Dual casting "charging time"

whismerhill

hi,

I find it difficult to find anything about this :

when you dual cast a spell can you release buttons immediately and get 100% of normal dual-cast spell effects ?

explanations:

when you start to dual-charge a spell, there is a minimum delay that if you release the buttons too soon, the spell will just abort outright

but after this minimum threshold, there is still a sound playing which sound like it's still charging the spell

so I wonder if releasing the buttons earlier will make the spell less powerful ?

thanks.

EDIT: partial answer to my own question, flame cloak does the same damage whether you hold the buttons for longer or not when dual cast (and does more damage than a single cast)

Edited by whismerhill

Perhaps you are thinking too hard, you will always get the dual-cast spell effects, you don't even have to "charged" it up.

And also to the flame cloak thing...it just lasts more longer when you dual cast it than when you single cast it.

If you release early, the spell won't go off. For max RoF, watch your Magicka Gauge, It stops going down when it's ready to fly. This goes with all spells, not just dual cast. Eventually, you'll get the timing, and should be able to stun-luck 2-3 mobs at once. Also practice half stacking, to fire one as the other charges for rapind fire. This doesn't stagger, but throws a lot more damage, faster, and for less Magicka. (Unless you're running the 100% free Destruction Enchantments. Even then, it's still faster.) Dual Casting doesn't affect the damage from Runes, Cloaks, or Wall spells, nor do they stagger. Also, Shockwall seems to interrupt Impact, so it doesn't work at all.

Impact is just 1 of the many tactics availible. It's effective, but Magicka inefficient, and lowers your damage dealing. Learn all of them. Mages are supposed to be Intelligent, not dumbed down to a 1 trick pony. If you know what to use, when, it's more powerful than anything other than a maxed out Warcrafter.

Edited by Psiberzerker

thanks for the replies guys

it's strange that you say that dual casting doesn't change the damage of cloaks, because when I watch magic effects on me, it states more damage ....

I guess I got some mod that changes that but I can't seem to remember any mod stating such an effect

it's strange that you say that dual casting doesn't change the damage of cloaks, because when I watch magic effects on me, it states more damage. I guess I got some mod that changes that but I can't seem to remember any mod stating such an effect.

Huh, I never noticed that, but then, I'm not in the habit of Dual casting them (Or much of anything, because I need all that Magicka, and Impact dumbs down Mages.) because I'd rather have a Bolt out to keep dealing damage while they close, or I've already switched to a hand weapon when I cast it. If you're subscribed to Steam Mods, they can make changes that they don't necessarilly mention at any time. (I'm not sure about Nexus, too.) It's likely if you have any geared toward closing the damage gap between Destruction, and Weapons.

Edited by Psiberzerker

it's strange that you say that dual casting doesn't change the damage of cloaks, because when I watch magic effects on me, it states more damage. I guess I got some mod that changes that but I can't seem to remember any mod stating such an effect.

Huh, I never noticed that, but then, I'm not in the habit of Dual casting them (Or much of anything, because I need all that Magicka, and Impact dumbs down Mages.) because I'd rather have a Bolt out to keep dealing damage while they close, or I've already switched to a hand weapon when I cast it. If you're subscribed to Steam Mods, they can make changes that they don't necessarilly mention at any time. (I'm not sure about Nexus, too.) It's likely if you have any geared toward closing the damage gap between Destruction, and Weapons.

I'll look into it however even with base damage I find cloaks quite nice (especially dual cast as the range is doubled)

once it's cast, you can forget about it and it adds damage to your foes (along with the usual stamina or magicka drain), useful in higher difficulties, more so with several opponents at once

also, it never hits friendlies, so that's nice too...

edit: ok so I did a clean save game without mods and alright cloaks' damage don't increase when dualcast

then I added to this clean savegame (without saving) all mods one by one, and damage didn't increase when dualcast

so what this means is that some unknown effect inside my savegames (not the clean ones) actually doubles my dualcasting cloak damage

strange...

Edited by whismerhill

I'll look into it however even with base damage I find cloaks quite nice (especially dual cast as the range is doubled)

once it's cast, you can forget about it and it adds damage to your foes (along with the usual stamina or magicka drain), useful in higher difficulties, more so with several opponents at once also, it never hits friendlies, so that's nice too...

edit: ok so I did a clean save game without mods and alright cloaks' damage don't increase when dualcast

then I added to this clean savegame (without saving) all mods one by one, and damage didn't increase when dualcast

so what this means is that some unknown effect inside my savegames (not the clean ones) actually doubles my dualcasting cloak damage

strange...

Yeah, it also lasts longer for extended fights, but I mostly play mages that Avoid the melee, so it's pretty much a backup. Either that, or like a Spellsword, or Shieldmage combo, which don't dual cast so I don't have to juggle as much. (Not to mention, I play those hybrids so I've got more than Flame Cloak in the melee.) The Discriminate Damage effect is one of the best things about Cloaks, and Wall spells. Anything else in Destruction, you have to worry about your followers (or if a conjurer, Zombies/ Summons.) Edited by Psiberzerker