Missing... stuff, dungeons/interiors.

Cipherthe3vil

It's pretty much game breaking. Many dungeons/caves etcetera... They just have entire sections completely missing. I got this problem in the past, but they weren't really missing they just didn't appear until you walked into them like it could only load a short little area at a time. (A problem which went away).

But now... Big portions of many areas are gone. Totally gone.

Why is this... ? Anyway to fix it without spending ALL dayum day uninstalling and re-installing Skyrim?

So far, the starting dungeon, bleak falls, and that mine near Riverwood all have this problem as well as a few other random dungeons if I remember right. Some places don't have this problem, others do.

I can't say for sure, but when I had a similar problem, I found out they were due to 2 different things:

1. I had let my quest log clutter up - and the game had trouble loading all the infos when I entered some cells. Clearing up my quest log helped a lot.

2. I was running too many house mods (or new locations) together - plus a couple of these mods had copied some Vanilla parts to create their mods, accidentally marking their Vanilla counterparts as modified in the CK, which explained why my game could not load them. Disabling these mods solved a good bunch of these missing sections (Vlindrel Hall, the entire Ragged Flagon, several caves, some Dwarven ruins, many places in fact...)

Doing a full reset of the game (sleeping 31 days in a non-respawning Vanilla cell with most of my mods disabled) helped clean up the rest.

I'm not saying these are the only possible causes of your problems - but it might be worth a try.

I don't think I have many house mods... If I do it's very few. Unless you count pesky Steam-Subscribed mods that never want to go away (simply being left unticked). There's probably a few house mods in there.

What mods do you know of that causes this?

Sleeping 31 days o-0 That feels like forever. Watching it tick...tick...tick...tick...tick..tick *18 ticks later* aaaand we sleep again! tick...tick.... *30 more times*

I wish sleeping/waiting was faster --,..,-- And could go beyond 24 hours...

But I'll try that.

the quest log shouldn't be an issue at all. I've only got like five quests in total, both competed and incomplete. Perhaps saved games? I've got toooooooooooooooooons of saved games.

About the Steam mod, don't just untick it, go into your data and delete the related files (usually an .esp if it is only Steam).

For my part, actually 3 house mods had problems - but not all users reported them by far, they were very good mods apart from these "side-effects". Now I'm only down to one house mod, and have not even tried to update it, just to play safe.

Try disabling all of your house mods and see if it makes any difference. Don't worry about the items you stocked there, just do a save, quit, disable your mods, reload - see if there's a change. If not, then you just reload the 1st save you made before disabling them when your items were still safe. If on the contrary, parts of your missing textures are back, then you'll know it's defintely one of your house mods.

Use the No Boring Sleep Wait mod. You can sleep 31 days with one click. But missing structural elements are almost always caused by mods that have structures in them, such as new houses, new villages, changes to village structures, quest mods with buildings, etc. Some of these problems are fixed by simply saving and reloading. I've had mods break the pullchains so that none of the gates open.

You may very well be taxing your system to much. Or rather you've hit the 4 GB limit that Skyrim can never go past.

Missing sections of the landscape and interiors can happen when you've run outta memory not just because you've got a mod that has it marked for delete

-Its probably texture related when the landscape sometimes loads and sometimes doesnt

Try removeing texture mods or downsizing

Try removeing mods that are taxing on the memory of the system ie take a look at how many gameplay mods you've got you might have a crash around the corner with your current mod setup

Try a texture optimiser

Remember that the texture sizes we want to use are often really meant for taking nice screenies, as in there are artist here and they make art not gameplay

ENB

-these will hurt your performance by as much as 50% of your FPS

-Don't just buy into it looks nice I must have it

-Try removeing it and seeing if your problem persists

-Often from my personel experience an EMB will confuse the game as to what graphics card I really have and list that my card as an inferior card to what it really is...No idea why its easy to check that by going to the same location as your Skyrim.ini file and looking at Renderinfo.ini

Run FRAPS

-find out what your average FPS is under STRESS conditions

-Try the run to Riverwood down the river path. Fight the wolves that are there.

-If your FPS is below 30 during that time you will have problems with performance when it matters to you

-Nvidea tweak guides list ideal FPS settings for a pre-modded Skyrim typically 45 FPS is considered the stable range

-I prefer 60 FPS when making that run to Riverwood becuase I use mods that make 2-8 mobs show up per spawn

-For me an ideal FPS for stress conditions is to not fall below 50

Cleanup your Skyrim\Data folder

-Remove all mods you no longer use

-Remove all those pictures and readmes clutter

-Remove everything you don't use that wasn't installed by the game or a mod you know you are using

How long has it been since you let windows do a proper Defrag

-If you cant remember sitting around for hours going when can I play than it's been too long

-A disk with 20% fragmentation will cause performance issues and is very easy to achieve when downloading and installing the amount of mods that we often do.

