I must consult with the elder gods... Halp!

Riganzer

So, im having some serious issues with FO4, i used to play FO4 a lot a few years back, and uninstalled, then almost 2 years later i reinstalled(like a month ago) and im having serious issues, first, game begun to crash a lot and not loading textures properly, then, game begun to freeze, and now it freezes the entire PC, at first i thought it was the savefile getting too big, started a new game, and problem persist, then i thought it was mods, disabled all mods, problem persist, verified game cache on steam, problem persist, a lot of performance tweaks and mods, problem persist, a lot of "fixes" problem persist, so i kinda found the guilty one, my video driver, i use amd graphic card(an old one that used to play perfectly fine this game, r9 270x), and it seems to be some issue with amd wattman feature, but i cant seem to fix it, i've found some videos showing how to fix it, but i dont have the wattman settings on my amd configuration, so i rolled back on an old driver(16.11.5) and game runs more stable and dont crash but it looks not as good as new drivers, and other games looks even worse, so at this point im frustrated.

if anyone knows how to fix this i'll be grateful!

Thanks for your time reading and answering to this post elder gods!

I don't think games should look worse after downgrading, but anyway, 16.11? Mine is at 19.7.2 now, have you tried downloading the driver from AMD site, then uninstalling completely the old drivers first, and only then installing the new one?
I mean, i think we both use the same driver, i also have a r9, so i don't know why you have a so old version. Do not update with the AMD software, always download from their site and install it yourself.

See if cleaning your pc of old drivers solves the problem. Clean it all and install a fresh one. I almost always do this when i need to update my drivers.

I don't think games should look worse after downgrading, but anyway, 16.11? Mine is at 19.7.2 now, have you tried downloading the driver from AMD site, then uninstalling completely the old drivers first, and only then installing the new one?

I mean, i think we both use the same driver, i also have a r9, so i don't know why you have a so old version. Do not update with the AMD software, always download from their site and install it yourself.

See if cleaning your pc of old drivers solves the problem. Clean it all and install a fresh one. I almost always do this when i need to update my drivers.

older drivers sometimes run slower, at least on some games this is the case, playing other games like the crew 2 graphics seems... odd, cant quite explain, but anyway, yes, when i do a driver install i first do a driver clean with amd tool then i install the new one, and also download it from the amd site.

Thing is(and i forgot to mention on the first post) this only happen on FO4, Dead rising 3 and 4 run great, Resident Evil 2 Remake, The crew 1 and 2, and a lot of other games, some very recent games, and i have 0 issues, also one thing i didnt mention is that the temps on my system are fine, not rising avobe safe levels(HDDs 35C tops, CPU 80C tops, GPU 75 tops while playing FO4).

Also on a sidenote, i just upgraded to Win10, used to play FO4 on Win7, could this be the issue? i cant really rollback to Win7 for a few reasons, and i personally dislike Win10 but i need it.

im currently using the latest AMD driver, FO4 runs perfectly playable, minimal stutter, textures load considerabily fast, but randomly after a while playing, game crash, freeze, or hang up my computer.

Also i used kinggath papyrus edits and nothing, enboost as well, everything ican think of but i cant fix it.

Tried bigger and smaller Paging file sizes, nothing.

Also forgot to post my specs that arent too high but were enough to play FO4 perfect before.

Intel i7 3770k 3.4ghz 8 cores

10 gb ram ddr3

amd radeon r9 270x 2gb ddr5

250 gb ssd(samsung) and 1tb hdd(Western Digital)

Strange, to say the least. I really like win10 and FO4 runs here without much problems, but i have a BIG load order and i don't even know how it should play without mods... but generally speaking, it is fine for me.

Memory shouldn't be an issue, since the problem happens without mods, and the main game shouldn't reach more than 6gb, but win10 uses a lot more memory. Have you heard of EmptyStandByList? Maybe this can help you someway.
I don't know which fixes you tried, i use an almost vanilla ini with some changes only, but rely on AMD and ENB to some fixes.

