Fallout 3 crashes when saving or near Rivet City.

charatone

Up until recently I haven't had many issues with Fallout crashing but all of a sudden, with no change in my mods, it has begun to crash to desktop. I noticed this when casm tries to save and if I manually try to save. My game also crashes when I approach Rivet City or when I quick travel to there. I have also tried cleaning up my save by waiting three days in an interior cell then killing myself but the game hangs, it doesn't crash to desktop but the music continues but I'm stuck watching my dead character. I have no real solution for this but when I had issues with saves crashing from a previous time, I disabled casm and for a while that seemed to help. But I tried using it again and until now it's been okay.

Computer specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250

RAM: 2.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group N61PB-M2S (Socket AM2 )

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 Series

Load Order:

[X] Fallout3.esm

[X] Anchorage.esm

[X] ThePitt.esm

[X] BrokenSteel.esm

[X] PointLookout.esm

[X] Zeta.esm

[X] Lings.esm

[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm

[X] LingsDLC.esm

[X] CRAFT.esm

[X] CALIBR.esm

[X] xCALIBR.esm

[X] Vault 101 Revisited.esm

[X] Mothership Crew.esm

[X] EVE.esm

[X] Apocalypse Armory.esm

[X] FOOK2 - Main.ESM

[X] FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.ESM

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod.esm

[X] Companion Core.esm

[X] DCInteriors_ComboEdition.esm

[X] ImaginatorFO3.esp

[X] CINEMATECH.esm

[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Operation Anchorage.esp

[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - The Pitt.esp

[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp

[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Point Lookout.esp

[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Mothership Zeta.esp

[X] DarNifiedUIF3.esp

[X] CASM.esp

[X] CRAFT - Activation Perk.esp

[X] UPP - Pack 1.esp

[X] UPP - Pack 2.esp

[X] UPP - Original Perks.esp

[X] UPP - Experience Perks.esp

[X] UPP - Quest Perks.esp

[X] UPP - Beverage Perks.esp

[X] BlackWolf Backpack.esp

[X] BlackWolf Backpack - Vendor Script Replenish.esp

[X] BlackWolf Backpack - Blank's Container Patch.esp

[X] DCInteriors_DLC_Collectables.esp

[X] MiniHideout.esp

[X] Megaton House and Theme Overhaul.esp

[X] UndergroundHideout.esp

[X] FOOK2 - Main.esp

[X] FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.esp

[X] Apocalypse Armory.esp

[X] Apocalypse Armory - CRAFTing.esp

[X] Apocalypse Armory - CALIBR.esp

[X] Apocalypse Armory - xCALIBR.esp

[X] Apocalypse Armory - DLC Enhancements.esp

[X] Apocalypse Armory - Optional Historical Names.esp

[X] Tailor Maid.esp

[X] Tailor Maid Anchorage.esp

[X] Tailor Maid PITT.esp

[X] Tailor Maid Brokensteel.esp

[X] Tailor Maid ZETA.esp

[X] WeaponModKits.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - FOOK.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - OperationAnchorage.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - ThePitt.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - BrokenSteel.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - PointLookout.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - Zeta.esp

[X] Apocalypse Armory + WMK.esp

[X] AsharasLightningItems.esp

[X] FaithOutfit.esp

[X] JillBSAA.esp

[X] Lookout Outfits.esp

[X] Luka.esp

[X] Mantis07Reflex.esp

[X] NEVECv1.esp

[X] Companion Core DLC Addon.esp

[X] EVE.esp

[X] EVE Operation Anchorage.esp

[X] Apocalypse Armory + EVE.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Natural Selection.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Master Menu Module.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK2.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK2 - DIK.esp

[X] xCALIBRammo_override.esp

[X] armored101.esp

[X] H&K PSG-1 Sniper Rifles.esp

[X] DYNAVISION - Dynamic Lens Effect.esp

[X] Directors Chair - Fallout 3.esp

Thank you for reading and I hope I can find out what's wrong!

My game also crashes when I approach Rivet City or when I quick travel to there.

Considering you have the unofficial Fo3 Patch, did you apply the rivet city area fix by Prensa?

If not, see spoiler:

Hello!

The Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch has got a bit of a bad reputation for CTD issues.

That's a real shame as the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch has an absolutely massive amount of great fixes in it.

From game settings, meshes & textures this package really fixes a lot of stuff that no one else has touched.

Because of all these great fixes I recently decided to try the patches again with the new character I started & see if I could figure out what the trouble was.

Now, the CTD issues around Rivet City seem to be the cause of the bad reputation this has got.

It has long been known that the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp is the culprit.

There is a modified version of the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp out there, I tried it & it worked to some extent.

However, after meeting Pinkerton in the Broken Bow section of Rivet City I got CTDs in the area when trying to save & when exiting Rivet City (triggered by the Autosave that happens when exiting).

& it did not work at all for my older character.

That little area across from Project Purity, where you can view the water pouring into the reservoir seemed to be a particularly bad spot for CTDs on saving.

So It seemed the fixed version of Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp out there was still missing something.

After a bit of trial & error I came up with this fix, I've been using it for quite a while now & no Rivet City CTD problems.

I use all the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patches & everything has been stable since applying this fix.

I hope it can help others & allow the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch to be seen as the great work that it is.

You may also want to check my posting in this section about installing the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch manually too.

