Cats or dogs?

WinterFlower

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which one, if any, would you prefer as pet?

A tarantula.

They live longer than either, take up less space, don't crap on the floor, can be used to deter visitors, and they are cheaper to look after. The one big difference where they aren't as good is that you can't have an emotional relationship with them, rather, they're more of a hobby than a companion, since they are completely silent, can't actually see you, and have a completely different psychology and neurological structure. There's also the issue of training. You need to do a lot of research before you're qualified to look after something this unusual. There's also the problem of many petshops "grey-breeding" tarantulas without either due research or caution, resulting in it being best to identify the species yourself rather than assuming because you paid for an Avicularia you got an Avicularia. The difference between an Antilles Pink-Toe and a Brazilian Salmon-Pink Tarantula is not just colour. They grow to different sizes, have different lifespans, and while pinktoes in general are quiet, gentle, and a bit timid, Salmon-Pinks are bold, willful and will attack when they feel suficiently threatened. As a Space Marine once said; Know Your Bug.

The same general info goes for Scorpions, though Scorpions may be a better start point for a novice since they're slowly, gentler of disposition, and usually easier to handle. Emperor Scorpions are truly impressive beasts; they grow to massive sizes but are, for an arachnid, comparatively easy to look after. Scorpions require the addition of access to water, and tend to burrow under rocks. Like most arachnids, they're nocturnal. As with Tarantulas, they're usually gentle beasts, content to slip away when frightened. However, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to prod them. Even though it's unable to carry dangerous venom, an Emperor Scorpion's tail still ends in a bloody large biological katana, and I can tell you from personal experience, removing it and the scorpion from your hand, without harming the scorpion, is not a pleasent process, since they tend to cling onto you, as they're used to crushing their prey in their claws while repeatedly stabbing it as needed with their tail spike. Infection is also a serious issue, due to the stinger's near proximity to the scorpion's anus.

Lifespan: varies depending on species, can be upwards of 10 years.

Eats: Live crickets and roaches.

From: South America, some Indian/Sri Lankan species can be kept, but pose a danger to the owner.

Lives in: A large fish tank with a very deep layer of dirt in it. The larger the better.

Health problems: Very few as long as you get a female. The female's ability to periodically shed/regrow their entire exoskeleton gives them an impressive healing ability, however, their blue, copper-based blood lacks a clotting agent so you need to be careful with them and their environment.

Hazards: On face value a Tarantula is a biological weapons platform: bristling with blade-sharp spines along the rear carapace, legs ending in pairs of non-retractable claws, and massive, venomous fangs. In truth, unless yours it's a very agressive breed/individual, they're reasonably harmless. Just be careful when they're out of the cage, they lack serious venom and are usually gentle, docile creatures, but their fangs are massive, and can make a mess of your fingers. Only stupid people handle tarantula bare handed, their claws are designed for climbing trees, but they're make a mess of your hands if you're silly enough to pick it up with gloves.

(Footnote: Tarantulas are not bugs, they are Therasphosidae, a part of the order arachnidae)

Edited by Vindekarr

In that case, I would suggest a Maine Coon cat. I recently got one myself, they're lovely animals. She's the first pet I've ever had which is either warm-blooded, nonvenonmous, or who's fur isn't made of razor-sharp boney needles that detach and stay in the wound. And while she's nowhere near as bioligically interesting as any of a myriad of invertibrate monsters I've seen, the fact she's neither venomous, monstrous or invertibrate has an appeal all of it's own. The only downside is the fluff; going into summer she's started shedding, and unlike a spider, rather than simply remove her skin, she instead casts off great tufts of fur and leaves them where they're least needed. Thank goodness my PC has an air filter.