Maybe take a look at what i use in Radeon Settings that is good for me here, second sticky. I found out that the new Enhanced Sync with FreeSync enabled helped me a lot, along with enabling AMD mosaic to 64x. My games feels a lot more smooth now. I have the iPresentInterval (aka vertical sync) from the main game disabled, also AA and Anisotropic, and use them from AMD. Also try disabling Anti-Lag.

In ENBlocal, ApplyStabilityPatch=true and ForceVideoMemorySize= may make difference for you, who knows. Play with these and see results:
ForceVideoMemorySize=True or False
VideoMemorySizeMb= 2048

Your setup is not the best but i think, should load the main game without problems. You can even try something like Optimized Vanilla Textures to improve the game load, and test a new game without mods to see if helps.
You can also try deleting the stuff on Users/your user/appdata/local/fallout4, and also your ini files and all other inis from your My computer/My games/Fallout4 folder (make backups, please). Then load the launcher, let it create new inis, run the game without F4SE for a while, and... test. See how it works for you.

We are in the dark here, but we can't know how to solve without trying.

Strange, to say the least. I really like win10 and FO4 runs here without much problems, but i have a BIG load order and i don't even know how it should play without mods... but generally speaking, it is fine for me.

Memory shouldn't be an issue, since the problem happens without mods, and the main game shouldn't reach more than 6gb, but win10 uses a lot more memory. Have you heard of EmptyStandByList? Maybe this can help you someway.

I don't know which fixes you tried, i use an almost vanilla ini with some changes only, but rely on AMD and ENB to some fixes.

Maybe take a look at what i use in Radeon Settings that is good for me here, second sticky. I found out that the new Enhanced Sync with FreeSync enabled helped me a lot, along with enabling AMD mosaic to 64x. My games feels a lot more smooth now. I have the iPresentInterval (aka vertical sync) from the main game disabled, also AA and Anisotropic, and use them from AMD. Also try disabling Anti-Lag.

In ENBlocal, ApplyStabilityPatch=true and ForceVideoMemorySize= may make difference for you, who knows. Play with these and see results:

ForceVideoMemorySize=True or False

VideoMemorySizeMb= 2048

Your setup is not the best but i think, should load the main game without problems. You can even try something like Optimized Vanilla Textures to improve the game load, and test a new game without mods to see if helps.

You can also try deleting the stuff on Users/your user/appdata/local/fallout4, and also your ini files and all other inis from your My computer/My games/Fallout4 folder (make backups, please). Then load the launcher, let it create new inis, run the game without F4SE for a while, and... test. See how it works for you.

We are in the dark here, but we can't know how to solve without trying.

i've tried all that except empty standby list, im gonna test, also i updated to the latest amd driver released a few days back, game feels a lot more stable but problem persist, less than before but still there, i would point at my graphic card, but every other game i have plays perfectly well, even games that i didnt think i would be able to run(Like Dead Rising 4 or Monster Hunter World) i even have more bethesda games installed(Skyrim with a fkton of mods) without issue, this is ONLY on FO4.

I think it probably comes down to two possibilities. First, the latest AMD drivers. When you rolled back your drivers, you went too far back, rolling them back to drivers that were released around February of this year should have sufficed. Upgrading to Windows 10 might be contributing to your issue (this is based on your hardware specs) though it could be unrelated; hard to determine without more detailed info. I've heard plenty of people who are running the game just fine with that O.S. as well as seeing plenty of reports from users who have issues apparently caused by it; who knows?!

From my own recent experience, I'd definitely place my bets on it being a driver issue that's causing this - In the last couple of months I noted that when playing for more than a few hours, Fallout4 would CTD out of the blue (this is on a heavily-modded, but stable build) & likewise the same would happen in WatchDogs2) In both instances, the common denominator was a notification box would pop up afterwards mentioning that AMD Wattman had been reset due to a system crash. I also observed a noticable increase in the amount of heat that my gpu was giving off. The way I solved it was to simply downgrade to earlier drivers that I knew were perfectly stable, and I've not had a single issue since.

This is using Windows 7, 12gb ram, with an i7 (3.6 ghz, not overclocked ) and having a Xfx R9 390 8gb at stock speeds.

The problem being specific to FO4 is what is strange. If the drivers were the culprit, at least another heavy game should show, but even vanilla FO4? :/
Sadly everyone have a different computer and different things can cause issues... AMD drivers work well for me and i am using the lastest ones. But yes, it would be interesting to try different drivers.

