Melbourne City Region

Rexhunter99

Hello all, this is my first time modding and posting for Fallout New Vegas, however been a fan of the game and the engine it uses since the day Fallout 3 came out, and once you weather the bugs, or in my case, get lucky and manage to play through at least once without huge hiccups, the game is rather solid.

I just love the Fallout universe and it's lore, while I don't wish a nuclear war upon our civilization it is really cool to experience it, even in a simulation situation.

I've always wondered what become of the other allied nations? Great Britain and Australia are tight allies with America (being heavily dependant on it for war resources such as weapons, vehicles and the likes) It would seem likely, to me, that China would have launched a 'pre-emptive' strike upon all of it's enemies, including the major allied nations, Britain being the first of them... so why not experience the post-apocalyptic wastes of one of these nations too? It's getting a little crowded in America after all what with the first two games covering a vast amount of ground and F3/FNV covering the Mojave and Washington wastes.

While I absolutely love the GECK setup and how environment spaces are constructed, I still need some practice and experience with the tool and resource kits, but otherwise I would love to begin an addon that would allow the Courier to explore the ruins of Melbourne, the most popular city in Australia, and I would love to construct resources in the Fallout 1950's esque style as well (exploring a ruined Rialto tower would be amazing)

While I have other commitments, mainly a beautiful daughter to raise and care for (and love) I would chip away at this project as much as I could... and would love any help I could get.

Suggestions, discussion are welcome here and if you have something to ask me, feel free to drop me an email if I don't respond to this topic within a few days (I may lose the topic or forget about it!) I'm best reached at [email protected] as I check it every day.

Actually, I read in a recent news article that Australia was the least likely Western nation to be targeted. The only remote reason that Australia would be targeted is the American elements that were in Australia during the Cold War, and then only those elements would be targeted, not cities.

Just my two-cents for lore.

Actually, I read in a recent news article that Australia was the least likely Western nation to be targeted. The only remote reason that Australia would be targeted is the American elements that were in Australia during the Cold War, and then only those elements would be targeted, not cities.

Just my two-cents for lore.

Australia has it's own nuclear weapons I do believe, so it's not like we are defenceless, anyway since this is a science fiction, let's discount the probability of Australia being attacked in our timeline and focus on the Fallout timeline as of 2077, technologies are vastly different and so might be the value of a nation. Australia, while a small nation, can be self sufficient, there's lots of food and water, coal mines (perhaps they were nearly depleted by the time the bombs dropped), there's plenty of opportunity for solar, wind, hydro power supplies. And it's entirely possible that Australia in Fallout's universe, like our world and time, has produced two massive carriers to bolster it's navy, making it a plausible threat when joined with another nation. (the ships that are being constructed now can house 5000+ people from a natural disaster, and can carry tanks, planes, helicopters, jeeps, troops, weapons, etc.

Well I don't plan to tackle something like this yet, I'm more interested in seeing interest from the community while I follow the vault tutorial and examine the existing official content for examples. I already have a good idea on performance balance with details. And how objects link to one another so some practice is all I need really.

Australia has it's own nuclear weapons I do believe...

Where is the evidence of this? Seriously, if Australia had the bomb we'd be a permanent member of the UN Security council and would have let the world know about our Atomic Weapons capability for years. But we don't have nukes, never have and and in all likelyhood, never will. However in a Fallout universe... well that's a different story....

For the record: Australia worked with Great Britain during the 1950's, testing BRITISH nuclear weapons at Maralinga and the Montebello Islands but never had we had sort to develop our own nuclear deterant IRL. We certainly know how to make them and could conceivably build one in a year or two if massive funding was set aside to such a program however I seriously doubt any political party would have the stones to dare try and push this through as it'd be electoral suicide.

Back to your concept - I like the idea of an Australian Themed Fallout as we have Mad Max 2 & 3 to look to for inspiration and ideas.

However poking around the ruins of a city, any city in any nation for that matter, isn't enough. You need a good story to go with it. Otherwise it's just a kill zone filled with loot which gets a bit dull after a while. Have a look at the mod Beyond Boulder Dome and you'll see what makes for a good mod based on a ruined city.

Oh btw, here is the link I posted a few days back regarding Australia's potential to be nuked:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/secrets-out-soviets-did-not-target-cities-20120805-23ny1.html

Back to your concept - I like the idea of an Australian Themed Fallout as we have Mad Max 2 & 3 to look to for inspiration and ideas.

As do I, that's why I suggested the concept for discussion!

However poking around the ruins of a city, any city in any nation for that matter, isn't enough. You need a good story to go with it. Otherwise it's just a kill zone filled with loot which gets a bit dull after a while.

No I agree completely, while I would enjoy just exploring the wastes (as I do exploring the capitol and mojave wastes) there would need to be a reason for traveling from the American wastes to another country all together, and some explaining would be required to make it plausible. I could probably make some suggestions as to quest lines and story, but I feel I would be better suited to level design (as I sometimes explore even official areas of the game and think "more could have been done here" and always think of what else could be placed in, say a Vault.)

Have a look at the mod Beyond Boulder Dome and you'll see what makes for a good mod based on a ruined city.

I saw that recently, rather impressive, needs a little more spit n polish but probably one of the most impressive region mods available, I will be trying it out sometime.

Oh btw, here is the link I posted a few days back regarding Australia's potential to be nuked:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/secrets-out-soviets-did-not-target-cities-20120805-23ny1.html

An interesting read indeed.

See after a lot of careful thought and some more exploring of the vanilla Mojave wastes, I've come to the conclusion that such a mod would need to be big, and fairly thought out. I already have some ideas as to key places to explore and include in quests, such as the City Loop, subway, Rialto Tower, Swanston street and Flinders Street station, all of these are key locations in Melbourne right now, on top of this, local native fauna would have to be introduced, such as mutated Kangaroos, Wombats, Echidnas, etc. To not only add authenticity but to produce new threats or marvels for the player to discover.

How to get there? Perhaps some sort of radio transmission gets through from Australia, maybe it's 200 years old, maybe it's new, but someone intercepts it in either the West or Eastern coasts of America, and perhaps a boat (one from Point Lookout with what's her name on it) could be on the Colorado river or something, or maybe someone has repaired a pre-war plane or is using a Vertibird, and are looking for individuals willing to assist them in finding out what the transmission is really about? Not a very definitive or interest beginning but I can't think of too many ways to travel across the ocean :P

Once there, perhaps the transmission was a request for help? Or an pre-war transmission trying to find out if anyone else survived the nuclear bombing/fallout of the great war? The player could land in the airport or on a free way (perhaps the West Gate Bridge?) or dock nearby the city (it is on the bay after all) and from there follow a trail of quests, complete some side quests and do exploration if they wish.

I haven't begun doing anything on any such ideas, I am still working on a simple Vault but finding it really easy aside from a few bugs with the NV Geck such as the inability to see the number of light passes on geometry and having to refresh the scene when working with lights of any kind, but linkinjg objects and setting up layout as well as clutter is relatively simple along with nav meshing and placement of characters, I've run through several simulations of my vault and enjoyed the content thoroughly (it's action orientated, survival horror kind of thing)

EDIT: Was just looking at how to import heightmaps, and am a bit overwhelmed that the game wants 1024x1024x16 for each of the 8x8 grid cells XD My heightmap of victoria is only 4096x2048 any finer detail takes too long to process or burns out my router.

Edited by Rexhunter99