-Performance issues of this nature lead to slowdowns, stutters, and even crashes

How to remove annoying STEAM MODS

c:\users\yourname\appdata\local\skyrim\steammodlist.ini

-You will have to be the admistrator of your computer to get to that file

-You will have to right click on the screen in the folder section

-Tell the computer to show hidden folders and files

-I have no idea why they put it there where most ppl would never find it...but they made it a hidden file

-Anyway open it clear it and save it

Edited by gamefever

Use the No Boring Sleep Wait mod. You can sleep 31 days with one click.

Ooo. Nice.

You may very well be taxing your system to much. Or rather you've hit the 4 GB limit that Skyrim can never go past.

Missing sections of the landscape and interiors can happen when you've run outta memory not just because you've got a mod that has it marked for delete

-Its probably texture related when the landscape sometimes loads and sometimes doesnt

Try removeing texture mods or downsizing

Try removeing mods that are taxing on the memory of the system ie take a look at how many gameplay mods you've got you might have a crash around the corner with your current mod setup

Try a texture optimiser

Remember that the texture sizes we want to use are often really meant for taking nice screenies, as in there are artist here and they make art not gameplay

Maybe...

I don't use many texture mods. I only have a small handful, Four are for the sky. Two galaxy mods and two moon mods.

ENB

I don't use ENB. My game barely runs as it is.

Run FRAPS

Cleanup your Skyrim\Data folder

-Remove all mods you no longer use

-Remove all those pictures and readmes clutter

-Remove everything you don't use that wasn't installed by the game or a mod you know you are using

FRAPS is confusing.

If I were to clean my data folder I'd more likely just ruin everything, in addition to not really knowing what goes to what.

How long has it been since you let windows do a proper Defrag

-If you cant remember sitting around for hours going when can I play than it's been too long

-A disk with 20% fragmentation will cause performance issues and is very easy to achieve when downloading and installing the amount of mods that we often do.

-Performance issues of this nature lead to slowdowns, stutters, and even crashes

Pretty sure I do that every month or so.

How to remove annoying STEAM MODS

c:\users\yourname\appdata\local\skyrim\steammodlist.ini

-You will have to be the admistrator of your computer to get to that file

-You will have to right click on the screen in the folder section

-Tell the computer to show hidden folders and files

-I have no idea why they put it there where most ppl would never find it...but they made it a hidden file

-Anyway open it clear it and save it

I have a .txt file but no .ini by that name. My computer is already set to reveal hidden files, so it's not hidden. Just a .txt.

I get missing pieces when I install new mods that add new structures, such as houses, forts, villages, etc. It's pretty common for me anyway. I can only run a small number of very specific house or dungeon mods, since it seems that 9 out of 10 mess up my game. It's probably a mod or mods that you have to remove. If you have an old structural mod made with an early version of the ck, it may be interfering with mods made with a newer version of the ck. I probably have an old mod in my list of 250 mods that is incompatible with the new mods. There were some ck changes over time that did not seem to be compatible with each other due to what appeared to be outright bugs. The navmesh problems are a good example of that. But I have yet to figure out which mod or mods are causing the issues for me. It may be from modding mistakes, such as dirty edits, etc. which were unintentionally included with a mod, and are more difficult to find. Edited by blitzen

• 11 years later...

About the Steam mod, don't just untick it, go into your data and delete the related files (usually an .esp if it is only Steam).

For my part, actually 3 house mods had problems - but not all users reported them by far, they were very good mods apart from these "side-effects". Now I'm only down to one house mod, and have not even tried to update it, just to play safe.

Try disabling all of your house mods and see if it makes any difference. Don't worry about the items you stocked there, just do a save, quit, disable your mods, reload - see if there's a change. If not, then you just reload the 1st save you made before disabling them when your items were still safe. If on the contrary, parts of your missing textures are back, then you'll know it's defintely one of your house mods.

I'm using MO2 and this is the closest thing that speaks to my problem. I am using expansion mods that work just fine. I'm using Capital City of Windhelm and I love it. But I go and start a new game and for no reason at all, some of the interiors are missing and I can't make them work again. I've even started a new profile in MO2 and the problem still persists.

I tried your advice and unselected the mod, then waited 30 days. Sadri's store is still a blank orangish color even without the mod. It's the only one I'm using in Windhelm. It's even there when starting a new game so I don't think it's lag for me.

Any more advice for this situation?

Edited by Darklustre