Help! Steam Hacked?

o12no1

Help just tried to start the game through the mod manager and directly through steam. In both ways I am getting a steam updating window which gets to 99% then AVG jumps in to say threat detected

"Trojan horse Agent3.CDBL" It lists it in my program files as "Program Files (x86)Steam\bin\nattyprobe.dll

I am loath to switch off AVG and anyway even if I did the resident shield will pick it up.

Anyone any advise?

Has Steam been hacked?

How do I get to play my game????

Edited by o12no1

Okay got game up and running by doing the following........

Took a chance and shut down my firewall and resident shield.

Opened Steam and disabled Participation in Beta Updates.

Restarted firewall and resident shield, then booted game through NMM as usual.

Steam didn't try to update and game booted.

Possibly the fault is in the latest Beta Update.

Hope this helps anyone else who may have the same problem...

I have the paid for version of AVG and when I got my newly rebuilt rig back, AVG threw a wobbly when I reinstalled Steam, although I did not get that particular error the OP describes.

If you don't mind a bit of mucking around in the advanced settings for your firewall I recommend setting rules for Steam and allowing all the right ports;-

Required ports for Steam

That's what I had to do. I agree with posters in that thread linked by micalov that AVG is becoming a pain in regards to games and it isn't just the free version that is. The paid version that I have has major issues with Guild Wars 2 as well, and I had to do the rule setting nonsense with that as well. Should I be unfortunate enough to still be unemployed and unable to afford it when my AVG comes up for renewal in the New Year, I may consider another solution.

I subscribe to the MakeUseOf.com newsletter and they recently did a comparison of free antivirus solutions;-

5 popular antivirus solutions compared