[solved] HardCore, DLC, SleepDeprevation 275 bug

GamerRick

I think I got it. I put this in a quest script I am using for making the various HC game-setting rates scale to a non-standard timescale and display them when a key is pressed.

I first encountered this bug when finishing Old World Blues after the slide show, but I got around it by using the mod that gets rid of the DLC slide shows.

Then it happened again when I entered the Divide for Lonesome Road (even with that other mod still active).

This is the only function (SetAV) that works (I know because I tired ForceAV and RestoreAV first) and it only works in a script (not a console command):

begin gamemode
if IsKeyPressed 35  ; H key
  set SleepRate to player.getAV SleepDeprevation
  .... Code to display HC statuses 
  if sleepRate >= 275
   player.setAV sleepdeprevation 1
  endif
endif
end

This works for me, because I have never let the SleepDeprevation (sic) get any where near 275.

I need a better solution to actually share the fix with others.

Questions:

1. No one else fixed this? Mod searching turned up nothing.
  2. Hotkey, inventory item, or what? Hotkey requires a continually running quest script and maybe the option to change the actual key used. Inventory item sounds good, since it doesn't require a quest. Both would require the player to initiate the fix rather than having it be automatic. MCM is out, because I don't know or care to learn it Or maybe there is another way to fire some script block with the SetAV instruction?
Edited by GamerRick

Hey, I think you left out what the actual bug you are talking about is.

As for question #2

You don't need a continually running quest script to capture the users input, you can use an event handler (Although, it probably isn't necessary if your script is light), here is the necessary function: SetOnKeyDownEventHandler and here is how to implement it in to your script Tip Event Handler for Hotkey

If you want the user to have the ability to change the input key without using MCM, you can create an INI file, here is the necessary function: GetINIFloat

The bug is the title of the post. When you have HC enabled and start or finish one of the DLCs, (OWB, Lonesome Road, or Dead Money) your sleepdeprevation value gets set to 275 as its new 0. The first DLC I did was Honest Hearts, and it did not happen.

google this: fallout new vegas sleep stuck at 275

I will look into your suggestions about an event handler and ini usage. Thanks,

Edited by GamerRick

Doesn't JIP_LN fix this at the source of the problem?:

"bGameDaysPassedFix - Fixes an engine bug where the 'GameDaysPassed' and 'GameHour' global timers would "freeze" and stop increasing in game real-time (they would only increase when sleeping, waiting or fast traveling). This issue directly affected hardcore needs build-up, which would also freeze in game real-time."

.....or is this something entirely separate that you've stumbled across?

If JIP fixed it, I wouldn't have had the error happen. It is also not caused by a timescale other than 30. I have no idea if it has anything to do with the floating-point precision bug.

The ONLY thing I noticed is that 275 became the new zero for SleepDeprevation, except that the game added the first tier effect for it. It would then go up from 275 and back when I slept.

With the console command it would say I am no longer suffering from SD but then show 275 when displayed.

It looks like an errant pointer bug to me.

And when I entered the Lonesome Road from the Mojave there was no cutscene. Yet the mod to remove the ending cutscene worked for OWB.

OMFG! I found the real cause of this.

In NVDLC04WreckageDoorSCRIPT (the door at the Canyon Wreckage site that takes you to the Lonesome Road, Mission Mojave Ultimate Addition added this:

If IsHardcore == 1
Player.SetAv SleepDeprevation 275;
Player.CIOS NVDLC01AdrenalineShot;

EndIf

LOL! This is my first time playing HC and using that "bug fix" mod over YUP.

For OWB they added that same statement to dialog topic NVDLC03EndingSlideFinale

Edited by GamerRick

That explains it. I don't use Mission Mojave, but I always play hardcore mode, and never had any needs freeze at that specific number. I remember noticing at one point that entering Zion Canyon for the first time basically shut off the sleep need, but just sleeping once set it going again.... that annoyed me enough, bet locking it at a preset amount would be much worse.

Anyway, glad you figured it out.

Nice detective work. Added 'Issue - DLC Old World Blues / Lonesome Road - SleepDeprevation forced to 275' to "Misc" section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

I'm told that is not the only arbitrary "questionable fix" inflicted by MMUE.

-Dubious-

I was hoping you would see this. Your responses to the issue reported by others in the past made me think it was the floating-point precision bug, which made no sense since I have JIP installed that fixes that.

I also found the code in a Dead Money dialog topic. Honest Hearts is the only DLC (with a quest in a new world space) that doesn't have it.

I reported it to the MMUE team, but they aren't going to fix it. I suggested that MMUE should be be discouraged over YUP. The only bug I found MMUE fixing that YUP doesn't is where the game fails to correctly add the CompanionPerk to companions.

I also found that the console command works. So, I must have neglected to try the setAV command. Notice that they misspelled Deprivation (as Deprevation)! It is not misspelled on the Wiki, another really annoying thing that wasted my time.

player.setAV sleepdeprevation 1
Edited by GamerRick

I try to see all the threads discussing problems and solutions. If I ever miss one, feel free to PM me or post to the thread linked at the top of the "Troubleshooting" wiki article. It's the only way to keep the wiki current.

Do you happen to recall the dialog topic in Dead Money with that code?

YUP doesn't add the Companion Perk? That surprises me, as it's been known about for at least a couple of years now. Hope you mentioned it to the YUP team so we can eventually unequivocally say MMUE doesn't have any bug fixes that YUP doesn't fix as well.

Appreciate your research.

-Dubious-