If the upgrade to win10 was not clean, a fresh install, then sadly this can also cause some problems. A fresh win10 install should be fine.
But again, we narrow it down to FO4 being the only troublesome game...

I would still point to a clean install of it, deleting all the folders from the game. My games, Appdata and the main install folder, especially the Data folder, and also disable the cloud system from steam to not download anything else that should not be there. With a clean and fresh install, then we could claim that the drivers are really the culprit?

So many tests to be done... :(

The problem being specific to FO4 is what is strange. If the drivers were the culprit, at least another heavy game should show, but even vanilla FO4? :/

Sadly everyone have a different computer and different things can cause issues... AMD drivers work well for me and i am using the lastest ones. But yes, it would be interesting to try different drivers.

If the upgrade to win10 was not clean, a fresh install, then sadly this can also cause some problems. A fresh win10 install should be fine.

But again, we narrow it down to FO4 being the only troublesome game...

I would still point to a clean install of it, deleting all the folders from the game. My games, Appdata and the main install folder, especially the Data folder, and also disable the cloud system from steam to not download anything else that should not be there. With a clean and fresh install, then we could claim that the drivers are really the culprit?

So many tests to be done... :sad:

The driver is the only thing i can think of, because Win10 was a clean install, on a new HDD, and so was FO4, a completely clean install, also as i mentioned before, overheating is not an issue, even tho i live on a really hot region, i keep A/C on while gaming and also an external fan just in case, and yes, everytime it crashes i get the same message about wattman, but thing is, i dont see the wattman option on my amd settings, i've searched on the web for a solution to this and i see a lot of solutions by tweaking the wattman tab on amd settings but i dont have this tab and that i find it really weird, specially because i download my driver straight from amd home page.

Wait, you can't see the wattman on the game tab? You should be using the exact same version as i use here, and i have easy access to it.

https://www.amd.com/pt/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-270x

Win10 64, right? Download the 5.2 or 8.1, it shouldn't really matter, i have 7.2 here right now. Open the Game tab, then open Fallout 4, and in the top there is a Wattman tab. It must have, because this is the same driver i use.
Is your Win 10 full updated? Have you checked the windows update tab to see if you have everything? Are you using a basic win10 version?

Are you really sure you have deleted the old drivers from your computer? After uninstalling with AMD software, restart the pc and manual delete folders from amd from your computer to be sure, or try to find a driver cleaner, i'm pretty sure there are good free ones to wipe away old stuff. Then, install the lastest one and see again if you can find the tab or have any more problems.

Again and always again, FO4 specific problem, so after being sure you do have the Wattman tab and are using the lastest AMD drivers and only it, we must still know why only FO4 have this issue...

Wait, you can't see the wattman on the game tab? You should be using the exact same version as i use here, and i have easy access to it.

https://www.amd.com/pt/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-270x

Win10 64, right? Download the 5.2 or 8.1, it shouldn't really matter, i have 7.2 here right now. Open the Game tab, then open Fallout 4, and in the top there is a Wattman tab. It must have, because this is the same driver i use.

Is your Win 10 full updated? Have you checked the windows update tab to see if you have everything? Are you using a basic win10 version?

Are you really sure you have deleted the old drivers from your computer? After uninstalling with AMD software, restart the pc and manual delete folders from amd from your computer to be sure, or try to find a driver cleaner, i'm pretty sure there are good free ones to wipe away old stuff. Then, install the lastest one and see again if you can find the tab or have any more problems.

Again and always again, FO4 specific problem, so after being sure you do have the Wattman tab and are using the lastest AMD drivers and only it, we must still know why only FO4 have this issue...

i did a lot of tests on the weekend, and i weird workaround(perhaps?) is to sleep 24 hours on your settlement every now and then and game wont crash for a few more minutes and go on and on for hours, wich i find weird....

But still annoying.

And yes, i have the driver from that page, and yes i clean uninstall every time i try to install a new one.

Im gonna try win10 updates tho, i havent done an update in a while now, gonna see if it helps and u know, thansk for the help!