Crafting Station Problem

Doodle1337

When I use any sort of crafting station (smelter, work bench, grind stone, enchanter, alchemist table, etc) it automatically prompts me to exit it as if I was spamming the exit button. I have tried numerous methods including re-installing the game (keeping the saves), re-starting the game, and even according to http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Bugs tried interrupting npcs using a work station, swapping gear, sheathing unsheathing, you name it.

It only affects certain saves, but my last save before was unfortunately 7 hours ago I was simply too absorbed to do anything but quick save. I have yet to see anyone report this on official forums or other message boards, and only saw similarities from the uesp bug list, and I am not even sure it is the same thing.

What I do see is a lot of similar bugs but people simply cannot initiate the the menu and is stuck. I know that one is fixed by using a console command, like .tai or .mai or .ai I FORGOT T_T it was a google result. I tried it and I realized it disables animations completely which was probably their problem, and by doing that twice they essentially 'refresh' their enabling of animations for everything.

However my problem is different. I get into the menu of the crafting station. I see my character in the back ground grinding the blade, hammering away, etc etc for a brief moment. Then it acts as if I chose to exit and there's no way I can stop it.

Please help :[

I never heard of this one and likely most others have not either.

Lets try to narrow down your problem.

1) Do you have mods installed

2) If yes

Do you have everything and I mean the game, SKSE, ScriptDragon, each mod up to date.

Now the 1st 3 are easy but the last one is a Beeeoootch

First look at do you have

FNIS

KILLMOVES MOD <---there are several and only 1 of them is current with 1.7.7

If you have FNIS

Did you try Generating updates for animations

If you have anything other than Dance of Death for Killmoves then you likely have other animation problems too becuase they are out of date with 1.7.7

Now to crafting...

There are crafting overhauls out there none of which I use and my question is are they up to date yes or no and does the author have a file for 1.7.7 if not then remove it from your mods list for future plays.

Now the big problem

If you remove mods from your game your borking your saves most likely.

If you update stuff mid play your borking your saves most likely.

If Skyrim updates itself mid game your borking your whole game.

In short best solution is roll back to pre 1.7.7 under these conditions

You came back to Skyrim after being away.

See you came back

2nd best solution

You came back to skyrim thinking Oh Man I cant Wait to Play with some New MODS!!!

Guess what your not going to like this but uh most of the scripting mods that work only with 1.7.7 are best used with a game and a >SAVE< that are all 1.7.7 up to date.

This means you have to go through your whole list of mods and update all of them and any that are not up to date get removed. You WILL REMOVE FAVORITE MODS....Sorry but its true not every author spends his her life into modding. I don't care how much you like that mod you need to say goodbye so you can play.

SAVE GAMES oh man I want to play my uber licious axe babe

>.< sorry but she exsist in pre 1.7.7 enviroment and she might not make the transition to current game. You might have to say good bye.

If your game, saves, and mods are all 1.7.7

You have a mod that you've downloaded that is in conflict in some way and you need to find that mod once you've found it remove it and time travel back to a previous Uber Axe Weilding Babe file and play from there.

Did you download Wyre Bash and BOSS

Do you have BOSS sort it first then correct the order like it says in the readme 1st page of mod page.

Did you make a Bash patch.

Before I continue I would like to thank you for replying gamefever.

I downloaded BOSS before, but I believe I told my zone alarm to deny internet access to it, and it never worked. Re-downloading didn't help either.

I don't use anything that uses SKSE or Script Dragon.

I am still using 1.6 because I am waiting for dawnguard to go on sale on steam, and I have heard 1.7 has a lot of problems and find 1.6 reasonable stable and compatible with the mods (I ask in comments usually for each file I want to try out)

I always update FNIS generating thingy.

I do not have crafting overhaul.

Again, the key main points I have are that:

1. I've experienced this before with another save

2. I've also 'fixed' it on the older save via the methods I've described trying and is written on UESP

3. I've also had it fail to fix, but I was fortunate to have another file 30 minutes apart that somehow did not have this problem

4. The current file I am in is too far in progress compared to the last save, and all the previous actions I've tried according to the UESP page has not worked, as the page itself explains it is simply random and not guaranteed

5. Usually animation problems (I've had lots of these) are very consistent, and can be replicated via other saves with similar characteristics. For example, the New Animation Pack by XP32 disables my blocking animation with two handers, and certain mods that ask me to overwrite, turn out that I need to overwrite one gender but not the other. I usually spend a lot of time making sure all the mods I plan to use every run works before I invest hours into it.

6. My save was perfectly fine for a very long time before breaking this, although I may or may not have had this problem on that particular character before but it went away.

Did you install the crafting access plugin that was available for a short time at this mod?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/22944

I had your problem while I was developing that plugin (which turned out to cause other problems so was removed). Since it affected crafting stations, and I was using a save next to crafting stations it was causing those nearby stations to foul up and not work properly, booting me prematurely from the station.

Let me ask you this. does it affect ALL crafting stations or just those in a certain spot? If you transport to the 'testing hall' via coc qasmoke in the console, can you use those stations? Those stations seem to be 'off the grid' and not linked to the CK's base form and thus don't get accidentally damaged by mods.

Having the same problem myself, and yes with all workstations, everywhere.

And this is with a new Save without any upgrading of any mods or even Skyrim itself in the middle of it.

Whenever the workstation animation fail I notice that my character is hovering slightly above the ground.

• 10 months later...

Hey. I had this problem too. Everytime when I used a crafting table (alchemy, enachanting or whatever) I saw animation started but then it acted like if I pressed a Tab key to exit. I'm using a lot of mods so maybe this was just because of a bad load order or something but I've figured out that if I'll turn the "Immersive Beds" Mod off > then start the game > Save it and exit it > and turn the "Immersive Beds" back on , then it start to work again. I'm not sure how long but so far its ok :) Hope this will help :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @anterun!

You saved me a lot of hassle that I was about to go through...

Anyway, if you're having an issue with auto-exiting out of crafting tables, tanning racks, weapon-improvers (forget what they're called haha), enchanting tables, alchemy benches, etc....

Check and see if you have Immersive beds running. It was the issue for me and after uninstalling, I no longer had any of the above issues. Thanks again!

Now to figure out how to get Immersive beds out of my MCM menu. I heard that MCM updates menu files after periods of time, so I'll try waiting first...

ninja edit*: indeed, waiting 24 hours did the trick, I am BUG FREE BABY.

Edited by drmmrdude22

• 7 months later...

Neither do I have immersive beds or killmove-mods installed, but I too, am recently having problems of the same nature. Any crafting - immediately quits after a second. Would love to find out why this is happening. So, frustrating.

No update as to discovered commonality?

There has to be a pattern; I believe that one of the Mods must be responsible for the corrupting of the save files.

EDIT @ 02/12/15 - do NOT use Magic Duel - it interferes with animation at some point.

Edited by Vythodias