How to change textures

So im new to CK for fallout, have been using skyrim, im trying to change the textures to a custom non rusty one for buildings, but simply adding it to CK doesnt make it show up in swap list, how do i do this so i can make nice new buildings

Or how do i make my DDS file, change to a BGSM file so i can use it to swap textures on buildings

Edited by Colemanallen1987

So im new to CK for fallout, have been using skyrim, im trying to change the textures to a custom non rusty one for buildings, but simply adding it to CK doesnt make it show up in swap list, how do i do this so i can make nice new buildings

The kit will not use loose files, they need to be in an archive "BA2" with the name of the plugin your making.

Then the kit will see them.

You need to be logged onto bethesda'a web site in order to get full functionality for that game "Fallout 4" Logged in wit the kit as well.

They download the libraries used for packaging as well during that session.

It's like trying to run a Fose scripted mod and thinking it will run with out fose being installed.

Put it this way, their kit you downloaded uses their version of scripted extender VIA networking. You do not have access to the data.

Although it does show up in the C:\users\(username)\Apps\Temp ----folder for you to see the actions.

When you close the Kit, these get deleted.

Buggy as all get out so good luck.

The kit will not use loose files, they need to be in an archive "BA2" with the name of the plugin your making.

Then the kit will see them.

You need to be logged onto bethesda'a web site in order to get full functionality for that game "Fallout 4" Logged in wit the kit as well.

Sorry…I’m a bit confused by these statements. Can you clarify? The CK will absolutely load and use loose files, no matter if they are textures or otherwise. While packing those loose files into a BA2 is the preferred method for distributing a finished mod, the CK will load and use loose files if they are present, just like FO4 itself will.

Also, you do not need to be logged into anything to launch and use the CK. You DO need to be logged into Bethesda.net and use their gawd-awful launcher to download and install the CK, but after that you 100% do not need to be logged into anything to actually launch and use it. Launching right from CreationKit .exe or a shortcut to it works perfectly fine.

OP: if all you want to do is replace one texture for another, than you just need to know the file path of the texture you want to replace. The original will likely be packed into one of the game’s texture archives, so you’ll need to track down what the actual file path for your replacement should be then recreate the file path for the game to read your replacement texture.

It can be a bit of a trail of bread crumbs to track down a single texture, but kinggath recently posted a great video tutorial on doing exactly that and explains it far better than I ever could. It involves a bit of leg work to find the correct material file that will have the texture data. For what you are looking to do, this tutorial should be helpful or at least get you started. As explained in the video, downloading and installing Material Editor will be very helpful for tracking down texture paths. It will also be required for making your own material files if you choose to do so.

Are trying to make material swaps? If you just want to do a straight out texture replacement, a material swap may not be necessary for your situation. But…material swaps are extremely useful and are something well worth learning to use. Both kinggath and seddon4494 have excellent tutorials on creating and using them.

"

Also, you do not need to be logged into anything to launch and use the CK. You DO need to be logged into Bethesda.net and use their gawd-awful launcher to download and install the CK, but after that you 100% do not need to be logged into anything to actually launch and use it. Launching right from CreationKit .exe or a shortcut to it works perfectly fine.

"

wrong.

"

"

wrong.

LOL...whatever you say. Your detailed technical explanation obviously shows that you're the expert here, and the CK installs that I've used to make 50+ FO4 mods without logging into anything have all clearly been broken.

"

"

wrong.

LOL...whatever you say. Your detailed technical explanation obviously shows that you're the expert here, and the CK installs that I've used to make 50+ FO4 mods without logging into anything have all clearly been broken.

Your being silly, the kit downloads fully with an offline editor ,and it's 32bit at that, "OFFLINE" <--- NOW, That being the case, common sense would tell you the main editor is an ON line editor. 64bit at that.

If your not aware of these simple things? Making fun of me here is really dumb.

The tools the hidden version 32bit lacks a ton of extra software, where as the main editor is meant for publishing your mod's On Bethesa's web site, ergo there is a download of needed proprietary software your not allowed to keep.

The editor for online is for cross platform publishing, that means the mod gets stuff you do not get offline.

Now...what's your Problem?

"

"

wrong.

Your being silly, the kit downloads fully with an offline editor ,and it's 32bit at that, "OFFLINE" <--- NOW, That being the case, common sense would tell you the main editor is an ON line editor. 64bit at that.

If your not aware of these simple things? Making fun of me here is really dumb.

The tools the hidden version 32bit lacks a ton of extra software, where as the main editor is meant for publishing your mod's On Bethesa's web site, ergo there is a download of needed proprietary software your not allowed to keep.

The editor for online is for cross platform publishing, that means the mod gets stuff you do not get offline.

Now...what's your Problem?

I’m not making fun of you. But you seem to be clinging to information that isn’t accurate. I have been using the 64-bit version OFFLINE, and WITHOUT logging into Bethesda.net since 2017. I have never ONCE needed to log into ANYTHING to, launch or use the 64-bit version. Yes, it actually says 64-bit in the window bar to clear up any confusion. This is the first I've ever heard anyone ever mention "online" and "offline" editor versions. Do you have documentation you can point me to about this?

I can click the (64-bit) .exe file, launch and use it without logging into Bethesda.net, without using the launcher and losing access to any features.

I stated as such, and “wrong” was your only reply. Not too helpful. Simply dismissive and condescending, with no explanation on what I am supposed to be “wrong” about.

No one has mentioned uploading to Bethesda.net in this entire tirade. Obviously you would need login to do that. I don’t publish there so I have never needed to log into it. If that is what you are referring to, why not just say so? Or maybe version control? None of this has anything to to with the OPs post or the context of using the CK to change a texture.

My first post indicated of that YES, you need to log in and use the Bethesda launcher to download and install it. NOT to actually use it as you seem to insist is the case. That is flat out incorrect, as is saying the CK will not read loose files. Or am I wrong about that as well?

The OP was asking for help on how to simply change a texture and you answered with some tangent on logging into Bethesda.net, the Fallout 3 script extender and temp files. And here we are.

EDIT: Could you tell me what features are missing from this "offline" version you mention?

Edited by RedRocketTV

ok ,great, so you don't know every thing ,I highly suggest you inspect your games folder and find the files in question.

yeah I cling to the authors authority on the subject, I also repair a ton of FO4 mods too.

The fact you admit no knowledge means you need to learn a few things.

"Condescending" ?

Man, are you way off course. Look, stop the fight ,there's no way for you to win this argument any way, yeah, every body does it, uses things they way the crowd does.

I can only point to complaints, and believe me ,a lot of mods are full of complaints...even on your own threads.

Just keep in mind, I "was " here to help, not get into a water contest with you.

These kit's offered leave a lot to be desired, the key here was to help make sure the person had all that there was to fix the problem.

I do NOT take short cut's

I will not continue this garbage discussion, it's not worth it to me.

OK...I know where that folder is and it's not the CK exe that I use. Is this the "offline" one you meant? Unless I'm going to generate LIP files, I have no reason to open that. The exe I use is the 64-bit that gets installed in the root game directory. Are we talking about two different things?