Custom race loneliness

thedemonfox

So I finally decided to download a custom race after finding one that tickled my fancy. After five hours of gameplay I started to feel lonely....why am I the only one of my kind in this region?

SO!!! It it my question to you who use custon races...and are hopefully modders >.>

Is it possible to add a few npcs with random generic "hi I'm Dave and I like to bash things" lines to the game? Not allot but a few that wander. I don't know why but it was a bit weird to just randomly think of this lol...but yes, let's never be alone again and find a way to add random npcs of the race you chose to play!

If anyone has ideas or interest in this then feel free to reply.

In the case of most race mods, they're obscure or rare races like dwemer, who (as far as we know) went completely extinct in Morrowind, or snow elves, who (again, as far as we know) are so few in number that they will go extinct shortly. Other races like dremora, maormer, ayleid, or some random lore-unfriendly all-female race, are just too lorebreaking to justify having many (or any) in Skyrim. Ayleids and dwemer are extinct, snow elves might as well be, maormer never leave their homeland, and dremora can't exist outside Oblivion for long. Races like the Lunari don't even exist in lore at all.

There's also another restriction: The mod adding custom race NPCs would have to either copy exactly, require, or create a new custom race. The files for those races don't exist in the game without the mods, and so without those files the NPCs would... Well, I don't even really know. So you'd need to cover EVERY dremora custom race (because there aren't enough of those) and EVERY dwemer, snow elf, ayleid, maormer race for the mod to work properly for everyone. Kind of impractical.

It's certainly possible, but requires more then just a simple race mod. It sort of becomes an unofficial expansion because random NPCs of your race would require custom dialogue to acknowledge kinship between them and the player, AND custom voices that are difficult to do. Not to mention it requires scripting outside the creation kit as well.

Such a mod would require more of a "team", rather then one person. Usually a good custom race has someone who's very good at texture editing and has pretty good knowledge of NifSkope/Creation Kit to make their race interesting to look at. Adding quests, NPCs, towns, etc. is a whole new ball game, and usually requires someone else who works on scripting, house/castle building, etc.

Custom races have plenty of issues in the CK as well sadly, namely in regards to vampirism.

Some of the mods that add a new race also add followers/companions to the world using that race. So you wouldn't be the only one. And if the original mod does not do it, someone will make a companion using that race pretty quickly. But I don't see people making separate random NPCs using custom races.