Cant Trade With Serana

Solongchu

Is any one else not able to trade with Serana.I gave her new armor when I first got her as a follower,took it back to upgrade now when I try to trade with her every thing in my inventory is greyed out and I cant giver her any thing.

She is the only follower I cant trade with and the only mod I have that affects her is Serana's Secret and I took it out and that didnt make any difference.

It may be that the mod you mentioned has affected her AI or something and even though you've removed it, the game hasn't "reset" her ... Skyrim will store the info about NPC's in the savegame including things like inventory items, AI routines (for quest objectives and such) even animation information (try resetting Lydia to use the female anims instead of male ones and you basically have to disable her and create a new Lydia to get it to work, or start a whole new game) so you may not be able to "fix" her now, you could try the "resurrect" command or the "disable -> enable" commands, but I'd recommend a save before trying either ... (hence the many issues with savegame bloat and Skyrim)

Perhaps she's already carrying to much? Followers can't carry everything. They can carry 300 points worth of stuff. :)

Edit: You mentioned everything in your inventory is grayed out so you can't give her stuff, but what about her inventory? Try taking things from her to make room. :) Hope this solves the situation

Edited by JesterKing

I have come across this also.Once I noticed it happening I went back and loaded a number of previous saves - all had the same problem.No problem taking stuff from inventory but no way to place items directly into her inventory - other than keys.I think it first started once I had completed the DG Main Quest.I am also unable to rehire her after dismissing her once the DGMQ is finished.

I don't have any mods loaded that specifically alter Serana other than UFO.

I did however find that she will pick up items I drop from my inventory if I tell her to pickup items once in Command Mode (holding down E while cursor is on follower).

It does get a bit tedious but at least it is still possible to take depleted enchanted weapons from her,recharge,drop on floor and get her to pick them up.

As an aside it isn't through overburdening her - I generally only give her one or two weapons and a hand full of potions -no more than a dozen items in total.

I have come across this also.Once I noticed it happening I went back and loaded a number of previous saves - all had the same problem.No problem taking stuff from inventory but no way to place items directly into her inventory - other than keys.I think it first started once I had completed the DG Main Quest.I am also unable to rehire her after dismissing her once the DGMQ is finished.

I don't have any mods loaded that specifically alter Serana other than UFO.

I did however find that she will pick up items I drop from my inventory if I tell her to pickup items once in Command Mode (holding down E while cursor is on follower).

It does get a bit tedious but at least it is still possible to take depleted enchanted weapons from her,recharge,drop on floor and get her to pick them up.

As an aside it isn't through overburdening her - I generally only give her one or two weapons and a hand full of potions -no more than a dozen items in total.

Okay! :) I thought my solution sounded obvious but I just wanted to be sure all possible easy fixes were thought of. :)

No worries.

I think the problem is unique to Serana - at least in my game.I do know that she has a beastly number of scripts running on her,more so than any other base game follower.Would any one be surprised if she had not been thoroughly tested as a long term follower.By long term I mean 50 or more hours of game play in real time.I know my ability to load saves with her in tow is often compromised,I often have to load a very early save then once in game load the save I want to play.Trying to load a save from the menu screen with her in tow usually results in an instant ctd.I have disabled auto saves and never use quick saves - manual saves only and if Serana is with me then I make sure that she is not interacting with any thing before making a save - this procedure seems to keep Serana related issues to a minimum.

Given that I can not re recruit her after dismissing her after the DGMQ I tend to keep her as a permanent follower after DGMQ because on balance I would rather have her be around than not.

Any way perhaps there will be another patch before too long.Here's hoping.