No Menu Text When Starting Oblivion With OBSE

blitzen

When I start Oblivion using the OBSE loader, the game starts up, but the initial menu (Continue, New, Load...) never appears. The appropriate background image and music appear just as they should, but the text for the menu list never appears. Very strange. Anybody have any idea what might cause this? I just installed Oblivion yesterday, and installed FCOM today. The game itself seem to be working well yesterday, but I wasn't using OBSE at that point.

I figured it out, at least partially. It has something to do with using OBGE and using antialiasing while using OBSE, or something like that. Uninstalling OBGE caused the starting menu to reappear. That's an odd little mod conflict. Does anyone know a way to use antialiasing, OBGE, and OBSE?

Well, for one, OBGE requires OBSE, as it's mainly a DLL plugin for OBSE.

For two, the menu text to disappear when using OBGE is a common issue pretty well discussed in the respective OBGE topics. From what I can recall OBGE doesn't play nice with Anti Aliasing enabled in the game. You can, however, force AA through your graphics card drivers even when it's turned off ingame.

Thanks. That seems to work. I'm still messing with the settings in the nvidia app to see if I notice any performance issues or artifacts.

I was told forced AA was only functional for ATI users. I was using the MLAA and it looked very good, though. At least, before my games stopped working anyway. THat shader has to be put in the shaderlist by hand, don't mess with that dumb inventory menu thing except to play with it ingame. Ultimately you probably want water, godrays, MLAA, & DOF/SSAO/color/sharpen/whatever.