Mod Organizer 2: Overwrite?

NewtReivis

I've been modding SSE using MO2. I totally borked my game so I uninstalled most of the mods and am starting over. The one aspect of Mod Organizer 2 that I haven't been able to make sense of is the "overwrite" folder. My understanding is that when you have mod files that conflict with each other, the "overwrite" folder at the bottom of the mod list on the left turns red. I am then supposed to double-click the overwrite folder, which opens it and shows the conflicting files, I am then supposed to drag the lose files into the right mods.

The problem is, I do not understand how I am supposed to be able to tell which mod is the correct mod to store the loose files. I haven't found any explanation that helps with this. I believe that moving loose files from the overwrite folder into mods willy-nilly is one of the things that caused several of my mods to stop working. How do I determine where the loose files are supposed to go?

• 2 years later...

The overwrite folder is where MO2 puts ALL output files that do not already have an active instance loaded at the time of creation. It is always best to deal with files in the overwrite as they are created rather than every so often. Unfortunately, what to do with the files depends upon the file in question and what was done to create that file. There is no singular instruction that can be applied to every file that appears in the overwrite.

• 10 months later...

It's not too difficult to understand.

Say you run a program through MO2, like Dyndolod, or Bodyslide.
Those programs generate files, those files are dropped into the Overwrite folder.
Just create an empty mod and drop in the desired files (From Overwrite)

Ok, loose files. As Ish says, it depends on the mod. Also you don't need to throw the files from overwrite to Mod-X. Just create a new empty mod, then drop it in.
As for figuring out where it goes, most of the time you probably don't need to.
Most of the time it's going to be .ini files. To figure them out, look at the name or open the file. You know your mods.

• 7 months later...