Replace Skyrim's Combat with Oblivion's

arshan272

JanusForbeare is right, what's needed is precise descriptions of behaviour. I'll fire up both games tonight and see if I can pin point what the differences are that make the difference.

After doing a google search a lot of people seem to find Skyrims combat to be more visceral than Oblivions so our perception is hardly universal. Have you tried Duke Patricks combat mod? My impression is that it attempts to bring this feel to the game, I'm not using it as Better Vampires conflicts with it, using Duel instead.

Physics can be changed, after all we have the Realistic Force mod. A very high quality combat sound replacer would help with things too.

I have a realistic force mod, and have already tried Duke Patrick's combat overhaul, but thank you for the recommendations. Unfortunately (in my opinion), they did very little, even when working in conjunction.

Edited by arshan272

Well, fired up Oblivion last night (I'd forgotten how dayglo it all looks!) and yes it's as I remembered, you really do feel those blows. But it's very hard to describe exactly why, in a way it feels slow and clunky compared to Skyrim - which is probably more realistic. That feeling of weight, obviously it's only being conveyed by sound and vision, maybe swings are slower and the characters don't react quite as fast (Skryims combat is so damned fast). I was right about the combat sounds, they're much louder and feel closer, Skyrim's sound very muted somehow, less harshly metallic. Just tried out the Better Combat Sounds mod and that helps somewhat.

From reading the readmes in the Duke Patrick mod, the prospects of improving the combat system anymore are somewhat limited due to scripting issues.

Edited by Shoestring6

Well, fired up Oblivion last night (I'd forgotten how dayglo it all looks!) and yes it's as I remembered, you really do feel those blows. But it's very hard to describe exactly why, in a way it feels slow and clunky compared to Skyrim - which is probably more realistic. That feeling of weight, obviously it's only being conveyed by sound and vision, maybe swings are slower and the characters don't react quite as fast (Skryims combat is so damned fast). I was right about the combat sounds, they're much louder and feel closer, Skyrim's sound very muted somehow, less harshly metallic. Just tried out the Better Combat Sounds mod and that helps somewhat.

From reading the readmes in the Duke Patrick mod, the prospects of improving the combat system anymore are somewhat limited due to scripting issues.

I suppose you're right. I said it would be a tall order, I also said that it was probably impossible, I only hope that someone can fire up script dragon and SKSE and figure it out (because that's probably the only way it'll happen). However I have some small hope, because before the CK, people used oblivion's game files as an example to mod Skyrim, and they were pretty successful.