Disable/MarkForDelete

LtSurge

At a certain point in my game, after I had completed all the quests and gathered what I could from a location, I had occasionally removed things that I couldn't otherwise pick up or scrap.

I'm a bit... neurotic, I suppose. After shooting up a place and/or taking a Settlement, I like to make it as clean and free of debris as possible.

I did this by first identifying the object, disabling, and then marking for deletion. However, now that I'm starting a brand new game, I had thought to ask for advice...

What are the full consequences to deleting non-essential objects in the world?

Is it preferable to simply DIsable, rather than Delete them? And, why?

One thing to note... I like to do these things procedurally and on my own terms. In other words, I like to clean places and remove individual objects as I go along. So, a mod that cleans locations automatically, before I even find them, is not something that interests me.

Thank you

Edited by LtSurge

It depends entirely what sort of objects you are deleting.

Game uses PreCombined meshes, to allow itself to load more. System merges several smaller NIF-files to get loaded as one NIF-file. If you go around deleting objects that are part of PCMeshes, then you will break them. This will affect to your game, because now it will load all objects in those cells as separate NIFs, instead of one big chunk NIF.

Game also has PreVis system. It unloads objects that your character couldn't see behind solid objects, making it so that only relevant objects are being loaded.

If you end up deleting PreCombined meshes or objects, then you risk getting performance issues from both broken PreCombined mesh loads and PreVis loads.

If you want to remain at safe side, then you could use Extra Object Selection from Place Everywhere. It pretty much allows you to scrap any object in Workshop mode, which is not tied to PreCombined meshes.

Of course that does not help you outside the settlements. I would recommend that you leave those places alone. If you still want to use console there, then keep with objects that could be manually moved by the character, unless you are absolutely certain that they are not tied to PreCombines.