What is and isn't Lore Friendly

rjoseph700

Look, it's not just whether how often you have to rebuild it, it's about what's even the POINT of a house, as opposed to just sleeping in the fields. And a large part of that is: protection from the elements.

MA averages about 1 in 3 days having precipitation in the real world, and about a literal ton of water per square metre per year. In the game world (without mods) it seems even more than that.

Even with the world seemingly having undergone some severe global warming, judging by how there's never any snow, temperatures must still dip at least in the single digits celsius in winter nights, or summers would melt people.

Simply put, if you don't give a crap about sleeping on a wet blanket under a hole in the roof, like these berks do, sooner or later pneumonia would get you even if raiders don't.

Then there are the rad storms. Unless you have a constant supply of Rad-X and Rad-Away, if you don't have something that shelters you when they hit, being constantly exposed to them would kill you dead. Because it accumulates. Having some haphazard planks with huge holes as your walls is not enough. Most people in the game world wouldn't even reach puberty, much less become adults.

Short version: it's not even about whether it's worth having a nice house, it's about at least having a house that will flippin' keep you and your family ALIVE. We're talking basic self-preservation instinct here.

People in the Beth universe basically have reached the point where they can't give a flip about whether they or their family live, or are too flippin' idiots to even realize that there might be a correlation between another kid dying of pneumonia and that hole in the roof above the bed.

That's not something you need advanced science to figure out. Fer fork's sake, even the most primitive tribes in the Amazon, or for that matter animals, figure out that sleeping in the rain isn't optimal.

And yes, IRL there are people living in shacks, or who don't bother cleaning their room. Fine. But even if you went to a shanty-town in the poorest parts of the third world, you'll find out that those shacks do form a sealed environment. Sure, they may be made of unsightly pieces of salvaged material and whatnot, but they don't leave big holes in the roof.

So, yeah, my take is that this is an Idiocracy 2 scenario. Guy gets frozen, and wakes up in a world too stupid to even fix a wall when the garbage truck dumps garbage into their living room... yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen that plot before :tongue:

Except this time apparently my character is an idiot too.

So, yeah, my take is that this is an Idiocracy 2 scenario. Guy gets frozen, and wakes up in a world too stupid to even fix a wall when the garbage truck dumps garbage into their living room... yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen that plot before :tongue:

That's about the size of it. And that's why I said, you have to suspend disbelief at pretty much every step.

Edited by cossayos

Well, obviously any game involves some degree of suspension of disbelief. Just some scenarios make it easier to suspend disbelief than others. The stupidity of sleeping on a soaked mattress under a hole in the roof was extremely hard for me to ignore, to the point I actually had to make a mod to fix it.

The game is entirely fictional and a demand for lore-friendliness can be a stranglehold on the creative process. Just the other day I read of a poster proclaiming he would avoid some mod because it was not lore-friendly. It was like he had locked himself in a thought strait-jacket and was deliberately denying himself the enjoyment of a good mod just for some obsession over this concept. Fretting over lore created in some back room of Bethesda over a beer and pizza... wait, did I say pizza? Now I will need to search Super-Duper Mart for some frozen pizza from before the Great War.

Aficionados I wouldn't mind. What bothers me the most is that typically the loudest about what is or isn't lore, are those who don't seem to have played more than a couple of hours of even the current game. I think the most extreme case was a guy waay back at FO3 launch who started a thread about how energy weapons are not lore-conform. Derp.