Bugs out of Nowhere

yukataRED

This is a strange problem (that's saying something for modded Oblivion, heh), and after trying everything I could think of myself, I decided to come here and see if anyone has any ideas on what this could be. Even if it has no cure, I would at least like to know what caused it.

Okay, I have been playing a heavily modded Oblivion for months now, with virtually no problems (a once in a while CTD, but not nearly enough to warrant attention).

It has all the usual suspects, FCOM, Midas Magic, CM Partners, various homes, etc. all in a nice untouched harmony put together via Wrye Bash and BOSS back in April. Since then I have added no mods, nor have I taken any away, and thus this isn't an issue of load order or a specific mod being the problem.

Needless to say, I have been logging serious hours into this one character. I just crested the 400 hour mark just last week. Nothing has happened so far that has made me think that the save has bloated, or become corrupted, however. I am monitoring the size of my save files, and am currently hovering around the 8 MB range. Again, nothing serious.

So, I am continuing on, and out of nowhere, a problem begins to occur. Animations for spells will freeze in air, or not show at all. The fireballs will leave suspended puffs of flame in midair for several minutes, healing spells leave a cluster of orbs hanging around my character, etc. Also, all flame animations in the game (campfires, lamps, Oblivion gates) become frozen. Many of the Midas spells have ceased animation and effect, or have seriously delayed effects. Force Push lacks both sound and effect but has its animation. Go figure. Also, during these periods, I have experienced 2 CTDs in 2 days, which is more than I've had in a long time. It could be related.

Sleeping doesn't cure it, fast traveling doesn't cure it, using Wrye Bash's fix save game bloat function doesnt work...the curious thing is, if I go back to a previous save, everything is fine, until i get around the same time mark (around 416 hours), and then no matter what i do or where i go, this craziness seems to take effect.

Has anyone experienced this before? I can't seem to find any advice on it anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You are suffering from the A-Bomb animation bug. You can fix it with Wrye Bash or Oblivion Animation Fixer. In either case you will need to periodically re-run the fix (I usually start to notice slight anomalies with the Legion patrol and courier torches just before the bit reaches 49 ... I use OAF, WB uses a percentage in it's status report).