Steam - GreenLight

IanN1990

Steam is currently doing a system where their users are able to browse though 600 + games and vote for one they find interesting. Once a game reaches enough votes that game would then get support by steam and added. Most of these games are free to play so there is no harm in voting.

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

Two Games i would like to see voted up, if anyone else finds them interesting as well are.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92933628&searchtext=

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92917473&searchtext=

I don't like this Greenlight thing. I thought it would be a really cool idea, but seeing it in effect... Well it seems like its going to be very difficult to get games enough votes with some of the bleeps on Steam. I just saw someone who gave a thumbs down because he couldn't give it a neutral vote, because there was no game play video. Other than that there's like a million Slenderman games popping up. There's also some ridiculous games on there (or there was, I don't know if they are there anymore, I just specifically remember some that had certain body parts that looked like they were drawn in Paint as their cover image).

But there are some very very interesting games on there. Just that the Steam community is so childish is disappointing.

I'd probably make a change to where entries require a thorough demo or the whole game in order to prove that the game is well into the late stages of production or has been produced, and is not necessarily a concept - I'm seeing a lot of games like this and there isn't much to them except that they are an idea with some concept art or models placed in an engine.

Another thing I might do is figure out some sort of author verification - There are some games that have been entered that have been questioned if the entrant is the original author or if they are just a fake account. Credit/debit card information is on hand for several users, so that right there is a good start into author verification.

Edited by ziitch

99% of the stuff up there is crap. Many developers are using it as a dumping ground to try and get older games on Steam. They'll have to make some serious changes to how the system works, because right now it's overflowing with crap.

We were having a laugh earlier, because some fool uploaded a game called Gramma Voon Boom, where you play as a granny who has to collect cookies. He had a hissy fit when people told him how crap his game looked.

It was an idea with some promise... But without some way to weed out fake entries or games which are already out there, or games which don't meet some sort of minimum quality standards... It's only going to continue to be the smoldering pile of crap that it currently is.

I think it'll even out eventually. For now, a few people moderating it wouldn't be half bad, though. One of the devs who uploaded a game called NEStalgia, or something like that, he was actively deleting criticism in the comments section of his game. That type of things shouldn't be happening.

That type of things shouldn't be happening.

I'm actually not too concerned about that. It's not like people have actually played these games and are voicing an informed opinion, but rather that people are taking approx. 20 seconds to look at the screenshots and just posting gut reactions... Usually along the lines of "this game is just like ______ so it has to suck". I agree that there are some real turds in the listing, But there are a handful of games in the listing that while they don't look all that impressive, have a different premise or an interesting game mechanic.

For example...

Will Fight for Food

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?controller=sharedfiles&appid=765&method=browse&browsesort=rated&browsefilter=rated&p=2

On the surface it looks like just another crappy flash fighting game. But tosses in dialogue choices to get past challenges as well as the ability to just attack anyone with or without reason.

Then there are games like The Real Texas

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?controller=sharedfiles&appid=765&method=browse&browsesort=rated&browsefilter=rated&p=1&ExtraParams%5B0%5D=

Which looks kinda simplistic, but shows some effort to building a unique theme and style.

Yeah, Valve needs to remember the whole situation that happened when a Tera mace get added into Dota 2 by accident. For example, you should see some of the "indie JRPG" stuff over at GamersGate. I kid you not, someone is just trying to sell their RPGMaker games, in fact it seems that they didn't even give the game new graphics. :facepalm:

Yeah, Valve needs to remember the whole situation that happened when a Tera mace get added into Dota 2 by accident. For example, you should see some of the "indie JRPG" stuff over at GamersGate. I kid you not, someone is just trying to sell their RPGMaker games, in fact it seems that they didn't even give the game new graphics. :facepalm:

There are a handful of those in Greenlight already... One of the people who had made some was even complaining about all the negative votes he was getting just because it was an RPGMaker game. :facepalm:

I tried explaining the differences between what is a hobbyists tool and one designed for professional quality games, but he didn't seem to understand and even went on to say that he wasn't a programmer. :psyduck:

I think that in a nutshell explains part of the problem with Greenlight. What it is was never really explained to anyone using it.