Smaller PC bounding box

ReverendFelix

Like the title says. I made a custom Fae Spriggan race that flies and is as small as the CSE will let me make it. The problem is that the bounding box doesn't reflect the races diminutive stature. For example, when flying through a doorway I have to be almost on the ground. It's annoying and immersion breaking. Any advice? Edited by ReverendFelix

At the individual NPC (so refID) level I've noticed that when using setscale in the console (or altering size using the CS) the NPCs interact with furniture differently, especially noticeable when setting the scale smaller (they then sink into the bed a little). I've never used any extremes for scale.

Have you tried a bit larger than the extreme smallest size allowed by the CS? I've found that often the game doesn't respond well to the extreme limits on various sliders.

The bounding box is part of the skeleton, which is the same for all playable races basically.

Could I theoretically change it with nifskcope. Then I could have an altered skeleton to use just for this race.

@Striker879;

As for not using extreme limits, I haven't tried it not maxed. I first noticed it when using a Patrick's giantism and shrink spell mod. That's what gave me the idea for the race. And yeah this race clips badly with furniture. But I don't use it much so no biggie. I'm really just tired of banging my invisible upper self on everything... The bounding box doesn't seem to be changed at all from standard.

Edited by ReverendFelix

No, you couldn't. The playable races are bound to 1 (2, actually, as there's also a beast version, but it's not decipherable what defines when this is used instead) skeleton shared by all only. You cannot assign different skeletons on race basis, only per NPC, thus not the player.

There are means to script it, switching the player skeleton used on the fly, but it's nothing trivial and not a perfected solution either.

What I was talking of initially is every race record has a different size attribute, one for each gender even. "1.0" is default, but most races use a little higher or smaller value. Have you tried setting the one for your race and both genders to very low in your plugin?

Don't know how you made your fae race as small as it is right now already though. Could be it'll be a huge factor smaller even then.

1...You cannot assign different skeletons on race basis, only per NPC, thus not the player.

Â

Â

2...Don't know how you made your fae race as small as it is right now already though. Could be it'll be a huge factor smaller even then.

Point 1;

What you said there isn't true. The Player character is an npc. I switch out animations using the "player" npc all the time. So could I not assign a differnt skeleton. Just like any khajiit or argonian npc's get the beast skeleton assigned.

Point 2;

I just set the size of race to. 3 in the cse for height and weight. It got set to .5 due to the hard coding. My pc is about mid thigh in comparison to a 1.0 npc.

Well, yeah, you can edit Bendu Olu to have a different skeleton, kinda like ancient mods as Mayu's Animation Overhaul (MAO) were the first to make animation replacements player-only. But then you'd pretty much be unable to play another race, as long as your plugin is still active. This isn't exactly the design principles for a "custom race" mod. But if you can live with this, you can try.

And even when the race's size says "0.5", the bounding box still isn't half the size? Then did you try a size of "1.0" but using "SetScale 0.5" in console in game? If both don't affect the bounding box though, they really messed this up.

And I think the player sinking into the bed some with smaller scales is less to do with the bounding box but more the animation. The origin of everything is always down at your feet. Most animations do not only contain rotations for the bones but also their positions and size. (It's like Vanilla animators simply used "insert keyframe <Loc Rot Scale>" on every frame by default.) So lowering the actor's scale then scales down the bone positions relatively in the animations closer down to the origin = ground. Sitting and walking animations often also "float" by a minimal amount. These will be brought lower to the ground then, too, and make you/your feet sink in.

I tried the skeleton resize experiment. It both worked and didn't work. The game didn't crash, but the size was unaffected. Meaning, not even smaller but standard 1.0. It was worth a try... It seems that nasty ol' hard coding kicked in. I have tried setscale and such but the bounding box never seems to change. I guess I'll have to track down the script that affects size. Hopefully it changes the bounding box accordingly. I was hoping for a better method.

Supposedly this mod contains the needed script.

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/34953

However I examined it in tes4edit and couldn't identify a script that would break the size barrier. It came with a file called RaceFrameWork.esm that seems really over the top for what I'm trying to do. I couldn't find a script in that one to do it either. Anyone know anything about this?