Windows 10 Is A No-No

Adipose

how do you relate the issues you have described specifically to windows 10, which was your first assertion?

Hmmm. I'd played with XP and then Win 7 for many years. Had figured out my mods and load order. All the start up bugs were eliminated. Generally ran smoothly up until about level forty at which point I'd start ctds on occasion. Never did figure out why other than to assume(we know what that does)that my tendency to be a packrat had finally overwhelmed the cpu and available ram. Anyway, when I had a new comp built I installed 10. I suppose I expected the new comp to do wonders that the old machine couldn't do and added in some extra mods, which brought the number from around 75 up to about 139...mostly immersive, like COT, several followers, all the usual memory hungry stuff. Some of those I added after a new game start...which may or may not cause problems. Anyway, I started having ALL of the old problems from early days, plus some new that I'd never seen before. The game basically wouldn't run. In retrospect I expected the more capable comp to exceed the capabilities of my old one...which it does in the case of color, combat speed, etc. It does seem to be more sensitive to in game mod changes, though I've no real way of knowing if that's due to 10 or the new system...which is an AMD build. My original post may well have been a huge vent stemming from disappointment. Btw, when using the old comp I'd often installed 250 mods and it would run, though there were quite a few interesting glitches during play...door opening stalls, mauve interiors and gear, combat ctds and freezes, etc. Imagine leading twenty followers down the road and across country. That was back in XP days. Maybe even 98 though that's too far back for me to remember if I had Skyrim then. Skyrim is 32 based and Win 10 is 64, which may or may not be a source of trouble...I don't really know since I'm not a comp head. I do know that Bethesda came out with a Win 10 patch of sorts for vanilla Skyrim, so there must have been some trouble at the start. To boil it all down, I did a complete uninstall of skyrim and then downloaded anew from Steam. I'd also cut the mods back to about 75. The vanilla opener still won't complete it's run, freezing up when the player is given control of his character at the time of the dragon attack. The only way I can open the game is to use the Alternate start mod. I've run it up to level 9 without problems. We'll see if that continues. So, if you want a technical analysis I'm not your guy. I'm a consumer, not a creator. All I know is, 7 mostly worked and 10 did not. It seems to now...excepting the vanilla opener. Wait and see what happens as the game advances and becomes more complicated. I plan on creating an expanded Lakeview and that may be interesting. Btw, I'm using Vortex. Whether that has anything to do with any of my problems, I don't know. Afaic, it's better than NMM ever was. I also use LOOT and FNIS. I considered running nothing but vanilla Skyrim, however, that's now become terminally boring so I scratched that option. If I can't play the game the way I want I'll give it up and go back to Wild Hunt...which I've not yet played to the end. Following that, I'll go back to the Dragon Age series. I may start that at the beginning and play through all the iterations...if they'll work on 10. Currently, I'm also getting mauve interior in Jorvaskr. That's not new. Jorvaskr's always a bit of a problem, though it wasn't during my 7 days...unless I went one mod too many. After entering Jorvaskr, if it's mauve, I'll drop out of the game and go back in, which fixes the problem temporarily. There's a mod to fix several of the Whiterun bugs, but I've forgotten the name of it. Haven't needed it.

Finally manned up and dropped my resolution to "Low", cut my mods back to about 52, and now the b...y game runs. Wish I could say flawlessly, but it still stutters once in a blue moon and I'll still get the odd mauve piece of gear but it's running well enough that I'm reconciled. When it comes to Skyrim, the only really negative aspect of running on low res is that you've got to constantly be on your toes with regard to developments in the near distance. When I say "near distance" I mean REALLY near, as in ten or fifteen feet. Being ambushed by an assassin, bandit, or sabre cat is a real probability...not possibility. It's a bit more like playing WOW and constantly watching for the gank. No more standing on a hill and checking out potential threats down in the valley. The next challenge will be to see what happens when I reach level forty or so. That could be a game breaker. If I can complete the game...and I mean REALLY complete it, including all secondary quests, etc....then I may go back and try Ultimate or Requiem. Probably Ultimate if it lives up to the brag. Well, so it goes. Hey, it beats sitting in a dimly lit corner and playing solitaire. At least the gray matter is challenged on a somewhat higher level and it's a lot more fun.