What do you think of Skyrim?

Javalin

29 members have voted

1. 1. What was Skyrim's main story? Which Story is more likely to make an expansion

• The Return of Dragons
    • The Skyrim Civil War (The Empire vs Stormcloaks)
    • Mixed (The Lazy Answer)

Then is up to the Dragonborn to destroy his body again.

MAJOR SPOILER

Your character is the last Dragonborn.

MAJOR SPOILER!

Its hinted that you are not.

SPOILER

Yes, he is the last Dragonborn, but only in this generation. There will be more Dragonborns, but no one knows when it will be born the next. Maybe when Alduin return and our world end(the world of the game), maybe there will be no more Dragonborns. No one knows.(only Bethesta :tongue: )

I personally believe that the Dragon Story has ended, at least for Skyrim - Bringing an expansion about more dragons wouldn't make the game feel different. I think the best course of action, would to be make it about the aftermath of the civil war. Since for some time, the imperials and stormcloaks were more interested in killing each other, than the dragons. TES games haven't really been that immersive since Morrowind.

Morrowind had a lot of factions guilds.

Tribunal Temple - Almalexia, Vivec and Sotha Sil. With MANY cool quests

Imperial Temple - The Divines.. Can't remember what they were called in the game, but a lot of very cool quests too

Morag Tong - The "Righteous" Assassins Guild

Dunmer Houses - Redoran, Hlaalu and Telvanni (Choose 1)

Imperial Legion - Had quite a few good things here, and interesting quests.

Vampire Clans - As part of another faction. There was no hiding that you were a vampire from the non-vampire npcs though.. They just would kill you or not speak to you.

Thieves Guild - You actually felt like a thief.

Fighters Guild -

Mages Guild -

East Empire Company or whatever they're called (In Bloodmoon)

A questline to build your own house.. There were a HUUUUUUUGE variety of things to do in Morrowind; bulked up even more by mods. Now imagine what having all those in Skyrim could do for immersion The game would be insanely better tbh..

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've got mixed feelings for Skyrim.

When it was released, I was foolish enough to buy Skyrim for the PS3 in an euphoria, and I was ready to kill some dragons. But soon, there were things bugging me, destroying the immersion. You've all probably experienced the normal bugs Bethesda games always have. I'm not talking about them. It were details which just didn't feel right. The sounds your weapons make when penetrating your foe's bodies just don't feel heavy enough. Everyone seems to have this urge to talk to you about his life, and no one seems to give a flying sacred f**** about you being a Dragonborn. Even in Daedric Armor, brats like Braith still insult you like an old, alcoholic beggar.

Then, there's the loot. I loved dungeon crawling in Oblivion, mostly because there was a chance to find really good magical gear, while in Skyrim, you mostly find things like an "iron cuirass of minor illusion". Even unique items are easily outpowered by crafted gear.

But what bugs me most is the tension of the Quests. At the End of the Dawnguard quest

you kill one of the last snow elves, get the aureal bow and kill the evil Vampire overlord.

The first battle I'm talking about is really, I mean REALLY epic and you expect an ultra uber awesome final battle, but the game's just like: Woah, chill bro, just kill this bro, and we good.

I expected an awesome ending with a party which only Pinkie Pie could have organised, but no, again, nobody gives a Flying vampiristic gargoyle dump about how you saved the world. Again.

From eternal Darkness. And Vampires. And Falmer.

Okay, everyone under the age of 18 don't read what's below the next spoiler.

It's like having Sex with your girlfriend, and just before the orgasm, she jumps up and runs away.

That's the feeling Skyrim gives me again and again. (Sort of, not that I'm actually sexually turned on by a game)

Every time I have this awesome feeling that something truly epic is coming up, Skyrim just disappoints me.

So, Yeah. I hope my post is not a illegible Wall of Text, and in hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have bought this game for PS3.

Well I'd say the return of the dragons is by far the main story, but the threat of the Aldmeri Dominion is more likely to be fleshed out in an expansion. For the most part the Dragon conflict was resolved with the main quest, I really don't see how or even why they would continue it. As for what I think of Skyrim as a whole, I guess over all the word "disappointment" sums up my feelings best. Visually the game is obviously an improvement compared to older Bethesda games but that's really it when it comes down to real improvements. Everything else is a mixed bag. In a lot of ways, for every step forward Skyrim makes it also takes a step back elsewhere. Take for example smithing. Sure it's cool that we can work a forge now, but to get rid of the weapon/armor condition mechanic entirely was unnecessary. Same goes for getting rid of the spell creation altar that was featured in Oblivion.

The other thing that irks me are the architectural model designs in Skyrim. Bethesda must have known they were going to release their development tools, so they should have taken greater pains to make fully 3D models. For instance, if you wanted to make a castle out of Solitude models right now you'd be SOL for the most part. Much of the city's fortifications are stuck in large unwieldy pieces, making it virtually impossible to use them elsewhere. Then you have to take into consideration that some of the models may not even have a back or rear side leaving the interior of the model exposed. Some models also don't even have Collision either.

Turning our attention elsewhere, the story and quests are largely inferior to Oblivion. All of the quest lines featured in Skyrim are pretty short, barely enough to even whet your appetite. Take for example the College of Winterhold, a quest line you could probably finish in little under two hours. I doubt you'd even have to rush to pull that off either. In stark contrast, Oblivion's Mage's Guild required you to do quests for EACH CITY....and that was BEFORE you got to the University itself. You can see the same disparity in content when you compare the Companions to the Fighter's Guild as well.

Modders have greatly improved the stock vanilla Skyrim though, and it is largely thanks to them that I'm still enjoying Skyrim today.

Edited by Kraeten