets to the point where she remarks he is a vampire, but never farther. If I do the "setstage dlc1vq07 200" debug, it does end the quest and start the next one, but I am still in "no action" mode and can't even talk to anyone.

Has anyone figured this thing out yet?