Is there a start-from-zero tutorial about writing shaders?

zdswulyx2

I have a simple (hope so at least) idea for a mod. Basically a screen color change when Health, Fatigue, or Magicka are low.

Here is the idea:

Health:

100% - 70% no change.

70% - 0% the screen become more and more reddish starting from the borders. Just over 0% only the center of the screen is still normal.

Fatigue:

100%-70% no change.

70% - 0% a more and more frequent disturbance blink near the borders. At 70% the blinking is 60 BPM and very near the border, at 0% the blinking is about 180 BPM and reaches about 1/4 of screen.

Magika:

100% - 70% no change (surprise!).

70% - 0% the vision becomes more and more desaturated. At 0% the character sees almost in black-and-white.

I do not claim those ideas are original, but as far as I know it has not been implemented. By all means, point me to an existing mod if it is not the case.

Otherwise, I would like to see if it is possible to do it. Any pointer? I have a bit of modding experience and I am a capable programmer.

Realistic Fatigue and Realistic Health have nice shaders indeed. But they do much more than showing the current health, fatigue, and magicka. My idea was just about showing the current status without the need of the bars.

Yes ... I meant to use them as a sort of "tutorial" for your own mod.

Edited by Striker879

I hope I am missing something. Usually as reference I use elderscroll com or the obse website[1], but the Realistic Health has undocumented functions in the very first block: removefullscreenshader shader where shader is a variable of type long initialized with LoadShader "RealisticHealth.fx"

LoadShader is another (apparently) undocumented function and similarly, as far as I can see, the format of the .fx file is also undocumented. The only way to proceed is indeed to reverse engineer?

[1]

https://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php?title=List_of_Functions

https://obse.silverlock.org/obse_command_doc.html