Musket Mod (WIP)

ghosu

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could use google translate but he uploaded his file to the nexus as well so however, it is a character skeleton...will check that out in the evening. Maybe i find a way to adjust the original skeleton to fit my model, still have to learn a lot 'bout it. Edited by ghosu

Hi folks, as usual: thx for the feedback. Little update: I'm working on a little Alpha Hotfix atm to change/fix some things (it's no major release). Since this is an alpha version and there won't be a new version/release in the near future (i guess it might take a few weeks to the full release) i will do a video as well 'bout:

1) Hotfix changes 2) CK 3) Planned features 4) Modding

CK: I'll try to show you how to change values like dmg, speed, projectile gravity, enchantment and whatever. You can't make 'em all happy when it comes to these values so afterwards you can adjust them yourselves.

Modding: To give you a little insight what (my) problem is when it comes to animation. Because you have to rig the musket model to the crossbow skeleton and this is really terrible, i haven't seen a single person that managed to create a new skeleton to fit a weapon model. It's not like pushing one button to add authentic animations :D

Since this is a bit more work than expected (and i have a RL)i'll try to release that until the weekend.

thx & greetings

Edited by ghosu

Ok, man. First of all I would like to say that you are doing a great job. The idea and actual work is really amazing. But playing around and thinking about the future updates of the mod I've come up to some ideas that may help you with some of your issues/ I would like to say that it's your mod and it's up to you to decide, but still.

First of all I was thinking about the appearance of the musket. It looks like a more modern, 18-19th century design. And this creates some problems.

1) It looks not as lore friendly as it could be. Talking about this I think that Fable series can be a great example. (1st part-bows only, 2-kinda mixed bows/muskets, 3 part- 6-round rifles) And your mod should give that exact feeling- some use rifles (which are still cumbersome and a bit weird, but have their advantages, and some use bows and crossbows- tested and time-proven)

2) The barrel is too long. When it hangs on the back of my dark elf it nearly scratches the ground (looks ridiculous). Plus, from what I've read it creates some difficulties with alignment of the line of barrel and the crosshair. So my suggestion- just shorten the barrel like 30-50% guess it will work just fine.

3) The reloading animation and appearance again. Maybe give the rifle a more primitive look. Just like the 15th century wheellocks ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheellock ). This will serve multiple purposes. Make the rifle more lore-friendly, like something that could have been taken from the dwarves and then reworked and produced. And moving the firing mechanism to the front could make the animation look much better just like it is now. For better understanding just look at the picture.

4) The stats. I think it should be more powerful then a crossbow + ignore armour like 50%, but the reloading time should be the longest of all ranged weapons.

Anyway, that was just my thoughts on the mod, feel free to use them or not and good luck with the work.

Edited by Kilotonn

Hi

Well and exactly here comes the big problem when people, that don't mod themselves, suggest things:

Animations - the animation is the original crossbow animation, atm i see no way to alter the original skeleton to fit my model - and without this possibilty i see no way to make a single fitting animation. I haven't seen a single mod yet that had a new custom skeleton, so you can imagine that there are not many / maybe no tutorials around regarding this topic. I opened several (!) threads over the last months, one a few days ago and except one guy no answers - not many people have a clue 'bout that (or i'm just stupid, whatever).

1) I don't care 'bout the lore, i wanted to import a musket from day one. For my own gameplay and for people, that feel the same way. I did many lore friendly mods but i don't limit my own creativity to such barriers. I don't need an excuse for a musket and i won't paint it yellow. Technology? Dwemer! ... i don't like that idea, of course it's the most obvious explanation but i really can't hear it any more, no offense but this is not my style - i force no one to download it :D

Pls i really don't want to sound rude but as you've maybe seen...there are 260+ comments for my mod, you can imagine how often i heard: More dmg, better animations, less dmg, slower reload, faster reload, better animations, shorter barrel, change position (ha, even that is hard without animations), more dmg, slower reload, less dmg, oh and animations ! and so on - though i explained a dozen times why there are no real animations atm, i explained as well how to change reload time/dmg within a minute in CK - in the file explanation, in ReadMe AND in screenshot galery. I really really don't wan't to be rude but atm i oooonly need ideas 'bout animation, the rest is a minor problem compared to that :D

I will upload a video with the Alpha version hotfix so people understand the whole thing and why it's driving me crazy atm, i will even explain how to change dmg/speed/gravity/sound whatever because you can't make 2 dozen version of each weapon to make all people happy ;)

Thx for your feedback, greetings

EDIT: I already had this image on my desktop when i started modeling but the actual model was the concept from day one as you see in my Youtube channel. As mentioned, once i cracked the animation issue adding new types - even lore friendly versions - will be much easier.

EDIT: Here is my concept from january, these animations were done in a external 3D editor within a few minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WaHsnFpkycc

In Skyrim it took me hours to rotate a single part (even that doesn't work as it should)

Edited by ghosu