____UF3P - Broken Steel.esp Rivet City area CTD fix_____

Requires FO3 Edit:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=637

With Broken Steel.esm & Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp in your load order, run FO3 Edit.

FO3 Edit will present you with a list of your mods, click OK & wait for them to load.

Find the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp & expand it's details by clicking on the + next to it.

Go to "Cell" & keep expanding like this:

Cell

Block 9

Sub-Block 1

000760DA3 zDCint08b

Temporary

Under "Temporary" you will see 4 "Placed Object" headings, they should be showing up red.

Left click on the top "Placed Object" & it's details will show up on the right.

Note that all mods making changes to this info will also show up, you will see columns for Fallout 3, Broken Steel & Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp.

It's the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp column we want to modify.

Note that Broken Steel has two "Deleted" in it's column, drag those with the left mouse button into the exact same place in the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp column.

FO3 Edit will warn you about making changes, click yes.

Do the same for the other 3 "Placed Object" headings.

Now go back to Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp in the left hand side of FO3Edit.

Go to "Worldspace" & keep expanding like this:

Worldspace

000003c Wasteland

00002DB4 Cell

Persistent

Under "Persistent" you will see one "Placed Object" amongst the other headings, it should be showing up red.

Left click on "Placed Object" & it's details will show up on the right.

Once again it's the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp column we want to modify.

Note that Broken Steel has "Deleted, Quest item...." in it's column, drag that with the left mouse button into the exact same place in the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp column.

Close FO3 Edit, it will ask if you want to save the changes to Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp, click OK.

(If anything else is listed in that box, untick it before clicking ok)

All done!

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Load order:

[X] DCInteriors_ComboEdition.esm

[X] ImaginatorFO3.esp

[X] CINEMATECH.esm

What's not right about this part of your load order?

Master files (.esm files) always load above all plugin files (.esp files).

I also don't see a merged patch/bashes patch at the bottom of your load order. Making a merged patch/bashed patch is as good as essential when using mods like MMM and FOOK2 together.

No FOOK2 hotfixes, EVE is integrated in FOOK2, those FOIP patches for MMM/FOOK2 are not for that version of MMM, and WMK with the DLC plugins requires a merged patch. As for crashing...the UF3P issue already noted and my personal experience with MMM is that I crash less if young creatures and size scaling is disabled.

BlackRampage, thanks for that "spoiler". There is a section there I am very unsure about:

"Now go back to Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp in the left hand side of FO3Edit.

Worldspace

000003c Wasteland

00002DB4 Cell

Persistent

Under "Persistent" you will see one "Placed Object" amongst the other headings, it should be showing up red.

Once again it's the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp column we want to modify."

Under 'Persistent', I get 14 'Placed NPCs' and one 'Placed Creature' in red, plus a 'TempGoToRivetCity' file. No 'Placed Object' file as such. I know NPCs and Creatures can be Placed Objects, but do all of these get the above treatment, or none, or what?

EDIT: After some thought, finally decided to go ahead and do the lot in the above section. Since I (naturally!) have back-ups of all the files being messed with, figured that the worst thing that can happen is that the game crashes horribly and I have to do some copy'n'paste to restore things to how they were.

Not exactly the first time THAT has happened, certainly. ;) We'll see, I guess.

Edited by 7thsealord

Under 'Persistent', I get 14 'Placed NPCs' and one 'Placed Creature' in red, plus a 'TempGoToRivetCity' file. No 'Placed Object' file as such. I know NPCs and Creatures can be Placed Objects, but do all of these get the above treatment, or none, or what?

Could be other mods placing objects around there. Remember: Only look at what's under the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp plugin in the right hand side.

Or, even better: Try only loading the following plugins in Fo3Edit:

Fallout3.esm

BrokenSteel.esm

Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm

Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp

OK, reasonably certain I've now done the above fix as per instructions (after undoing previous changes).

However, now when I try to approach the Jefferson Memorial, the picture keeps breaking down into a jagged-edged mess (HUD and sound both remain normal). This mess varies depending on which direction I face and, in some directions, the picture might even seem clear. Hadn't happened before.

At this stage, I'll probably return to original settings - at least until I can get a clue what I'm doing wrong.

Edited by 7thsealord

• 3 months later...

As much as I followed everything to the letter, i got the IDENTICAL issue as 7thsealord, 14 placed npcs etc, no fifth object to change.

After about an hour of fiddling, (thank GOD it was an exact location that was crashing, very easy to test) I just disabled the Unofficial patch for Broken Steel and kept the rest of the UP, seems to work fine :D

I'm satisfied. Thank you for the in-depth tutorial, BlackRampage. Even if it didn't fix the issue, you helped me pin down the EXACT mod causing crashes near Riften, I had no idea that was as unrelated a mod as the unofficial patch. Cheers!

Edited by AlturDrake

• 9 months later...

Worldspace

000003c Wasteland

00002DB4 Cell

Persistent

Once again it's the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp column we want to modify.

Note that Broken Steel has "Deleted, Quest item...." in it's column, drag that with the left mouse button into the exact same place in the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp column.

Close FO3 Edit, it will ask if you want to save the changes to Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp, click OK.

000003c Wasteland can't be expanded. World children have a similar three, but there's only NPCs, a creature and a place there to edit.

What to do?

Edited by BareJag