Games for Windows – LIVE

Skotte

Having heard a few of the games I'm looking forward to are GFWL titles I decided to Google it & I found this page > http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Live/.../AboutLive.aspx .

Towards the bottom I see...

Note: Games for Windows – LIVE requires a broadband internet connection.

As a Dial-upper does this mean I wont have the bandwidth to play a GFWL Single-player game I may pickup @ Wal-mart? IE is signing up for GFWL optional or Mandatory for LIVE based games?

I have a few Live games. They are not completely dependent on your connection unless you actually use the online features or try to get achievements. For a couple of my games I have even found that there are Trainers that can disable the Live connection. Where you may run into problems is with games like Halo or Unreal that are constantly being updated with new maps or games made by Valve which require you to be connected to Steams as long as the game is playing.

Short of building, funding and operating their own ISP, moving with the times may not be an option. Most people who do not have broadband are not suffering by choice. I know it is extremely hard to believe, but there are still a lot of areas where DSL / Cable are just not yet available. And for the average person, especially non-adults, satellite alternatives are both way too expensive and way too restricting in terms of gaming.

Moment of truth, is it is not available everywhere.....I have dsl, my neighbot 1200 feet away does not as his line does not qualify. Out of range by that much, yes it is that restrictive. You can violate any law but ohm's law, you cannot change the dynamics of a path's legnth/resistance/capacitance/loss and noise margins......once out of allowable tolerances it no longer is viable.

The company I work for Qwest Communications is the only provider in this area....no other facility based alternatives are available, no cable tv either. Satellite is quite spendy,75.00 a month 400.00 for the equipment and another 150.00 for installation. Broadband wireless, just the card for my laptop costs 125.00 and 79.00 a month for service, so the cost is prohibitive for many, dial up is the only affordable option for many, I have only had dsl for about 6 months now.

As for gaming on satellite, with a latency of 850 to 950ms you are behind by almost a second from anyone else, so not a viable option for mmo's or on line gaming. Wireless Broadband also suffers from high latency issues if you are in a fringe area of service like me. Living in rural minnesota, the area I work in only has 25% dsl coverage, to put that in a little perspective my normal work area is 3500 square miles so about 2800 of those don't have ability for high speed access except satellite and wireless broadband.

I am assuming you are in europe where the communications is run by the government, in the good old USA, it is private enterprise all the way......so everything is driven by the bottom line. If it isn't cost effective, don't hold your breath.

OOPs sorry Michlo I was judging from your writing style and use of words, you used to live in England, now of California.....but it is still hard in the rural areas to get high speed, I waiting for 4 years and had to do some creative work to qualify my own line.

just an insiders view of things.

Buddah

Moment of truth, is it is not available everywhere.....I have dsl, my neighbot 1200 feet away does not as his line does not qualify. Out of range by that much, yes it is that restrictive. You can violate any law but ohm's law, you cannot change the dynamics of a path's legnth/resistance/capacitance/loss and noise margins......once out of allowable tolerances it no longer is viable.

The company I work for Qwest Communications is the only provider in this area....no other facility based alternatives are available, no cable tv either. Satellite is quite spendy,75.00 a month 400.00 for the equipment and another 150.00 for installation. Broadband wireless, just the card for my laptop costs 125.00 and 79.00 a month for service, so the cost is prohibitive for many, dial up is the only affordable option for many, I have only had dsl for about 6 months now.

As for gaming on satellite, with a latency of 850 to 950ms you are behind by almost a second from anyone else, so not a viable option for mmo's or on line gaming. Wireless Broadband also suffers from high latency issues if you are in a fringe area of service like me. Living in rural minnesota, the area I work in only has 25% dsl coverage, to put that in a little perspective my normal work area is 3500 square miles so about 2800 of those don't have ability for high speed access except satellite and wireless broadband.

I am assuming you are in europe where the communications is run by the government, in the good old USA, it is private enterprise all the way......so everything is driven by the bottom line. If it isn't cost effective, don't hold your breath.

OOPs sorry Michlo I was judging from your writing style and use of words, you used to live in England, now of California.....but it is still hard in the rural areas to get high speed, I waiting for 4 years and had to do some creative work to qualify my own line.

just an insiders view of things.

Buddah

Hmm, thanks for that, mate. Aye, I did think the situation was finally better and that even satellite would be better than dial-up.

My home country, England, is pushing to have fibre all over in the next few years. I hope the US catches up soon.

Cheers.

Thanks go to WoogieMonster & buddah, Yeah I live out in the country & on a limited budget.

To tell the truth I am not really interested in "LIVE" as a service, heck I don't want achievements, much less made public.

I just wouldn't want to drop a bundle to get a game - say Fallout3. install it, Have it tell me I need live to play & have LIVE tell me to get a "real" connection. I'd be stuck with a game I couldn't use or take back to WallyWorld AKA Wal-mart.

Thanks go to WoogieMonster & buddah, Yeah I live out in the country & on a limited budget.

To tell the truth I am not really interested in "LIVE" as a service, heck I don't want achievements, much less made public.

I just wouldn't want to drop a bundle to get a game - say Fallout3. install it, Have it tell me I need live to play & have LIVE tell me to get a "real" connection. I'd be stuck with a game I couldn't use or take back to WallyWorld AKA Wal-mart.

Aye, that would not be good and it does sometimes appear that the developers aren't (perhaps like myself) realizing that there are still many without access to broadband.

At least you're still able to browse the web on your dial-up so that you can hopefully find this out before your purchase, however. :)

Cheers.

Archived