Vortex deleting modified plugins ?

Jayses

I spend THREE HOURS editing various mods to fit my playthrough with xEdit, and when I booted up Vortex, the usual "newer or older plugins" dialogue showed up, but after I chose the newer ones, pufff, it's gone.
Excuse me what the f*#@ ?

Could you please be more detailed? What do you mean by "the usual newer or older plugins dialogue" ? Do you mean the external changes dialogue? That's not specific to plugins.

You then get to choose whether you want to save your changes and commit them to the staging folder, or revert. Either way, nothing should be lost as Vortex would make backups even if you chose to revert.

Some clarification is needed on what exactly you were doing and trying to do.

Could you please be more detailed? What do you mean by "the usual newer or older plugins dialogue" ? Do you mean the external changes dialogue? That's not specific to plugins.

You then get to choose whether you want to save your changes and commit them to the staging folder, or revert. Either way, nothing should be lost as Vortex would make backups even if you chose to revert.

I wrote about the exact same problem in another thread. Here's a link to the start of the discussion if you are interested in reading it: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7365471-files-changed-outside-of-vortex/?p=71895623

The one that made me choose either "use newer files" or "revert", I chose use newer, then pooof, gone...

Didn't modify any loose files, only (lots of) values in some esps.

Edited by Jayses

What version of Vortex are you using? Are you saying the plugins are getting removed or are they being reset?

Please try to provide more details if you want us to help you troubleshoot.

Hey BB - This has been happening to me too. The plugin files are being removed completely unless you pay attention and hit "Revert" during the right step. It happens inconsistently but here are the steps:

1. Install mod, enable mod, deploy mod, yay!
  2. Clean mod with TES5EditQuickAutoClean.exe because Vortex says LOOT says you should. Or sort the masters in TES5Edit. Important thing is that you have made some sort of change to the plugin outside of Vortex.
  3. Deploy! After all, Vortex needs to know about your changes.
  4. Tell Vortex to use the shiny new file(s).
  5. Do more stuff. Maybe install another mod or something. Whatever.
  6. Deploy! You did stuff and you want it to happen.
  7. OMGWTF now the external changes decider thingie window comes up, it tells you the files from step 4 are gone! You can either Revert (keep the files) or Save (gone forever... or at least until you reinstall from archive).

Aside from the fact that Save in step 7 is pretty counter-intuitive terminology, there's also something pretty fishy going on. Same thing happens to assorted FNIS files if you're using FNIS integration through Vortex. I am running Vortex 0.19.1 (7/23 release) but this is by no means a new issue.

Trying to recreate your issue on SSE, everything works fine for me (Step 4).

I don't get another external changes dialogue after the one affirming the "use newer files" to use the plugin I edited with TesEdit.

Maybe it does matter what you are doing on Step 5, because I installed some more mods and - like I said - no issue. The edited plugin is in my data fodder and I can purge and deploy it just fine.

Maybe it does matter what you are doing on Step 5, because I installed some more mods and - like I said - no issue. The edited plugin is in my data fodder and I can purge and deploy it just fine.

Quite possible that it does, but I have not been able to identify any sort of pattern.

1. Install mod, enable mod, deploy mod, yay!
  2. Clean mod with TES5EditQuickAutoClean.exe because Vortex says LOOT says you should. Or sort the masters in TES5Edit. Important thing is that you have made some sort of change to the plugin outside of Vortex.
  3. Deploy! After all, Vortex needs to know about your changes.
  4. Tell Vortex to use the shiny new file(s).

For me the first four steps are the same, but the fifth is me launching Skyrim and while loading a save, I'm told that the modified files I just told Vortex to save are gone.