Need a Job

superalpacca

Don't you think it would be more efficient to put all your replies in a single comment?

Well, In the case of a National Emergancy (Example: Invasion) or Martial Law, I would have to use my training, but I do admit, Im not much of a soldier...I mean, lets face it, im a Computer Nerd...

Even computer nerds can be taught to fight. Besides, there's some pretty nasty computer viruses out there. :tongue:

Hint: use edit to add onto previous posts. :thumbsup:

Contrary to what stereotypes show, computer nerds are not all fat, basement dwelling slobs that don't have a girlfriend. Most are actually fairly normal people that lead fairly normal (mundane) lives. Most of my computer nerd friends are (or were) married, have children, go to little league games, run marathons (only one of those) most of the guys like camping and/or hunting & fishing, while the women are into raising families and PTA. (some of them like camping too, and one is an avid hunter.

I have a BS degree in Computer Science, so I guess that qualifies me as a computer nerd. I served as an Avionics tech & ECM instructor in the Marine corps (That was about as geek as you could get back then.) And as a supply sergeant and MP - (about as non geek as you can get.) I have children and grandchildren. I have worked as an electronic tech, programmer, engineer and manager - all of these required getting along with non computer people.

As for boredom in the military, I read a lot. Most bases have a fair library, or there is one in the nearby community. Now, computer games and the internet are other outlets that I didn't have. If you really are a computer nerd, you could easily learn to make mods. I also drank a lot. In the late 60s the drinking age was 18 in most states and drinking was considered normal for troops. Get out and do something. if you are bored, it's your fault for not taking advantage of the things that are available to do. Get involved in sports - every outfit has several teams - from softball, basketball, volleyball and probably many others. Learn about the local area there will be places off base to visit during your down time. I found a nursing school not far from one place I was stationed where the student nurses were just as bored and understood that we didn't have much money. Most bases have night school where you can take college classes (I finished my college English requirements at one base). My oldest son was a boy scout leader while he was in the Air Force. There are lots of things to do - but you have to make the effort to do them instead of sitting around being bored.

Bottom line - don't let other people stereotype you. Don't just sit and stare at a screen. Get out and do something instead of whining that you are bored. Avoid that stereotype at all costs. I played softball for years until my knees got too bad. Then I coached for several more years. Most of the people I played with didn't even know I was a geek when I was at work.

Well I dont "Bail from planes" Im a Communications Technician, I sit at a desk all day...

I wasn't talking about flying sorties, I was talking about the unlikely situation of a transport being hit while you're either being moved to/from a recently captured airfield, or just changing location. I would also suspect that they might have some communications personnel on board an AWACS plane to direct communications between multiple plane groups and ground. Just because 99% of the time you'll be sitting at a desk doesn't mean that that desk is always on the ground and thousands of miles away from any sort of conflict.

Well, I have good news, im going to request to be put on an Op. or some kind of Load Master to where I can get up and travel often. but I never even asked if we COULD switch jobs when we got them, besides, my CO talked to me about it and I never thought of it this way....SOMEONE has to answer the phones, SOMEONE has to file the paperwork, SOMEONE has to moniter comm channels...

"Leave the fighting for the soldiers, leave the stuff the soldiers cant do, for us - Everyone in the military has is or her own special duty, what we do helps more than you know."

My CO is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He is a Model Officer in the military.

I know I got in the military to fight, but I guess I should be thankful I even passed basic...I DID almost fail. I would be better at a desk than I would on the battlefield, so im happy.

If you really wanted to fight, the AF is not the way to go. Their enlisted personnel are mainly intended to support the aircraft. Or in your case to support the people who support the aircraft. Very few of them get into the actual fighting.

Even in the Army more troops are in support jobs than combat.

My oldest som was in the AF, he was in Saudi Arabia during the first gulf war - his duty station was inside of an air conditioned hanger.

The Marine Corps has the Navy for most support type jobs and just about anyone can get to fight. My youngest son was Marine aviation ordnance tech - mostly loading bombs and rockets on planes & EOD, but doubled as a door gunner on a helo. He 'accidentally' found himself on the ground as a combat infantryman for several weeks in Kosovo - a squad was a man short and he was 'volunteered' as a replacement. He was involved in several firefights.

As an E-1 your options are limited. But as you do advance in rank you will find more options open for you and you will become eligible for more kinds (and more interesting) jobs. Watch for opportunities and they will come. :thumbsup:

yeah I know, I didnt have much of a choice though, My uncle is a General, so it was easier to get in the Airforce, besides, im not much of a soldier, I admit, if I ever go into battle, if someone aims a gun at me, I might drop my gun and run the other direction lol. no...but srlsy, Im happy with where I am