King Arthur -Mod Concept Discussion-

sornan

Hello Everyone :smile:

I've been considering the possibility of spending some time working on a new mod, based on the story behind the 2004 film King Arthur, in the Skyrim game.

I am assuming a lot of people have seen the movie, but here is a trailer for general reference : King Aurthur

Ok, down to a few questions here now:

1: Do a lot of people still play Skyrim?

2: Does the theme and story-line behind the mod seem interesting?

Now past the questions-

Here is some general mod info I have come up with so far:

The "should be's":

There should be much of the adventure content in the movie replicated in the quest.

There should be at least most of the group of Sarmation warriors from movie working with the player.

There should be voice overs that at least somewhat replicate me main actors from the movie.

There should be a final result of a somewhat lengthy, adventurous and fun quest chain that uses the existing world content of Skyrim.

There should be a level of fun in the creation of the content by all people involved.

The "Won't be's":

The 'Woads' probably won't be added, because it may likely add an overload to the already large amount of quest content.

There won't be romance content, although a light degree of it is in the movie, I feel the nature of the mod is adventure.

Conclusion:

I could use feedback for one. <-- Please feel welcome to voice input

I was once well versed in the editing of Oblivion, but I will need to spend some time getting acquainted with Skyrim editing. I am well versed in coding, so hopefully scripting in Skyrim should come without too much time.

I will need to spend some time in game and start creating a '3d' plot in an appropriate area where towns, castles and environment in general will cater to the quest content.

Not going to worry about messing up original game content right now, some sort of reset command can probably be used to return all towns/cities/castles to their original states if a player desires to.

The content will be clean, with plenty of adventure, and will leave a sense of satisfaction of good/great stuff made by those involved.

Making the content, for those involved, will have a level of fun involved, as this is not about prestige nor download count. Just people having some fun doing things they are good at.

Videos in game would be great as cut scenes, although I don't know if Skyrim supports this or not - will have to find out.

It would also be nice to actually get one or more scripter/editor on board, along with potentially voice actors. All of my past projects released have been one man bands in the editing/scripting area - when you compile this with story application, mission flow, testing, editing, scripting, voice over work, etc - it tends to take a long time being one person, would be really cool to have some help.

For now, that is it. Will update as things progress.

Edited by sornan

Ok, so been doing some contemplating.

No, King Arthur doesn't fit directly into the lore of Skyrim..

Still, the concept is sound to implement - but with it being adjusted to the story

First thought, wait until the player has truly won the entire Skyrim campaign, and then allow them to pursue a new path in joining a new faction to deal with a rogue force that is attacking towns and threatening a region - where the content emulates King Arthur, saving villagers, fighting off rogue armies along the way, with a climax.

Yes, the content would be more rooted in the Skyrim lore, but emulation is still possible.

Ah, this is the second time I've visited this concept, over the past few years..

See what happens, might just forget it, certainly not going to pour months of effort into something no one wants :smile:

/edit

One of the issues I run into now is the same issue I ran into before in the potential story line. That the player, in the end game content, could have chosen one of two factions to support, so that either the Imperials reign or the "other guys" - can't remember the name of the other faction. But, to bring some level of emulation to the game from King Arthur, at very least, the towns, cities and castles involved would essentially be controlled by the empire - to emulate the Roman presence and their gear. With the potential for two different outcomes at end game, leaves a roadblock that previously killed this concept.

In BladeSong, it was really a 'strait line', I knew where the player would be, what current situation would be in game, and the story worked in very well without disrupting too much..

This concept would work "Great" if the end game content always resulted in the Imperials owning the land, but without that certainty, I'm really now sure how this would work out. I can say that the content could be really cool, but integration is.. ehh.. well I would really welcome some input.

Edited by sornan

Once upon a time, I've seen King Arthur the 2004 movie. It certainly hits the right beats as an inspiration for a Skyrim mod. Frankly I don't remember its plot that much, but it was set after the fall of Roman empire at Britain, so I don't readily see it as obstacle that there could be Stormcloaks or Imperials in someone's playthrough. On the other side, Blood of the Nords is a mod for Stormcloak-sided playthroughs only, so if you'll make an Imperial-sided-only quest mod, and the content will be good, it will be okay.

Once upon a time, I've seen King Arthur the 2004 movie. It certainly hits the right beats as an inspiration for a Skyrim mod. Frankly I don't remember its plot that much, but it was set after the fall of Roman empire at Britain, so I don't readily see it as obstacle that there could be Stormcloaks or Imperials in someone's playthrough. On the other side, Blood of the Nords is a mod for Stormcloak-sided playthroughs only, so if you'll make an Imperial-sided-only quest mod, and the content will be good, it will be okay.

Hi Simtam

Thanks for the feedback :)

Yea, I've had a hard time wrapping my head around how to do both factions, as I would be either utilizing specific npcs for at least dialog for quests or putting in my own - either way it would be.. kind of doing a fair amount of it twice, and the potential same goes for any added npc's with waypoint plans and scripts, may need 2 sets, one for each faction. It may not be as bad as it seems, as alot of the content would just be replicated with different npc's, but there is little doubt to some degree it starts looking like 2 different quests for each faction practically. Going just Imperial, is possible but I really feel like it could be ripping the content away from a lot of people too.

Ah, have to keep plodding around it.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

/Edit

Still been looking things over, along with the potential use of some mods that assist with lighting issues (and other things) in game, as of course suggestions that may included in a possible quest mod release down the road.

Edited by sornan