2012 what are you doing about it?

dirvish

I suspect at least initially, any society/settlement/village/whathaveyou, that comes out of any disaster that significantly reduces the earths population will more than likely be scavengers, living on the remnants of what is left. This would work best if disease, or natural disaster was the cause.... as cities would still be pretty much intact, and a fair bit of stored food/tools/materials would still be available. Now, if it was something like a strategic nuclear war....... cities would be smoking craters, and deathtraps, and available resources would be significantly harder to come by. Of course, population depletion would potentially be significantly higher as well..... certainly in the longer term.

As to the end of the world in 2012 in relation to the Mayan Calander, I too think the particular mayan astronomer worked out the calander to the end of that year in their calander, but was never able to work out more of it probably due to his own death. If, by the most remote of chances the world does end this year, it would be because some crazy lunatic was set in his mind to make "the prophecy" happen, and got his/her hands on a few nukes to lob to create a very short WW3, Fallout Style. Chances of that ever happening, however, would be 1 in 100's of billions. So, as many others rationally believe, December 22, 2012 will come and go just as December 20, 2012 will as well. But, hey, why not use this "end of the world day" as an excuse to party and have fun with family and friends?!

I'll do the same in 2012, as I did in 2011. Go to work, pay some bills and get drunk now and then. I will probably do the same next year. So basically, I am doing nothing about it, and until I see a CNN newsflash saying there actually is a massive big old rock, heading straight for Earth (or whatever disaster CNN care to broadcast), I will continue to do nothing. Life is for living, not for worrying about tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
There has been many "end of the world" dates in history and 2012 will be no different. Apparently the end of the world is in 3797 according to Nostradamus. There is too much "jumping to conclusions" about the Mayan calender. My heart tells me it was an end to a cycle and they never had a chance to start anew.

Come whatever may. I have better things to do then worry about the "end of the world."

Even if it were real, whatever. If it is the end I can't stop it, why fight it? I guess I would just make peace with God and let it happen.

For the record I do not believe the world will be ending anytime soon. A long time ago I used to worry about such stupid things and then I spent years reading history books of all kinds and realized people have been claiming the end is near since people could open their stupid little mouths.

:wallbash:

Come whatever may. I have better things to do then worry about the "end of the world."

Even if it were real, whatever. If it is the end I can't stop it, why fight it? I guess I would just make peace with God and let it happen.

For the record I do not believe the world will be ending anytime soon. A long time ago I used to worry about such stupid things and then I spent years reading history books of all kinds and realized people have been claiming the end is near since people could open their stupid little mouths.

:wallbash:

Quoted for truth.

Altogether now people...you did watch The Life Of Brian ("'e's not the Messiah 'e's a very naughty boy...")

"Always look on the bright side of life...."

I might be old, disabled and unemployed but I ain't dead yet.

If the world does end in December 2012, I'm going to be extremely pissed. I wouldn't have gotten to do what i wanted for my career, and i won't even have a college degree to show off at the Heaven meet and greet party.

On the other hand the most logical answer is that the Mayans disappeared before extending their calender.

and my personal favorite, narrated by Ron Pearlman, of what the end of the world does...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMmdtxIm0Rk

"But it was not as some had predicted, the End of the World, instead the Apocalypse was just a prologue to another bloody chapter of human history"